DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Going to Hawaii, need advice...

joot

Reactions
So the reason I initially bought my MA was so I can take it with me to Maui, Hawaii this coming Sunday. Will be spending first week of April in Hawaii with the wife. Will be our very first time overseas. Anyways, here are what I've gotten so far:

1. I will be bringing the MV with combo pack & a Panasonic GX8 micro 4/3 camera.

2. Asus Zenpad S 8 (Z580CA model), video transmission is very choppy, stuttering but has my Note 4 as backup.

3. I've been flying it for a couple days trying to get used to the remote and various quick shots which I plan to use very often.

4. I'm planning to shoot videos in 4K (24fps) in Cinema-Like D mode (not sure how to color grade this yet)

5. I didn't realize that I needed ND filters until two days ago. I've ordered the 16ND & 32ND from Amazon but will not get here until April 4, so no filters on this trip.

6. Will be staying near LaHaina the western part of Maui. Forecast calls for storms during evenings. Plan to shoot videos, pics on beach a lot.

Again, this is a trip of a life time for the wife and I. I like to shoot lots of pics and videos for memories. What advice do you have for me?

Search the forum for spots to shoot. There’s like 5-7 hawaii threads in the last few months. Was there last month and there really isn’t any bad places to see. Film the black and red sand beaches, road to Hana, outskirts (legal section just beyond) of the National Park crater etc. lahaina has a nice town I got some shots over, main street with plenty of shopping. Shoot Jaws is the waves are firing. Plenty of waterfalls. Whales if you can find them and they are still around this time of year. Keep your eyes open for helicopters. Wind can be a factor so be mindful of that. And to me, record everything, there’s no waste with digital it can be deleted later but not reshot when you get home. Have fun. Calibrate your compass when you get there..

Search the forum for spots to shoot. There’s like 5-7 hawaii threads in the last few months. Was there last month and there really isn’t any bad places to see. Film the black and red sand beaches, road to Hana, outskirts (legal section just beyond) of the National Park crater etc. lahaina has a nice town I got some shots over, main street with plenty of shopping. Shoot Jaws is the waves are firing. Plenty of waterfalls. Whales if you can find them and they are still around this time of year. Keep your eyes open for helicopters. Wind can be a factor so be mindful of that. And to me, record everything, there’s no waste with digital it can be deleted later but not reshot when you get home. Have fun. Calibrate your compass when you get there..
Squamer you summed that up great. I will ad I was able to fly at Molokini crater and it was a riot! The company used the picture later in their promo material. Great time shooting everywhere !DJI_0005 2.jpg

All along the shoreline around the island has spectacular views. There’s the Blow Hole and Shark Fin on the side you’re on. A lot of surfing in that side. On the East side, east of the Hotels, there’s Makena landing, one of my favorites. The road ends along the shore east of the hotels, so a lot of Volcanic aerial shooting can can be had.
The whole trip towards Hana is a treat ( watch out on the cliffs ).
There’s plenty to be naming and you’ll need plenty of SD cards ( or backing up).
Just be aware that the volcano ( Haleakala) is a National Park). The road that goes up the mountain has plenty of parking along the side to view the Island and fly. You’ll be above the clouds around 3/4 way up [emoji15].
Black Sand Beach is a natural wonder in itself ( all Black sand).
There’s the Venus Pool, and lots of Waterfalls.
IMO, going around the East side to Hana (counterclockwise) gets better views. Watch for Whales going from Lahaina to Kihei/Makena.
I go visit my Brother there months at a time and still find something I didn’t see the time before.
Take a read from the book “Maui Revealed”. It highlights areas that are known to the locals , and not on the visitors list [emoji6].
Be safe and enjoy[emoji106]

My advice for a trip of a lifetime? Pay attention to the scenery and your wife and have fun instead of worrying about drone videos :)

I disagree. Part of having a trip of a lifetime is capturing some memories, and some 15-minute drone flights are not going to ruin a trip (especially if his wife is into it too). Using the Mavic Air to get some extraordinary photos and video clips is also very possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity. Most importantly, fly safely and use your noggin before you fly. Have a great trip!

Reactions: Coskier
Thank you all for your kind comments. I've ordered "Maui Revealed" a couple weeks back to read on plane. Someday hope you guys all have a chance to go there too...

1. Sunrise from atop Haleakalā is truly amazing and something you'll never forget. Bonus if you do the bike ride down!
  2. Keep an eye out for whales...they should still be 'vacationing' in the islands!
  3. Be aware of the wind, especially once in the air over the water.
  4. Be mindful of cultural sensitivities (watch where you fly, some locals may not appreciate it)
  5. ALWAYS keep your belongings secured, even in the hotel and especially in your rental. Not everyone has the aloha spirit.
- A kama'aina formerly from Oahu

Reactions: Chadnovz
Going to maui to get married in july. Will be bringing my mavic pro. Cant wait

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman