DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal won't respond

f8guy

Reactions
My original problem was a crash into some limbs that caused one of the rubber band things on the gimbal plate to break. I replaced the plate and put everything back together and had no image show up on my iPhone which I use in the controller. I took it all back apart and moved the long strip of wires, I had put them under instead of over the plate and I think it was crimping them. Got it all together again and I have a picture, but now the gimbal won't let me move it from the controller. I can take pictures but can't move it up or down. When it powers up it moves and flips around backwards. When I try to calibrate the gimbal it won't work.
First question is what do you think is wrong, is something unhooked or damaged? My fear is that I damaged some of the thin wires on that long strip that hooked onto the gimbal controller board.
Second question is do I have to put the whole thing back together before I can test it if I take it all the way apart again?

Problem? Gimbal won't respond

Was unit in a crash? Yes, seemed minor and everything worked fine after crash except the gimbal was hanging weird and I got a gimbal vibration warning. Then I tried the repair I told about above

What have you tried so far? Listed above

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? iPhone

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? No idea, just got it Memorial Day weekend

What Go app version are you using? DJI Go4

Any modification?
(if so what) none

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) no

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) no

When I power it up the camera goes from facing forwards to flipping around and then ends up facing down.

@Thunderdrones may be able to help. My first thought was to recalibrate the RC, just in case the craft is receiving a down camera command from a poorly calibrated RC. Even though it doesn't seem to be the likely fix - it may be worth a shot.

Reactions: Former Member
My fear is that I damaged some of the thin wires on that long strip that hooked onto the gimbal controller board.

If you are referring to the silver stranded cable, that wont affect the pitch control of your gimbal.

do I have to put the whole thing back together before I can test it if I take it all the way apart again?

Yes if you are testing the gimbal pitch control.

When it powers up it moves and flips around backwards. When I try to calibrate the gimbal it won't work.

Sounds like a bad ribbon cable. While it's apart, look for even the smallest tear in the cable. That will cause your motor assembly to go crazy. Also make sure your connectors on the flat ribbon are all snapped in.

I don't see any damage but I did notice where I had the ribbon sandwiched between the arm to the gimbal and the mounting plate. I moved it out but it didn't help.

@Thunderdrones Can someone drop off a drone with you or do you only take them by UPS? I'm right up the road and will be traveling right through your area Monday and could drop it off.

I don't see any damage but I did notice where I had the ribbon sandwiched between the arm to the gimbal and the mounting plate. I moved it out but it didn't help.

Can someone drop off a drone with you or do you only take them by UPS? I'm right up the road and will be traveling right through your area Monday and could drop it off.

Sent you a PM. My email is [email protected].

Sent you a PM. My email is [email protected].
Wait a minute! I used to think that you were the go-to guy, the guy who can not just make the drone better - but better than better! But you still have an AOL email address. I didn't know they had drones in the 90s. What was it like working with the Wright Brothers? Ok, sorry Rob - I'm done. I just could not walk away from that. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS