DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good Crash Video!

Chaosrider

Reactions
...for some perverse definition of "Good".

This is the raw footage of the last segment as stored on the phone. I'll (probably) do an edited version of the full flight for this Sunday's video.

The tree service guy is going to come get it down this morning.

TCS

...for some perverse definition of "Good".

This is the raw footage of the last segment as stored on the phone. I'll (probably) do an edited version of the full flight for this Sunday's video.

The tree service guy is going to come get it down this morning.

TCS
I don't get it. Why were you flying for so long and so close to the top of the tree!? It looks like you hit it on purpose?

I don't get it. Why were you flying for so long and so close to the top of the tree!? It looks like you hit it on purpose?
Maybe they have some new tree climbing equipment to try out.

Reactions: GFields
I definitely didn't hit it on purpose.

My current theory is that a waving branch of the tree hit *IT* rather than it hitting the tree.

TCS

I was flying close for such a long time because it was an experiment, and it was the first time I tried doing that. I wanted to get a feel for hovering close to something from the different perspective of 2X zoom. I was switching back and forth between visual observation, and looking at the screen trying to build the correlation between the two in my head.

In the end, the operation was a success, and the patient didn't even die!

;-)

TCS

To each his own …. (at least, while watching your video, I got some exercise … shaking my head side to side 😂) Have a happy, safe, and enjoyable Thanksgiving Day!

that was like watching one of those horror films where you say...don't go in that spooky house..please don't go in it....yikes!

My take on tree's is that drones love tree's and in spite of what I previously thought..I have zero depth perception skills

To each his own …. (at least, while watching your video, I got some exercise … shaking my head side to side 😂) Have a happy, safe, and enjoyable Thanksgiving Day!
My family is doing Thanksgiving tomorrow, so I may be able to get some droning in today. Even the temp might be cooperative later, which wasn't obvious when I woke up and the temp was 19º F!

:)

TCS

that was like watching one of those horror films where you say...don't go in that spooky house..please don't go in it....yikes!
You're psychic...how did you know I watch horror movies?

You never know where the monsters really are, unless you bump into one occasionally...

;-)

TCS

Reactions: gope_73
My take on tree's is that drones love tree's and in spite of what I previously thought..I have zero depth perception skills
Depth perception was (is) one of the specific things that I wanted to both test and work on.

I didn't approach the tree on a direct line of sight from where I was sitting. I moved the drone to a position at the same distance as the tree, and to the right about 10º.

I kept careful visual track of the drone, as I approached the tree slowly from that position. The zoomed video makes it look like I was closer than I was. At no time did the drone appear to be close enough to be in danger, although obviously, it was.

Depth perception is a big problem, and it severely limits how close I'll get to things on the other side of the canyon. If one goes down there, it's gone.

So, now I have one very clear data point about where my depth perception fails, and I'll modify my model of where I (as the drone) am, accordingly.

Thx,

TCS

I think the experiment could have been accomplished without a tall tree being involved LOL

I definitely didn't hit it on purpose.

My current theory is that a waving branch of the tree hit *IT* rather than it hitting the tree.

TCS
I suppose it is one of those semantic things. Perhaps the "drone" didn't hit the tree, but a prop obviously did.

I suppose it is one of those semantic things. Perhaps the "drone" didn't hit the tree, but a prop obviously did.
Maybe, maybe not.

ZERO prop damage. None of them were even loose.

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu