DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Jamming in SE US Jan 16-24

GregE

Reactions
Haven't seen this posted here-

GPS reception may be unavailable or unreliable over a large portion of the southeastern states and the Caribbean during offshore military exercises scheduled between January 16 and 24.
The FAA has posted a flight advisory for the exercises that will require jamming of GPS signals for periods of several hours each day of the event. Navigation guidance, ADS-B, and other services associated with GPS could be affected for up to 400 nautical miles at Flight Level 400, down to a radius of 180 nm at 50 feet above the ground.

Last edited:
deleted some extra stuff

Does that affect GLONASS?

Yes. Jamming affects your ability to receive- not the transmitted Satellite signal.

So many things we take for granted are tied to GPS. Remember when the timing signal was degraded for non-encrypted units and the Circular Probability Error was much larger than it is now? In case of 'National emergency' that could be implemented again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
For what it's worth, I use 2 separate GPS units for work and after Solemanie was dispatched, both units were so inaccurate that they showed me driving 1/4 mile off the interstates I was on and in some cases were useless. When civilians were first permitted to use GPS we were thrilled with the accuracy within 30 meters..... and grateful for every incremental improvement in accuracy. In any period of elevated potential terrorist threat, just know your GPS will be degraded. Fly accordingly. Thanks for posting this, it reminded me of my recent frustration.

Reactions: GregE
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose