DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Girvan, Scotland

Very nice!

Nice composition :)

It doesn't look as sharp as a mini3 should be able to produce. Am wondering if the focus is off a bit? I've had a few photos from my mini3 not properly in focus. I think the trick is to set it on manual focus, at infinity. Only if you have things really close to the drone (eg 10m or less) do you really need to move it away from infinity focus.

Reactions: sikspy

It doesn't look as sharp as a mini3 should be able to produce. Am wondering if the focus is off a bit? I've had a few photos from my mini3 not properly in focus. I think the trick is to set it on manual focus, at infinity. Only if you have things really close to the drone (eg 10m or less) do you really need to move it away from infinity focus.
The photo has only taken at 9MP for some reason. There must be a setting somewhere to change it to the full 48

The photo has only taken at 9MP for some reason. There must be a setting somewhere to change it to the full 48
It's not a lack of megapixels that's the issue here, as the pixels that are there aren't really sharp. The 48mp files can contain a bit more detail overall, but look a bit mushier when zoomed in. They're only really worth it if the lighting is quite good. They also tend to have strange purple fringing on some high contrast areas (not standard chromatic abberation type fringing). I guess youve got 16:9 aspect ratio stills, which will crop the photo down to 9mp. If you switch to 4:3 ratio youll get 12mp stills as standard. The 12mp (or 9pm if using 16:9 ratio) images can often be better overall quality than the 48, especially in low light.

To get the 48mp pics tap the button just above the on-screen shutter button and go into the stills menu. In there you should find options for standard resolution, 48mp, bracketing etc.

Reactions: sikspy and RSD1982
I need to investigate all that the camera can do. I’ve only every really flown drones because I love the RC side of things. I like being able to control something that’s flying! The interest in photography is new and something i need to study.

I need to investigate all that the camera can do. I’ve only every really flown drones because I love the RC side of things. I like being able to control something that’s flying! The interest in photography is new and something i need to study.

Infinity focus is great for what you posted, even try tapping the screen, not sure what the mini3p and fly app offer in settings for this or how it sets focus in various auto modes.

The Mini3p has essentially 3 focus modes: Auto, manual and infinity. Near the right hand side of the screen, in photo mode, there should be a small button that either has AF, MF or an image of mountain peaks. Tapping that will switch between auto focus (AF) and infinity focus (mountain peaks). Dragging the button up/down will switch to manual focus. The button will change into a slider to set the focus.

I usually leave it on infinity focus as that is good for most pictures. The only time it wouldn't work is when there's something close (ie less than about 10m) in the frame that I want in focus.

If you really want to get the most out of the camera then I'd recommend exploring the world of RAW image files. You can get really excellent results, even with a few small basic adjustments. If you have an android tablet or phone then try out the free Snapseed image editor, or if you have a Samsung then head to the Galaxy store and get the free version of Lightroom. Both are fairly easy to use and can totally transform pictures.

Happy snapping! :)

Yes, that was my first thought. Aside from that, I love the composition of the shot. You photos makes it looks like the quintessential lovely small Scottish town.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman