DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Got my first drone

DeadEnd

Reactions
Hi just bought my first drone, a DJI Air 2s a few weeks ago and sorting out a tablet to use with it (currently playing with iPad Pro 12.9) but I was also wondering is there any software I should download to check the surroundings prior to flight? Or anything that tells me where there is a good place to fly?

I have already registered the drone, signed up with Academy of Model Aeronautics (for insurance purposes) and passed the TRUST certification. Anything else I should be concerned with? I am in the US, Illinois to be specific and if it matters.

There are a number of apps that you might find useful, if not essential. There are some that have similar features and over lap. B4UFly is one and Kittyhawk (I think it's now called Aloft) is another. These will help you spot restricted areas and those requiring ATC authorization and can help you get that authorization (via LAANC) within the apps. UAV Forecast is also helpful in determining flying conditions, including wind speeds at various altitudes. While not available yet, the Litchi app can be helpful pre programming. On your computer, you may find Google Earth and Google Earth Pro helpful as it helps figure out the topography of an area to better assist in determining altitudes, which can get tricky with the ground level changes or you need to know how high buildings are.

Where specifically in "Illinois" are you? Chicago has many flight worthy points of interest if you can deal with the traffic, parking and sometimes crowds. The north suburbs along the lakefront have may places that it's fun to fly. While I haven't been there myself on the south side, near Indiana is the Burnham Harbor, Calumet area that tends to be older, more rust-belt like. I hope to get down there soon before the summer/fall is over.

Reactions: DeadEnd
There are a number of apps that you might find useful, if not essential. There are some that have similar features and over lap. B4UFly is one and Kittyhawk (I think it's now called Aloft) is another. These will help you spot restricted areas and those requiring ATC authorization and can help you get that authorization (via LAANC) within the apps. UAV Forecast is also helpful in determining flying conditions, including wind speeds at various altitudes. While not available yet, the Litchi app can be helpful pre programming. On your computer, you may find Google Earth and Google Earth Pro helpful as it helps figure out the topography of an area to better assist in determining altitudes, which can get tricky with the ground level changes or you need to know how high buildings are.

Where specifically in "Illinois" are you? Chicago has many flight worthy points of interest if you can deal with the traffic, parking and sometimes crowds. The north suburbs along the lakefront have may places that it's fun to fly. While I haven't been there myself on the south side, near Indiana is the Burnham Harbor, Calumet area that tends to be older, more rust-belt like. I hope to get down there soon before the summer/fall is over.
Thanks for this, I was wondering which ones to use. I am in Hoffman Estates area, ironically there is a rather large park a few blocks from my house but I found out that Hoffman Estates does not allow drone in their parks, only in designated areas.

Another funny thing is my parents house is just a hair within the 5 mile radius of an airport... so go figure my luck just gets better and better.

I was so hoping just to go outside and fly when the mood hits but all the regulations make it seem worst than planning a vacation before I can even attempt it...

Any thoughts on AirMap or OpenSky? Those are two other apps I came across aside form those mentioned.

Last edited:
I’m not sure about the park districts outside of the city of Chicago. However in 2018 The state legislature passed a law that, other than municipalities with over 1 million people, meaning Chicago, the state has sole authority over you a V flight. Considering the Hoffman Estates law, I believe, was passed in 2016, the 2018 state law would supersede that. You may want to do your own research to be sure. But here is the quote from the current state law. I would suggest you do your research and print out the laws that you think are pertinent to the locale that you will be flying in and carry them with you. You never know when you are going to have a Barney Fife walk up to you and tell you “the lot is what I say it is“. Also carry your trust certificate with you so that you could show that you have been trained in the rules and regulations.

It’s a crazy world out there and people frequently misinterpret the actual laws and rules and try to bully you into thinking they know what you’re talking about when clearly they did not. Let the printed word do the arguing for you.

SB 3291 // 2018

This law states that the State of Illinois has the sole authority to pass drone laws. Cities, towns, and other municipalities may not enact regulations or restrictions on the usage of drones. A special exemption is granted for municipalities with over 1,000,000 residents.

I have an Air 2S, and I live approx. 2 -2.5 miles from an airport, and when I go out, I request authorization to fly, and get it automatic up to 200', anything higher takes a little longer as it is no longer automatic and has to be authorized by a human.
The apps I use are DJI Fly 1.4.8 (1185) beta, Aloft, B4UFLY, Airdata UAV, UAV Forecast, and Flightradar24. Usually I only use the Fly app of course, and one of the apps for authorization.
I found a cheap 10" tablet, that requires a sun shield in the bright LA (Lower Alabama) Sun. It is working well though When you plug the controller into the tab it rarely goes into file tranfer mode. All I did was enable developer mode, then go to the USB debugging option and turn it on and off, and it connects. It does have a menu for the USB options, but it is whacky,
The tab I got was the: TECLAST M40 Gaming Tablet 10 inch 6GB+128GB 2.0GHz Octa Core I also bought an SD card also, but it's not really needed.
The sunshade I bought was this one, it works but I don't like it much, but I can't find anything else reasonably priced. Favrison 10.5inch L220 Monitor Sun Shade
I also got this to accommodate the tablet on the controller: Skyreat Mavic Air 2S / Mini 2 Tablet Holder I usually sit in a lawn chair so it does not hang on my neck much. I am thinking of going to the shoulder harness type.
You will also need a longer usb c to c cable. I bought this one: Short USB C to USB C Cable 60W, (2 Pack 1ft)
I can't think of anything else at the moment except for strobes and a skin to make the drone look pretty when it's 2-15 feet away from you.

Reactions: DeadEnd
I’m not sure about the park districts outside of the city of Chicago. However in 2018 The state legislature passed a law that, other than municipalities with over 1 million people, meaning Chicago, the state has sole authority over you a V flight. Considering the Hoffman Estates law, I believe, was passed in 2016, the 2018 state law would supersede that. You may want to do your own research to be sure. But here is the quote from the current state law. I would suggest you do your research and print out the laws that you think are pertinent to the locale that you will be flying in and carry them with you. You never know when you are going to have a Barney Fife walk up to you and tell you “the lot is what I say it is“. Also carry your trust certificate with you so that you could show that you have been trained in the rules and regulations.

It’s a crazy world out there and people frequently misinterpret the actual laws and rules and try to bully you into thinking they know what you’re talking about when clearly they did not. Let the printed word do the arguing for you.

SB 3291 // 2018

This law states that the State of Illinois has the sole authority to pass drone laws. Cities, towns, and other municipalities may not enact regulations or restrictions on the usage of drones. A special exemption is granted for municipalities with over 1,000,000 residents.
Here is what is currently noted on the Hoffman Estates web site:

"The Hoffman Estates Park District , a separate governmental entity, has banned the use of drones in all Hoffman Estates Park District parks starting January 1, 2017. For more information about their rules and regulations please visit the Park Rules page of the Park District website."

The Park Rules also notes:
"Please note: All facilities and parks (except Bridges of Poplar Creek Country Club) are 100% smoke free. That means smoking is not allowed anywhere on park district property. Also, the operation of drones is now also prohibited in all parks. If you wish to fly a drone, please visit the Cook County Forest Preserve site on Shoe Factory Road, where flying drones is permitted."

So not a law but park rules (not sure how that works in relation to the law), guess they can ticket you or something...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929