DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Go easy on the new guy ?

I try to fly where the camera sees people without the dangers of hurting them. Thus, if the camera falls out of the sky on to someone's head at the beach, you are in a lot of trouble. But if you go out from the shore and shoot back at the people and go transversely BY the people it is better. If the drone falls, it falls into the ocean. Better for the people , but not for the drone. The same theory applies to highways and cars. No need to fly directly over a highway when you can get the same or better perspective by flying along besides the highway.

It seems a little clarification regarding ND filtration is needed. ND filters simply darken exposure. They are primarily used in cinematic and still photo applications where the camera operator wants a shallow depth of field, but current shutter speed and aperture options won't allow it.

If your standard, bright sunlight exposure is 100 ISO, 1/100 second shutter and f/16 aperture, then pretty much everything in the frame will be relatively in focus (sharp). By introducing ND filtration, you effectively lower the ISO by reducing the amount of light that enters the lens. This allows you to "open up" the aperture (f/5.6, f/4, or lower, depending on the filter factor or ND rating. With a larger aperture (smaller f/ stop number) your depth of field becomes more shallow, throwing the foreground and/or background out of focus (what folks here are referring to as "blur", I think) thereby emphasizing your subject.

The only way to get "motion blur" with an ND filter is by changing the shutter speed, instead of the aperture, which is a mistake because then you have poor definition, or resolution, overall, but especially if the camera, the subject, or both are moving. Which, in the case of most drone work, is 99% of the time. If you want crisp motion then keep your shutter speed as fast as possible while balancing exposure (ND or no ND).

Of course, shooting 720P has less resolution than Full HD, which has much less resolution than 4K, but that is a whole other discussion.

I hope this clears it up a bit.
Ok, I believe you are correct. You seem to be emphasizing the Exposure Triangle(attached) which I believe is constantly changing in HDR mode. So now please help me with this question concerning my MA2 with a fixed aperture of f/2.8 :

Will my MA2 in HDR mode(no filter) out perform HDR with a ND8 on a sunny summer Texas day?

Attachments

• 2021-02-13 (1).png
    2021-02-13 (1).png
    376.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Hauptmann

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa