DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal went crazy on a flight today

Reactions
Today I was flying my Mavic Air and all was well until I ascended to 200FT and started a (manual) orbit, when the gimble went crazy. As for what I mean by "crazy", it was quite similar to this although in addition to "dangling" it also shook. I was fairly sure it wasn't wind, since the tops of the trees were barely moving, (and besides the forecast was for gusts of 7MPH max). While hovering at 200FT and still experiencing the craziness I pulled up the roll/pitch indicator in the GO4 app and it showed the aircraft was nicely level. Upon descending back to about 75FT, the gimbal starting working properly again.

I pulled the TXT log from my phone and converted it to CSV and took a look to see if anything stuck out. What I found is that correlating the timestamps, along with recording status, it seems that when the craziness occurred, GIMBAL.roll was non-zero, but at all other times it was 0. I also located in the log where I was hovering while inspecting the roll/pitch indicator, and GIMBAL.roll was non-zero, but both the aircraft pitch and roll were within 3 degrees of level.

So I'm left wondering, what on earth was going on here? I've done this exact maneuver (manual orbit at 200FT) at this location many times before in stronger winds and never had any issues. I am on firmware 3.3.14. Edit: temperature during the flight was about 55F.

Here's a snippet of what the GIMBAL.roll column looks like in the log. After takeoff it was 0 until the problem started happening, then after the problem went away it goes back to zero.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
The video you linked to in the beginning of your post most likely had the problem from strong and gusting winds.

From what you state the aircraft was only showing minor pitch and roll at 200 feet, but the gimbal was all over the place.

I would suggest you follow the guidelines in the help forum for uploading txt log and dat files for scrutiny of our experts. They can give you a much better picture of what is happening.

Reactions: Thomas B

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest