DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going over a cliff

Your words, go back to grade school and learn to read. You made up a crap load of assumptions based off your own insecurities and inability to read. Meta 4 quit trolling, the pure fact that the majority of your 12,000+ comment history shows that you get off arguing with people online.
Too much coffee this morning?

Point of launch which is typically from where your remote is unless you're taking off from a launch pad else where.
Agreed.
Or you're not flying VLOS
Hmmm agreed ....... sort of
Pretty sure those commenting just want to troll and know exactly what I was saying.
I still have absolutely no idea how ANY of the above connects "AGL" to "distance from your controller", as you said in post #31
It uses the distance from your controller to calculate AGL.

Point of launch which is typically from where your remote is unless you're taking off from a launch pad else where. Or you're not flying VLOS. Pretty sure those commenting just want to troll and know exactly what I was saying.
I worry more that people might read your original post and not understand exactly what your were saying, or worse read it and take what you wrote to be literally true, even after you edited your original wording.

It uses the distance from your point of launch [edit: which is typically darn close to your controller] to calculate AGL.
It's not distance, it's height.

Your "point of launch", if from the ground, can be several feet lower than your handheld controller, if you're 6'-3" tall like me. And the distance from "your point of launch" can vary by a lot if you launch from a moving boat, or even if you just walk any distance while flying your drone.

The sensor is not even actually measuring height. The sensor measures barometric pressure, with changes in that pressure converted by the flight controller to display as a height reading.

Zero height is registered at the moment the motors are first started (at least it is on my Mini), which also is not necessarily the "point of launch" because you can start the motors while the drone is sitting in your hand and carry it to a different location before setting it down to launch. I made a video demonstrating this just recently, showing that zero height is recorded when the motors are started.

After that, the displayed height is in reference to that recorded zero point, regardless of how high above ground (AGL) the drone actually is flying over varying terrain elevations.

Accusing others of not being able to read, or telling them to read their user manual, or take a Part 107 course, in order to understand what you wrote isn't going to win you many friends.

Point of launch which is typically from where your remote is unless you're taking off from a launch pad else where. Or you're not flying VLOS. Pretty sure those commenting just want to troll and know exactly what I was saying.
Correcting incorrect statements without belittling a member is NOT trolling. You need to take constructive criticism with a dose of humility.

While I feel that studying for the §107 exam would do most drone pilots a lot of good as far as understanding airspace, safety, drone aeronautics, etc. it is not absolutely necessary for a recreational pilot.

Please post in a kind and instructional manner in the future. Condescending posts going forward will not go unnoticed. Thank you.

Reactions: GFields

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580