DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good News for Canadian Owners of Mini 3's

rjwmorrell

Reactions
Looks like DJI has provided Transport Canada with a manufacturer's declaration, and the Mini 3 (and presumably the Mini 3 Pro) are now approved for flight NEAR people (within 30m but not within 5m) and in Controlled Airspace to operate under Advanced small RPAS rules.

Normally, this does not present an issue because the drone is under 250g and therefore not normally operated under "small RPAS" rules because it's a microdrone. BUT ... when you add any attachments, such as a strobe, prop guards, long flight battery, etc., you bring the weight over 250g and therefore it does not qualify for micro rules (and must be registered as well).

Today, I got a notification that the Mini 3 is now able fly under Advanced RPAS rules in Canada. Mine was already registered, which is presumably why Transport Canada notified me there was a change in the drone's declaration status.

So, happy news for Canadians with the Mini 3/Mini 3 Pro. If you register the drone, you can fly it under Basic and Advanced Rules (previously it was only Basic) which means in Controlled Airspace and within 30m of people (but not over them) if you decide to add prop guards, the heavy duty battery, etc. You may have to do a bit more research to ensure the manufacturer has approved it for third-party accessories.

rjwmorrell, Thanks for the heads up.
🇨🇦👍
Happy to help. The news shows the benefit of registering under-250g drones in Canada if you plan to use them over their factory weight (like with the longer flight battery for example). Once registered, you will get emails from TC if anything changes with the drone category of operation. In fact, as you probably know, they put it right on the registration certificate. I've now printed a new one for my Mini 3.

Sounds perfectly reasonable - how very Canadian. 🇺🇸🤝🇨🇦

Now if only the US FAA would provide the same kind of common-sense clarity to those of us (Mini 3 Pro owner here, living in Baja Columbia...) who fly both under 250g and over 250g, depending on the day's mission/circumstances.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Happy to help. The news shows the benefit of registering under-250g drones in Canada if you plan to use them over their factory weight (like with the longer flight battery for example). Once registered, you will get emails from TC if anything changes with the drone category of operation. In fact, as you probably know, they put it right on the registration certificate. I've now printed a new one for my Mini 3.
Both my mini 3 and mini 4 pro are registered with Transport Canada. I have not received anything from TC notifying me of this change.

I have not registered my Mini 3 Pro and see no point in doing so unless I purchase the Plus battery which would put the weight over 250g. I too only have my Basic certificate.

I would love to have the Plus battery for the extra flight time but since it puts the Mini 3 into the category where a Pilot's licence and registration is required and all the restrictions that go along with it, there is no real point in doing so because I already have a drone in that category and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a Micro drone in the first place.

I am waiting for the day when the Mini series can become my only drone with a good enough camera system (dual cameras) and I can fly it under 250g or purchase a plus battery and fly it in the >250g category with a licence. Likely not possible for quite a while but its good to have dreams.

Chris

Last edited:
I would love to have the Plus battery for the extra flight time but since it puts the Mini 3 into the category where a Pilot's licence and registration is required and all the restrictions that go along with it, there is no real point in doing so because I already have a drone in that category and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a Micro drone in the first place.
I fly my Mini 3 Pro with the Plus battery whenever I go hiking. It's a lot easier to carry than my Mavic 2 Pro, and I find I'm much more likely to actually fly it because I'm not as tired from shlepping a pack full of gear.

I've also reverted to a APS-C camera from a full-frame, mostly because that halves the weight of my kit. Same reason: more energy to actually use it during a long hike.

YMMV, of course. And ten years ago I had no problem with a full pack; getting old isn't much fun (although retirement is!).

Reactions: Chrislaf
I fly my Mini 3 Pro with the Plus battery whenever I go hiking. It's a lot easier to carry than my Mavic 2 Pro, and I find I'm much more likely to actually fly it because I'm not as tired from shlepping a pack full of gear.

I've also reverted to a APS-C camera from a full-frame, mostly because that halves the weight of my kit. Same reason: more energy to actually use it during a long hike.

YMMV, of course. And ten years ago I had no problem with a full pack; getting old isn't much fun (although retirement is!).
I also hike a lot (or Nordic ski or snowshoe) to locations in winter so the plus battery is something I have considered. I have no problem with registering my Mini 3 Pro, but I have been spoiled by the 3 cameras on the Mavic 3 Pro and the quality of the main 24mm camera.

I also have an APS-C camera with a super-zoom that I carry with me everywhere I go because it's light, small and versatile.

I may have to re-consider the Plus battery.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne