GPS new Firmware

And when DJI gets the complaint, this is what those losers say:
“Santa”? What a joke.

Attachments

• 0EBEBF9D-46BB-405E-BD13-A6CDE613A793.jpeg
    0EBEBF9D-46BB-405E-BD13-A6CDE613A793.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 28
Check out this video:

Unless I missed it, this video makes no mention of when those drones last had their GPS running. The speed at which they acquire looks more like a warm boot, i.e. having recently booted it prior. The difference between a cold boot and warm boot makes a huge difference with time to first fix. Cold boot has to download an entirely new GPS dataset via the satellites whereas warm boot can use the dataset it previously downloaded to understand the constellation geometry, etc.

Either way, something is definitely up with how the Mavic 3 acquires sats vs. prior drones.

Last edited:
I had my most positive conformation today of m3 taking to long to get Sats.... "Wife, im bored why is this taking so long" I am trying to get it up in the air!

• Haha
Reactions: Crashdummytest
Unless I missed it, this video makes no mention of when those drones last had their GPS running. The speed at which they acquire looks more like a warm boot, i.e. having recently booted it prior. The difference between a cold boot and warm boot makes a huge difference with time to first fix. Cold boot has to download an entirely new GPS dataset via the satellites whereas warm boot can use the dataset it previously downloaded to understand the constellation geometry, etc.

Either way, something is definitely up with how the Mavic 3 acquires sats vs. prior drones.
I’ve never had a prior DJI drone take a number of minutes to get a decent satellite number and a home point fix. Hot start, cold start, warm start, or whatever start.

But the M3 takes that long. Definitely a ridiculous unfixed bug here that they haven’t taken care of (unless it’s hardware related to a new chip).

Plenty of videos on YouTube showing this issue now along with multiple threads in the DJI forums.

Problem is- DJI is shut down for a couple weeks for the Chinese New Year. So nothing will happen on this until March. Quite frustrating.

I had my most positive conformation today of m3 taking to long to get Sats.... "Wife, im bored why is this taking so long" I am trying to get it up in the air!
I have had that one myself, with the M3. My biggest complaint so far.
DJI, please don't drag my wife into this locking issue you have, please. Thanks.

Huh. I’m experiencing quite the opposite. My home point often updates even before I get a chance to raise the drone. And if it doesn’t do it then, it almost always does it by the time it rises barely 3 feet. And tbh, this has actually been making me nervous that maybe it wasn’t set properly. But then, almost always, the little beast surprises me when it RTH right back precisely to its landing pad.

I have to chuckle about everyone's impatience with GPS acquisition times! Travel back with me to the year 1989. The average time to acquire enough satellites to calculate a 2D position (3 satellites) or a 3D position (4 satellites) was 10 to 15 minutes! Almost every single time!! I remember, as a young sailor in the us navy, standing in a Westwood marine supply store in Long Beach, CA in December 1989, as a Garmin representative was setting out a table with a brand new item that just came to market, a handheld GPS marine plotting device. It was a Garmin GPS model 45, and it could tell you your location anywhere in the world. That was truly an amazing concept back then. The price was approximately $500, pretty steep for a device with unknown capabilities. Well I went ahead and took the plunge and bought one. My ship, a Guided Missile Frigate was departing for a 6 month tour of the Western Pacific later that week and I wanted to see my ship's location without having to always go find the quartermaster in plot. Despite it not having a moving map display, it was amazingly accurate, even with the commercial Selective Availability (SA) (intentional degradation) of public GPS signals (implemented for national security reasons), applied. The other issue we had to contend with back then was the Dilution of precision (DOP), or geometric dilution of precision (GDOP) as there were only 24 satellites orbiting earth, with only 12, at any one time, viewable per hemisphere. But even then, my accuracy was always less than 50 meters, sometimes less than 30 meters. My commanding officer saw me out on the bridge wing one morning using my Garmin, he was very curious as to its capabilities, as he had never seen one before. My GPS 45 had impressed him enough that after we got back from deployment 7 months later, the Skipper insisted we get GPS navigation for the ship! Long story short, my ship, the USS Reuben James FFG-57, was the first frigate to receive the new technology, and we were featured in GPS World magazine for that accomplishment. As I was also the ship's Intelligence photographer, some of my photographs were included in that issue of the magazine, so I also got some by-lines. I guess it's all about perspective! A minute or two is no big deal!!View attachment 142641
I did my USCG compass and sextant rant in another thread so I won't bore you all here
I just want to say that in my day bread was a nickel a loaf.

I did a 3-way test with my Mini 2, M2P, and my M3 today to acquire the home point. I placed them side by side and turned them on at the same time. My M2P connected to 11 sats in 43 seconds, my Mini 2 connected to 11 sats in 1 minute 55 seconds. I gave up on my M3 after 5 minutes. It kept jumping between 8-10 satellites, never the 11 to register the home point. The only solution I have come up it is take-off to 98 ft, acquire, land, & take off again. I have feeling this is a hardware issue but hope I'm wrong and a firmware release will fix it!

I did a 3-way test with my Mini 2, M2P, and my M3 today to acquire the home point. I placed them side by side and turned them on at the same time. My M2P connected to 11 sats in 43 seconds, my Mini 2 connected to 11 sats in 1 minute 55 seconds. I gave up on my M3 after 5 minutes. It kept jumping between 8-10 satellites, never the 11 to register the home point. The only solution I have come up it is take-off to 98 ft, acquire, land, & take off again. I have feeling this is a hardware issue but hope I'm wrong and a firmware release will fix it!
It’s absolutely pathetic that DJI couldn’t see this. It basically confirms that they do no real or sufficient testing of their products. Embarrassing.

How widespread is this problem?

Anyone unable to fly an M3 because it couldn't acquire enough satellites and they didn't have time to keep trying?

Or it wears down the battery before it finally connects to enough satellites?

Mine started with the Dec 10 update and now it's even worse. Taking 5% or more of my battery just to take off.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13