DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Golden Gate Bridge - Legal To Fly or Not?

Brilliant!
Not trying to resurrect an old thread but what about take off and land on the bridge itself? The map clearly shows the middle section of the GGB is not part of the GGNRA. Sure you have to get there carrying your bird via the pedestrian walkways, but if too far to walk, one can always ride a bike LOL.
with regard to launching from a steel bridge, if I were going to do it one thing I would be mindful of would be the possible interference with GPS signal and take care with regard to the home point being updated. I would also return well before the battery was very low. If you can launch legally you can fly legally, for the most part. Along with Chugach State Park views, I launch from the highway next to Denali National Park. I only encroach a very small bit as I might circle around a river that borders the park but I do indeed enter the park if only by a few hundred feet and am confident I am doing so legally. If the middle section of the bridge is not part of the park it would seem to me (IANAL) legal to launch. I would note that the B4UFly app even shows the middle of the bridge to be outside the no-fly zone. You would, however, only be able to fly around that center section as either end is off limits.

Reactions: hhung516
Launching from a large steel structure would probably cause some other problems that you'd need to be aware of.
that was almost helpful :). in the event somebody might actually fly from a steel structure...what tips might folks have when flying from such a place?

Interesting discussion guys, and I really appreciate your inputs on this! I’m not saying anyone should try take off from the bridge, actually I regret putting that idea in your head LOL. Without knowing how birds would behave on and near large steel structures it’s a highly risky operation. I just wanted to point out what seems to be a loophole, which makes me think is GGNRA really that stupid? They’ve covered all those land around the GGB but left out the middle section LOL.

Just got back from NorCal road trip. We walked half way on GGB. Have to say I massively underestimated the wind, it was INSANE I think the Mavics won't stand a chance. Probably an Inspire can fight that wind. Even if you get away with hand launch, the only way for a safe landing is IMO fly out and land at Fisherman Wharf for example and have a friend collect it there.

Also it's kinda weird I didn't see any signs or warnings against UAS at all on or near the bridge. There're signs saying not to throw "missiles" off the bridge (seriously I didn't make it up), and I'm pretty sure UAS aren't missiles, so we have that going for us LOL.

Last edited: