DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS interference testing

bmcelya

Premium Pilot
Reactions
GPS flight interference testing

I have a commercial roof job scheduled within this day/time and wondering if I should postpone the launch. I’m in the second blue cone. Not in the bullseye, but close enough. Anyone have experience with these tests? Other pilots in the area may want to take note. 8am-10am Sunday morning.

Last edited:
I am unsure what happens during these interference tests perhaps @BigAl07 or @Vic Moss can shed light on the subject. If you lose GPS or not.

Hopefully, we can get some answers for you.

I would postpone it without a doubt.

Odds are you'll not notice any differences what so ever but being a Professional Aviation Operator means eliminating or at least REDUCING risks.

I have a commercial roof job scheduled within this day/time and wondering if I should postpone the launch. I’m in the second blue cone. Not in the bullseye, but close enough. Anyone have experience with these tests? Other pilots in the area may want to take note. 8am-10am Sunday morning.
I'll (respectfully) disagree with @BigAl07 here.

I would have no problem flying during this where you are. But a lot depends on what you're doing.z

I would postpone if I was shooting a Litchi mission and/or something that may push the bounds of VLOS.

But for the vast majority of shots I do, I wouldn't hesitate to fly in the second ring.

I'll (respectfully) disagree with @BigAl07 here.

I would have no problem flying during this where you are. But a lot depends on what you're doing.z

I would postpone if I was shooting a Litchi mission and/or something that may push the bounds of VLOS.

But for the vast majority of shots I do, I wouldn't hesitate to fly in the second ring.

I'm with you in that regard but only because you, and I, are very competent at flying without the "Training Wheels" of GPS etc. So many people have no idea how to handle a UAS in a tight environment w/o the safety of GPS. The fact it's a "Roof Job" probably means precision flying in close proximity to the building/structure and that could be a nightmare with shifting or spotty GPS.

While I am in the same boat as you, that's not the advice I would offer on the forum not knowing the level of skills and experience of the operator.

I had one of these quads that was supposedly like a dji mini, but was just a cheap quad without even altitude hold. Blows around in the wind/gone with the wind. I practically was buzzing around trying to fly around my roof. Definitely a challenge with the wind. And it didn't show video footage as FPV, had to look at it afterwards.

Maybe if you had an atti mode operation you could have some fun.

I had one of these quads that was supposedly like a dji mini, but was just a cheap quad without even altitude hold. Blows around in the wind/gone with the wind. I practically was buzzing around trying to fly around my roof. Definitely a challenge with the wind. And it didn't show video footage as FPV, had to look at it afterwards.

Maybe if you had an atti mode operation you could have some fun.
I think "safety" is key here, not having fun.

Wouldn't you have to be flying at 4000-10000ft to have GPS issues in the second ring?

Wouldn't you have to be flying at 4000-10000ft to have GPS issues in the second ring?
Yes sir, that’s the way I read it too. Since it’s an advisory, I’m going to wait for the notam to be issued and go from there.

Folks, thanks for your thoughts on this. Postpone means change the maintenance guy’s schedule, and he may have other plans. I’ve force flown atti for some hours at home for practice. Tricky. I hope Mr. Moss is right, and with respect for BigAl07. I have no Litchi etc., and Vlos always.

This particular advisory is a first for me. If it doesn’t feel right when I get out there, I’ll postpone. When the job gets done I’ll report back. I’m only allowed to fly on Sunday‘s for this one.

Yes sir, that’s the way I read it too. Since it’s an advisory, I’m going to wait for the notam to be issued and go from there.

Folks, thanks for your thoughts on this. Postpone means change the maintenance guy’s schedule, and he may have other plans. I’ve force flown atti for some hours at home for practice. Tricky. I hope Mr. Moss is right, and with respect for BigAl07. I have no Litchi etc., and Vlos always.

This particular advisory is a first for me. If it doesn’t feel right when I get out there, I’ll postpone. When the job gets done I’ll report back. I’m only allowed to fly on Sunday‘s for this one.
It helps to recognize when you're going atti. I have bad gps coverage under the backyard forest and I have to watch for that feeling of it getting away from me. The mavic pro seemed to handle ok when in atti.

I'm assuming the gps interference is worse the higher up you go. I remember being near an air force base, and the GPS was picking up defense satellites in the area, but once you get out of the area, the defense satellites go away. Must be a ground station like WAAS nearby a base. The Loran signal was a ground station that the signal couldn't be hijacked, but gps can.

I am unsure what happens during these interference tests perhaps @BigAl07 or @Vic Moss can shed light on the subject. If you lose GPS or not.

Hopefully, we can get some answers for you.

Thank you. The roof inspection was flown, some of it during the GPS interference test. There were no aircraft anomalies noted and the flight was completed according to plan without incident. The building was located within the second ring out from center, which means the interference was well above me (theoretically). Note that the inner circle of the test was 50’ AGL, which may have caused problems.

If not already, it would be prudent for pilots to sign up for these advisories and associated notams. With increased global military activity, I think there will be more interference testing. This one seems to have originated from a Naval vessel off the coast, but that’s a guess. Another one in the area was activated a few days later from a land based military reservation. Flyer beware.

GPS Interference Test

Reactions: GFields
Over the years there have been many of these tests. Most that I know of where in California. From being on many different drone forums I have never heard of one problem anyone ever had during the test period.

Reactions: bmcelya
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman