DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gogglishish.

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
Didn't have much time between yardwork (herself has demands) and supper yesterday to go try the goggles (and test the MP camera), but finally got out there yesterday evening for a quick test.

In short. They are great.

So, first set them up for my buddy to try and did a bad boy S-mode take off at full up and forward sticks. All I heard was a moan from Pierre...

Weather was severe VFR so the spring greenery in the display with blue sky reflections off of the water was beautiful.

It was in head tracking mode so he could look around as I flew over field, forest and marsh. This makes screen referenced flying a bit odd as you have to sort of filter out his head movements. Good idea to keep that bird in sight. He thought that was great.

Some fellow stopped his car and came over to chat. He said he had some drone model I didn't recognize and as we chatted he said that a few days ago the police gave him a warning when they found him flying within a 2 km of a small airport.

Meanwhile, landed the drone, took over the goggles, left them in head track and did an FPV takeoff and ran around the fields nearby. Amazing. FPV landing was easy and with practice could be very easy. Head tracking in this mode also allows for checking more to the sides and below while approaching.

Then let the "visitor" try the goggles. He was a nervous sort with his head all over the place. He loved it and claimed he was going home to max out the credit cards. (He was amazed at the MP as well as the goggles).

After that I did a goggle-less flight to a place where I could test the camera. Took several shots with the focus point at different points (camera pointing straight down at a flat area with distinct features. Shots look pretty sharp across the screen - perhaps a tad soft on the right side but nowhere as bad as the prior 2 cameras). I'll go shoot again with the camera turned 180 to try it again.

(To test the camera I find a flat place with good detail on the ground and shoot straight down. What I forgot to do was turn 180 in heading for more shots.)

I had a bunch of things to do also so only got 3 flights in with the goggles over the weekend . I was hoping to fly today but work called and asked me to come in :( At least working today will pay for the goggles :)

The head tracking with the gimbal is cool but does take some getting used to . On the race drones while flying FPV the camera stays straight of course , so had to get used to looking around with the camera while trying to keep flying in the direction I wanted to . I carried them over to a friends house and tried to get them to work on his Inspire2 but all I could get was the video feed , I could never get the head tracking menu to come up . I thought all you had to do was plug the cable in but I'm going to have to read some more I guess . I ended up flying my Mavic while he wore the goggles and looked around . I flew about 2000' out over the lake and around while he was moving the gimbal and that takes even more getting use to . I wouldn't recommend doing that in an area you are not familiar with ,lol . I probably need to read some more but a button on the controller or app to deactivate the head tracking and put back into regular FPV mode would be nice . There may be one , I haven't looked yet .

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
I don't believe you'll get head tracking with the inspire yet (nor with the Phantoms). Some say it's a feature yet to come but that is in DJI's queue.

I don't believe you'll get head tracking with the inspire yet (nor with the Phantoms). Some say it's a feature yet to come but that is in DJI's queue.

I was going by Page 11 of the manual says it does support head tracking on the inspire 2 but I tried both the USB and HDMI cable only getting live view .

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech