DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS and compass failure in Sport mode

On that particular flight, after 8:42, there is no more updating of the flight record position on map, direction arrow changes (which would indicate the compass was still reporting) but drone stayed put on map 762m out. even though I landed it next to me. So GPS did not turn back on.

2 flights since (first 15min, but flying in boxes outside my house in P mode and tripod mode) GPS fine, and 5min flight over beach in P mode fine.

Reviewing all my flight records, weak GPS and total GPS drop out has only ever occurred in sport mode. Although on my first sport mode flight, did not occur at all. Second sport mode flight, GPS started hiccuping (only for few sec at a time) 1:30 into sport mode flying. 3rd flight started 15s into sport mode (also just few sec drop off then back, still tracking on map), and 4th flight (after new firmware) also 15s after engaging sport mode, and map did not update position for rest of flight, only direction.

Chatted to dealer, they say minimum 6weeks turnaround time to send to DJI. Have a mountain holiday planned in 2 weeks time, so it will have to wait until after that. Will just fly slowly!

Just checked my Mavic re twisted wiring:
Serial no is DCHA (according to interpretation means built 17 December), still has the dustbin picture, so not that recent, but popped the top a little to inspect and it does have twisted wiring already.
So that rues that out as cause of the problem.
Did you take a picture of the wiring that you could share?

Did you take a picture of the wiring that you could share?
No... Only undid the 6 rear screws and lifted rear up to open about 4mm gap, was enough to see the nicely twisted wires entering the legs, but not enough to take a nice photo. Still want a warranty!
That was after I first attempted just loosening leg to do a wire twist, but there was no enough slack, could only slide leg down about 1cm.
According to other posts DJI started twisting wires around beginning December, and according to serial number code breakers o_O mine assembled mid December.

I've been trying to look through DAT files, not sure which values I'm supposed to use, but as far as I can tell, although compass noise increases with increased current, GPS not entirely correlated? Sometimes GPS does not drop at high current, and sometimes does not recover when current drops?

No... Only undid the 6 rear screws and lifted rear up to open about 4mm gap, was enough to see the nicely twisted wires entering the legs, but not enough to take a nice photo. Still want a warranty!
That was after I first attempted just loosening leg to do a wire twist, but there was no enough slack, could only slide leg down about 1cm.
According to other posts DJI started twisting wires around beginning December, and according to serial number code breakers o_O mine assembled mid December.

I've been trying to look through DAT files, not sure which values I'm supposed to use, but as far as I can tell, although compass noise increases with increased current, GPS not entirely correlated? Sometimes GPS does not drop at high current, and sometimes does not recover when current drops?

I was concerned about voiding my warranty, but after some thought about sending it in to have DJI twist them and possibly getting someone else's problem child back with possible gimbal or focus issues that I didn't have before, I felt I was better off in the long run doing it myself, I still have 2 refresh's left that I could use if needed.

So update:
I submitted my DT files to DJI customer care: in their opinion there is no evidence of GPS errors (even though it only fails in sport mode...) and I should fly from another location as there is probably interference.

Have not yet had the chance to fly from another vastly different location - so far been taking off from 3 spots along beach along a 2km stretch.
Have only entered sport mode once since earlier reports, flew for 700m before GPS failed.

Since then been rather windy, don't want to risk entering ATTI mode while the app is worried about high wind speeds...

I just went to a place other than the soccer field and I calibrated the compass there. Now I get no errors at the soccer field in sport mode. I think there must be metal in the ground at the soccer field. Not calibrating there anymore.

I have a similar problem. Everything happened to me when I switched from CE to FCC with the help of litchi and fake GPS. Now I'm constantly losing the GPS signal, does anyone have a solution to the problem ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27