DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Coordinate Go To?

In theory yes it is but if it is intended that the drone be a few tens of feet from the subject then in practise even if the drone returns to nominally the same coordinates the error in GPS may be too great, beside the drone may drift whilst hovering, then there is wind to consider.
There have been several thread where people have complained about drones, that were close to the subject, moving off target when relying solely on GPS.

I suspect that in the absence of VPS, GPS error etc. and wind will combine to ruin the consistency of close up shots, that is if close up shots are the desired result.

Try a night flight in deep darkness without illuminating the ground beneath the drone, hover the drone at below head height and see how close to the drone you would be prepared to stand..
I wouldn't want to stand very close, whereas in daylight I have stood, in confidence, with the drone at face height and the props 12 inches from my face, windless day of course.
I do that quite frequently with a mini indoors.
He's only flying to the location, and then taking over control from there. Whatever the Waypoint GPS error is, it is not relevant in his case.

He's only flying to the location, and then taking over control from there. Whatever the Waypoint GPS error is, it is not relevant in his case.
We will have to disagree, depending on what they sought to achieve I think it way have relevance. I haven't browse the thread recently so I do not know if the objective has been made clear.

We will have to disagree, depending on what they sought to achieve I think it way have relevance. I haven't browse the thread recently so I do not know if the objective has been made clear.
The OP objective seems very clear to just fly to a coordinate location. That's all.

Disagree all you like. But as someone that does this for a living, he’s correct.

Reactions: anotherlab
In theory yes it is but if it is intended that the drone be a few tens of feet from the subject then in practise even if the drone returns to nominally the same coordinates the error in GPS may be too great, beside the drone may drift whilst hovering, then there is wind to consider.
There have been several thread where people have complained about drones, that were close to the subject, moving off target when relying solely on GPS.

I suspect that in the absence of VPS, GPS error etc. and wind will combine to ruin the consistency of close up shots, that is if close up shots are the desired result.

Unless I misunderstood you (which very well could be), VPS is irrelevant to positioning at specific UTM coordinates. While VPS vastly improves position hold when hovering, the only way the drone can determine global positioning is through GPS. So GPS errors will persist whether VPS is active or not.

While the error between the true UTM coordinate and the GPS derived position error can occasionally be significant, drift while on site will be very slight due to averaging.

So, regardless of altitude, don't expect to return to the same location with better than typically a 3m or so radius. Doesn't matter whether VPS is in range or not.

I can hover over a photography position and have a stable screen and video image in even choppy air thanks to GPS and gimbal stability. I zeroed in on encampments in our city at 150 feet above the ground studying human biology/sociology with absolutely stable images. The 90 degree down gimbal shot photograph location was exact and reproducible.

Just be careful Doug. As 107, you know you shouldn't be flying, especially hovering directly over people. While hardware failures are rare, they do happen, and someone could get hurt. We're discussing a power failure and drone destruction over in another thread right now.

Those encampments tend to be pretty dense, with people idle not moving around much. Maybe do this research with a Mini 3/4 with full prop cages? Or an Avata 2?

I agree. The observation video was accomplished off center with a 20-30 degree gimbal tilt to document tents, people, trash bags and illegal fire rings. When unoccupied (daytime)a single 90 degree shot documented gps location of the campsite center - the fire ring. This was passed to the owner of the property. One 10 acre parcel had 40 separate tents with multiple illegal open fire rings used at nighttime.

I agree. The observation video was accomplished off center with a 20-30 degree gimbal tilt to document tents, people, trash bags and illegal fire rings. When unoccupied (daytime)a single 90 degree shot documented gps location of the campsite center - the fire ring. This was passed to the owner of the property. One 10 acre parcel had 40 separate tents with multiple illegal open fire rings used at nighttime.
My across the street neighbor was tazed and stabbed 17 times by a crazed homeless person last year. She was on her morning walk on our local greenway. Small town Utah.
!!!!!She is doing ok now, miraculously. Life flight got her to SLC just in time.

Thanks for filming/documenting.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avivf377