DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GPS Question regarding Using my WiFi Only iPad Pro 9.7in; Galaxy S8 phone and Mavic Air 2.

PITTMAV69

Reactions
Hello all. Here's the current sitch. I have an iPad Pro (WiFi Only) that I purchased in 2017 for use with my lighting console when I do Live Concert Lighting. I also Currently have an Android Galaxy S8 for a phone. I want to use my iPad (especially since I just ordered a MavMount) to fly my MA2 with due to the bigger screen. Here's the question. Am I able to tether my iPad to the Android phone to receive GPS data for the MA2 and the DJI Fly App; or is it enough that the bird has it's own GPS chip and will downlink that data to DJI Fly on my (Wifi only) iPad Pro? I'm askong to find out if the tether will work with android because I know it won't work with iPhones and also to see if I need to invest in a bluetooth GPS transmitter to link with the iPad. Thanks in advance.
Kyle

Use the pad or the phone. Not both.
Could you clarify? What I mean is; are you saying to just let the GPS chip in the MA2 do the location work and not tether to phone to provide GPS to DJI Fly? My iPad is WiFi only and I didn't think I'd be able to connect to satellites in DJI Fly App unless the pad has GPS. Sorry for the confusion. Just learning. thanks

Could you clarify? What I mean is; are you saying to just let the GPS chip in the MA2 do the location work and not tether to phone to provide GPS to DJI Fly? My iPad is WiFi only and I didn't think I'd be able to connect to satellites in DJI Fly App unless the pad has GPS. Sorry for the confusion. Just learning. thanks
The chip in the drone is the only one the system will use.

Reactions: PITTMAV69
Use the pad or the phone. Not both.
Also; My apologies for the multiple posts. Won't happen again. I was trying to get a quick answer to my question but I understand now the need to not make redundant posts. thanks again

The chip in the drone is the only one the system will use.
Thanks Thomas. I really appreciate the info. I saw a bunch of other threads with people saying they were bummed because they thought they had to go buy an android tablet or new; cellular enabled iPad to be able to fly with GPS. I'm stoked that I won't have to do that. I'll most likely upgrade to the Smart Controller as soon as the need becomes necessary but it's great to know I'm ok with what I have now.
Kyle

Reactions: Thomas B
Not entirely sure but I think about the only time you need GPS in your monitor is when you need to use find my drone. Then you are tracking the drone's position and your position.

Reactions: MA2 317
Am I able to tether my iPad to the Android phone to receive GPS data for the MA2 and the DJI Fly App; or is it enough that the bird has it's own GPS chip and will downlink that data to DJI Fly on my (Wifi only) iPad Pro?
I'm askong to find out if the tether will work with android because I know it won't work with iPhones and also to see if I need to invest in a bluetooth GPS transmitter to link with the iPad.
The drone's own GPS receiver is all that's needed for flying your drone.
GPS input from your iPad is of no use at all unless you wanted to reset your home point to the current location of the controller.
But there's a problem that prevents this working with Apple devices anyway.

Also .. hotspotting to your phone wil provide internet data but not GPS location data.

The drone's own GPS receiver is all that's needed for flying your drone.
GPS input from your iPad is of no use at all unless you wanted to reset your home point to the current location of the controller.
But there's a problem that prevents this working with Apple devices anyway.

Also .. hotspotting to your phone wil provide internet data but not GPS location data.
Thank you. I am eager to learn as much as possible early on. I'm a professional Lighting Designer in the Live Events and Concert Touring Industry. Due to Covid-19; my Industry has been totally decimated as we can no longer have large gatherings in a live music setting and my clients who regularly tour nationally have all suspended touring operations indefinitely. I decided to pivot and have a go at the professional drone pilots industry. I started with an MA2 so I would have at least the minimum requirements for pro work until I can afford to add other AC's like the Mavic 2 Pro and Enterprise and Inspire 2. I've been in a deep dive on everything drone related that I could find for the last month or so. My apologies for going on about it. I'm very excited with the possibilities. Thanks again for the info.
Kyle

Thank you. I am eager to learn as much as possible early on. I'm a professional Lighting Designer in the Live Events and Concert Touring Industry. Due to Covid-19; my Industry has been totally decimated as we can no longer have large gatherings in a live music setting and my clients who regularly tour nationally have all suspended touring operations indefinitely. I decided to pivot and have a go at the professional drone pilots industry. I started with an MA2 so I would have at least the minimum requirements for pro work until I can afford to add other AC's like the Mavic 2 Pro and Enterprise and Inspire 2. I've been in a deep dive on everything drone related that I could find for the last month or so. My apologies for going on about it. I'm very excited with the possibilities. Thanks again for the info.
Kyle
Same here Kyle. I'm from a similar industry, except on the audio side of things....

I got my MA2 back in June and even added a Mavic Mini to the fleet (which is a lot of fun). I did, however, get the Smart Controller recently so that I could round out the fleet with a Mavic 2 (or 3) Pro. Whichever happens first. Even though I have the SC, I also like to use an iPad mini 5 for the MM and with the MA2 when conditions are right. It all works great!

Welcome to the community!

-Alan

I have an iPad Mini 5 (wi-fi only) that I tether to my Galaxy S8 so I can download the map for the area I fly my MA2. It works fine and I don’t have a need to retain the link once I have the map downloaded, including the gps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929