DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Cellular ipad Mini 5?

BillySteph

Reactions
I just sent my iPad 4 mini cellular (GPS) back to Amazon for various issues. I noticed the brand new iPad mini 5 WiFi only is only 90$ more than what I paid for the iPad mini 4. Does the IPad mini GPS (cellular without service) serve absolutely any benefits at all? For some reason I got it in my head that I would be better off with gps/cellular even though I wouldn’t use a provider, no clue why I got that idea. If I am way off base then I am just going to pick up a brand new mini so I don’t have to worry about any issues with the “renewed“ mini 4’s. Any ideas?

Ipad GPS is only useful if you intend setting the home point to another position, while the drone is flying.
The revised home point takes the GPS reading from the ipad, you could however just land the drone again and reset the home point based on the new landing point.

But having cellular running is useful if you want real time mapping etc.
I like it as I can't be bothered hotspotting the phone or caching the maps (cached maps in IOS disappear after the app is turned off)

if the ipad has cellular what do you neede to make it work with the mavic in terms of sim card and a paid mobile plan attached to that sim in the ipad , or can the ipad be used without the need for credit on the sim card in it.

if the ipad has cellular what do you neede to make it work with the mavic in terms of sim card and a paid mobile plan attached to that sim in the ipad , or can the ipad be used without the need for credit on the sim card in it.
There's no need for any cellular connectivity at all.
Many flyers use wifi-only tablets.

I don't know about others, but I feel more confident having the GPS (cellular) iPad Mini. You do not need to have a sim card in it, and the benefits of GPS are worth it (in my opinion).

I bought a used iPad Mini 2 (unlocked) to use with my Mavic Mini, and yesterday I received an iPad Mini 5 (unlocked) that I bought off eBay (Open Box) which so far works exceptionally well with the MA2 and MM. Needless to say, the iPad Mini 2 will be going up for sale.

Again, this is just my opinion.

Reactions: AndreaBB
I don't know about others, but I feel more confident having the GPS (cellular) iPad Mini. You do not need to have a sim card in it, and the benefits of GPS are worth it (in my opinion).
What do you think the benefits of GPS (in the tablet) are?
And do any of them work with your iPad?

What do you think the benefits of GPS (in the tablet) are?
And do any of them work with your iPad?

It has been said that the GPS is required if you want to update your home point, for one. I tend to do this on a number of my flights, if I start at the back of the house and walk the drone to the front. I update the home point with no problems whatsoever, and if this has to do with the GPS, then I am satisfied with it.

At the end of the day, its a personal choice, and I know many fly with WiFi only, and that's ok. Free world and all that good stuff.

Stay safe!

It has been said that the GPS is required if you want to update your home point, for one. I tend to do this on a number of my flights, if I start at the back of the house and walk the drone to the front. I update the home point with no problems whatsoever, and if this has to do with the GPS, then I am satisfied with it.
Resetting the home point for moving such a small distance seems unnecessary, but it's interesting that it works for you with the iPad when it doesn't work for so many others.

Resetting the home point for moving such a small distance seems unnecessary, but it's interesting that it works for you with the iPad when it doesn't work for so many others.

What may seem unnecessary to some may be totally necessary to others, thank you very much :rolleyes:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54