DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimble stuck - DRONE CRASH

mini3

Reactions
Hey there,

I crashed my drone and the gimble came off, the wires are still connected.

I tried fixing what I could - the drone still flies and the camera is fine thankfully.

However, the gimble is stuck, so it seems there is an internal issue with the hardware.

I have posted some pictures here... can anyone help?

I am currently in France and was looking to use the trip as an opportunity to get some great shots, managed to get some before it crashed. The drone repairers that I have spoken to in France have said they might not be able to fix the gimble because there are no parts for the gimble in France. Same goes for the UK. Found a guy in Istanbul who claims he can fix it and has a comprehensive teardown video of the gimble on his youtube channel.

I am hoping I don't have to send it back to DJI because this will be minimum (if i am lucky) 2 week turnaround (I have been told if I am in the EU) which is longer than the time I expect to be out here in France.

Does anyone know what might be the problem internally here? I have posted some photos, will upload more if needed. I am travelling to some electronics experts in france that might be able to help me out, but really keen to try and fix this myself if it's something relatively simple.

The photo with the red circle shows where the damage is, the other photos is the repair I have done so far.

The drone flies fine, the camera still works, its just the gimble.

Any help would be grand !!! Any advice?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220725-162756__01__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220725-162756__01__01.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20220724_090815.jpg
    IMG_20220724_090815.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20220725_140449.jpg
    IMG_20220725_140449.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20220725_140536.jpg
    IMG_20220725_140536.jpg
    887.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20220725-162756__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220725-162756__01.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 46
@mini3 i presume that you didnt purchase the care refresh for your drone ,because the only place you are going to get that repaired is through DJI at the moment ,and what will happen is they will replace it with another drone ,you just need to contact them and find out the cost

I'd send it in for repair, to DJI.
It may be a trick of the light but if you look closely at the 4th photo, the gap between the still attached arm and what is below it does not look parallel, as if something is skewed or perhaps a cover is not correctly seated.

100% send it back to DJI for repair quote, they did my Mavic 3 with damaged gimble for £79 & sent back a brand new drone, don't even bother trying to repair it, I had no care refresh, very happy with outcome, extra careful with the mavic 3 now.

The drone flies fine, the camera still works, its just the gimbal.

Any help would be grand !!! Any advice?

The gimbal controls the camera, so without it functioning correctly, you are out of options. Send it in for repair, pay the reasonable invoice, and start over with a brand new drone!

Think this is the wrong forum?
It was and just moved it. Never saw it and it wasn’t report so 🤷‍♂️
Should be right now if not report it and it will be moved again.
Thanks 👍

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I recently had that problem with my Mini 1, and after watching a YouTube video, I was able to clear the little piece of grit that was causing it by just working the gimbal slowly while blowing on the bearings through a straw. Worth a try before sending it in.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242