DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good time to buy a drone?

stiscooby

Reactions
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this kind of question but.......

I'm thinking of getting myself a new toy and looking at either the MM2 or the MA2. From doing some reading on line I gather there are new rules/regs coming in at the start of 2021.

Is it worth getting a new drone (I'm a newbie/it will be my first) before the start of the new year/early part of the new year, or could I potentially end up having a rather expensive paper weight if I owned what they are going to be calling a new 'legacy' drone over the next year or so e.g. new model drones will come with some kind of certification etc?

I would just like to avoid paying several hundred £'s for a device that will be 'end of life' within the next year or so?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

welcome to the forum, there will be a transitional period for two years till end of December 2022 for legacy drones to be flown as they are now, depending on their weight , after that date they will only be able to be flown no closer than 150m from uninvolved people and structures

And if my understanding is right, the DJI Mini and Mini 2 will be able to fly with far fewer restrictions indefinitely (not just in the legacy period).

See this video from MrMPW for details:

So this is a great time to buy a mini 2 (barring the very small risk of a sudden change of mind by the CAA between now and Dec 31st).

Thanks for the replies.

Hhmm.... bit of a tricky one really to know what to do for the best. The MA2 is the better spec drone obviously but at the same time I'm not so sure I will want to splash out around £900 (if going the MA2 combo route) on a drone that come two years later I can only fly out in the middle of nowhere? Ok if you could sell it on but can't see many people then wanting to buy an out of date second hand drone that is a problem to then use. Saying that, I can't quite visualise how far 150m actually is to something, but it seems like it is quite a way, maybe I will have to get my tape measure out! :)

Are there any signs as yet to when we might expect to see the 'new' model drones appearing, or is that likely to be some way off as yet?

Don't wait for the new stuff and when on the fence between 2 UAS always buy the better spec one, you won't regret your decision as you become more experienced.

This forum's classified section is excellent and highly recommended, I'd browse that and use Paypal for payment, stick to purchases within your country. You can save a lot of money by buying used, just pay close attention to the batteries (no swelling and under 50 cycles).

Good luck!

Don't wait for the new stuff and when on the fence between 2 UAS always buy the better spec one, you won't regret your decision as you become more experienced.

This forum's classified section is excellent and highly recommended, I'd browse that and use Paypal for payment, stick to purchases within your country. You can save a lot of money by buying used, just pay close attention to the batteries (no swelling and under 50 cycles).

Good luck!

I agree.... getting a drone now. Is okay. I would not hesitate. The best time to buy is the present. Life is way too short.

Reactions: Carll
I would agree with the last two replies. I'd never seen a drone, let alone touched one this time last year. I had a 4k tv and wanted to get a good camera to make videos. Then thought a drone would be a good thing. Next thing I know, I'm watching hours and hours of drone reviews. Eventually coughed up for a new MA2.
It's changed my life. For the better!
Any day the weather's half decent, I'm off up a mountain with the drone. I love it. My girlfriend loves it too. We film our walks in the country. I've got healthier and fitter and slimmer as a result. And full of optimism and excitement for the next nice day. Haven't been like this for forty years!
Get one!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S