DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS module for iPad Air 2?

howard.allum

Reactions
I fly my Air 2 using a wi-fi only iPad Air 2. I prefer the big screen, especially as I live in South Africa where it's usually pretty bright and the iPhone screen just doesn't do it for me.
I am finding that when using the Maven app I need my iPad to have its own GPS capability. Has anyone had experience of using a Bluetooth GPS module with an iPad - there's a Garmin one available (the GLO 2) but it's quite expensive so I'd like to know if it works.
Or are there any alternative suggestions?

Have you tried tethering it to your cellphone's hotspot? If that doesn't work you'd probably be better off buying a used iPad Mini 4 cellular/wifi as that has GPS. I've seen them for well under $300. You don't need to use the cellular part to get the GPS.

I am finding that when using the Maven app I need my iPad to have its own GPS capability.
I’ve only recently bought Maven and haven’t yet tried it but I’m curious why you need a GPS capability in your iPad?

I use the Garmin glo 2 on my iPads. Mostly for marine navigation but on my drones for Follow Me mode. Works great and worth the cost. Can have up to 4 units using it at the same time with Bluetooth.

Reactions: Tufargon
Never tried it but this may work. I used to use a usb gps device for my laptop (Winblows) while doing Real Estate Appraisals for my navigation. You'd obviously need both so that you could connect the Ipad to the controller AND the gps. Not sure about drivers etc... Just brain storming. Seems pretty bulky. Capt KO seems to have a good fix.

I’ve only recently bought Maven and haven’t yet tried it but I’m curious why you need a GPS capability in your iPad?
Two reasons:
If you set your waypoints 'in flight' you need the device on which you set them (iPad in my case) to have it's own GPS so that it and the drone's GPS are in sync and the drone will fly the mission accurately the next time, given that they are 'virtual stick' missions, run by Maven on the iPad not by the drone.
Also, the Maven developer is promising to add a 'follow me' function soon which will also be driven and controlled by GPS, unlike the Fly app.

If you set your waypoints 'in flight' you need the device on which you set them (iPad in my case) to have it's own GPS so that it and the drone's GPS are in sync and the drone will fly the mission accurately the next time, given that they are 'virtual stick' missions, run by Maven on the iPad not by the drone.
I’ve obviously misunderstood the process. I thought that the app logged the drone’s current position (from the onboard GPS) and added that as a waypoint. I still don’t understand why the app needs to know where the RC is. As Maven is compatible with the iPod (which doesn’t have GPS in any version), surely this would then remove much of its functionality?

Last edited:
I don't claim to be an expert at all, but my understanding is that the iPad needs GPS to accurately run the missions in which the waypoints have been set 'In Flight'. The missions are 'virtual stick' missions i.e. they are run by the app on the iPad which sends commands via the controller to the drone - the missions are not embedded in the drone's onboard system. But... I could be wrong! (not unusual...)

The missions are 'virtual stick' missions i.e. they are run by the app on the iPad which sends commands via the controller to the drone - the missions are not embedded in the drone's onboard system.
My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the app knows where the drone currently is from the onboard GPS, knows where it needs to go (the next waypoint in the preplanned mission) and sends the appropriate control inputs via virtual sticks to get it there. I can’t see how knowing where the tablet/phone is helps with this.

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the app knows where the drone currently is from the onboard GPS, knows where it needs to go (the next waypoint in the preplanned mission) and sends the appropriate control inputs via virtual sticks to get it there. I can’t see how knowing where the tablet/phone is helps with this.
This is how I understand it as well, the only time the the device (iPad) needs a GPS is when it does the old follow me mode or the user wishes to set home point to controller such as on a boat or while moving. The In flight Way point setting is done via the Drones position using it's GPS as far as I knew as that is the only location that matters. It is not stored in the FC of aircraft but is noted to the app via downlink telemetry. Thus to fly the same route, one merely has to launch from same point, all else should be good to go.

But to the OP's question, many users of WiFi only Apple devices have added bluetooth functionality. Many times the GPS built in just plain sucked on some models over the years. Manned aviation has been doing it far longer than the UAS community...see this thread/site: Adding GPS support to a Wi-Fi only iPad

Last edited:
The In flight Way point setting is done via the Drones position using it's GPS as far as I knew as that is the only location that matters. It is not stored in the FC of aircraft but is noted to the app via downlink telemetry. Thus to fly the same route, one merely has to launch from same point, all else should be good to go.
OK, I give up! Your description makes sense, but my personal, real life experience is that the waypoints set during 'In Flight Waypoints' missions aren't precisely accurate unless the GPS in the drone is 'in sync' with the GPS in the iPad/controller. But I'm probably wrong…
Anyway, Maven's next upgrade will offer a 'Follow Me' function which will definitely need my iPad/controller to have GPS.

OK, I give up! Your description makes sense, but my personal, real life experience is that the waypoints set during 'In Flight Waypoints' missions aren't precisely accurate unless the GPS in the drone is 'in sync' with the GPS in the iPad/controller. But I'm probably wrong…
Anyway, Maven's next upgrade will offer a 'Follow Me' function which will definitely need my iPad/controller to have GPS.
Not saying I'm right either, but DJI doesn't set waypoints like that, nor does Litchi...and they don't mention "which" function might require GPS in device? As they are using DJI's SDK then I tend to lean my way of thinking as that is what Litchi is using...have you ever tried a waypoint as yet in Maven? I don't recall anyone bring this up as yet over the users of Maven since it's inception;) Does the Maven App allow you to set controller as homepoint? Might explain that tidbit...at least till "follow me" is active...but most use Active Track to do that feature now.

my personal, real life experience is that the waypoints set during 'In Flight Waypoints' missions aren't precisely accurate unless the GPS in the drone is 'in sync' with the GPS in the iPad/controller. But
That doesn't make much sense, there shouldn't be any need for GPS receivers to be "in synch" with each other.
That's not a thing.
GPS units receive data from navigation satellites that gives their location.
If you don't have GPS in your controller, that usually isn't important because the drone records it's home point location and that's all that's needed to bring the drone back.
It's hard to see how the precise location of the controller could be used in a waypoint mission, since the home point and waypoint locations are the only location data that is used.

That doesn't make much sense, there shouldn't be any need for GPS receivers to be "in synch" with each other.
That's not a thing.
GPS units receive data from navigation satellites that gives their location.
If you don't have GPS in your controller, that usually isn't important because the drone records it's home point location and that's all that's needed to bring the drone back.
It's hard to see how the precise location of the controller could be used in a waypoint mission, since the home point and waypoint locations are the only location data that is used.
OK…
When the 'Follow Me' function is added to Maven I'm going to need the GPS on my iPad anyway - meanwhile I'll continue to use and enjoy the 'In Flight Waypoints' function…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute