DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good places to fly in the Phoenix area?

AtomQ

Reactions
Any good places you've found in Phoenix to fly your drone? I have already identified several parks from this site and contacted the parks people in Gilbert where I was told that most of their parks allow drones (except by the airport). I went to Freestone Park (Gilbert) and flew.

I don't know much about Chandler, Mesa, Tempe...

I happen to live by Sky Harbor which knocks out a chunk of space in my neighborhood. Any other spots you've flown?

The Superstition Mtns are interesting, out near Apache Junction. I love flying to the top and looking around. However you'd need a P4P with altered flight parameters to go to the top.

Last edited:
The Superstition Mtns are interesting, out near Apache Junction. I love flying to the top and looking around. However you'd need a P4 with altered flight parameters to go to the top.

Awesoome - thanks for sharing! I just moved to the area and was wondering if shooting there was even possible.... Nice work!

sorry but what is a P4 with altered flight parameters to go to the top? Going to Apache Junction soon for the Winter.
Mike W.

sorry but what is a P4 with altered flight parameters to go to the top? Going to Apache Junction soon for the Winter.
Mike W.
It's a Phantom 4 Pro. With firmware before June 2017, that particular drone has a back door hack allowing you to modify the flight parameters, enabling the ability to climb higher than 1640ft AGL (500M). That mountain is about 2900' high from a launch point at the bottom. Stock DJI drones can only climb mountains 1640ft high. This kind of flight also requires some good hikers to be spotters.

It's a Phantom 4 Pro. With firmware before June 2017, that particular drone has a back door hack allowing you to modify the flight parameters, enabling the ability to climb higher than 1640ft AGL (500M). That mountain is about 2900' high from a launch point at the bottom. Stock DJI drones can only climb mountains 1640ft high. This kind of flight also requires some good hikers to be spotters.
thanks for the info...be out there in a few weeks

There's actually quite a bit of Class G airspace around the valley, you just have to be careful. I live in the west valley, but I made a stop at Tempe Marketplace last week and shot some footage, you can check it out here -

I also have short clips of Old China Dam (always a cool place) as well as the new resort going up by Cardinals Stadium. Also the obligatory Lake Pleasant footage... :)

I'm trying to get a little more brave and get out of the desert - we can only shoot so many rocks and cactus's!

Good afternoon to all-
The lower Salt River below the reservoir dam is a very cool place to see, and some wonderful drone videos have been made there. there is a herd of wild horses that live on the banks of the river, and they are very accepting of people- and drones- so they are great drone video subjects.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS