DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grab by hand while hovering as a way of landing

Can I gaffer tape the Downward Vision and/or Infrared Sensing system's somehow to selectively disable Landing Protection but still preserve as much other safety functions as possible?

Can I gaffer tape the Downward Vision and/or Infrared Sensing system's somehow to selectively disable Landing Protection but still preserve as much other safety functions as possible?
The optical sensor is for horizontal position hold and precision landing, whereas the infrared sensors do the precision height measurement and detecting proximity to ground obstacles.

Try taping over just the infrared sensors, and let us know what happens. I've always been curious to know, because I've found those to be really annoying.

What's the best practice and settings to hand catch the M3 by grabbing it with fingers while hovering front of me?

This works excellent with M2Pro with landing protection disabled.

However, disabling landing protection doesn't seem to be option for M3 (is this correct?). The "usual" M3 hand catch by descending to the palm is not an ideal option in several situations like on a boat, high wind, night, etc.

Give yourself some margin for error.

The guy is running a similar thread on the DJI forum, I get the impression he wants instructions so detailed that you could use them to program a mindless robot to perform the action.

I would suggest that literally "grabbing" the hovering drone IS NOT the best thing to do as a routine method of hand catching. It will almost certainly lead to the drone fighting you.

How I hand catch is to bring the drone over my hand and then close the throttle, the drone will descend, detect my hand, pause for a moment and then descend into / onto my hand. With the Mini 1 & 2 and M2P/Z I slightly cup my fingers so the drone descends into the 'cup'.
If your hand is still and you continue to hold the throttle closed the motors will stop once the drone is on your hand or, in my case, in the 'cup'.
I do not have a Mavic 3 so I do not know if there is the 'space' to cup fingers.
I agree. Never grab. Just let it descend to your hand like it would on the ground. Same with launching. I had to learn this method since I fly at the beach most of the time.

I've been hand catching for years without a problem. This is what I do with the M3 Pro.

1 - I turn the downward VPS sensors off.
2 - I bring the craft into a hover (if I'm on a moving boat I match velocity and holt at the altitude I want).
3 - I then gently grab the craft from below.
4 - Once I have a firm grip, I quickly flip it over and the craft shuts down.

I used to do a throttle shutdown using the joysticks, but the flip is much easier and quicker to perform, and I can also let the controller drop (or set it down).

I've been hand catching for years without a problem. This is what I do with the M3 Pro.

1 - I turn the downward VPS sensors off.
2 - I bring the craft into a hover (if I'm on a moving boat I match velocity and holt at the altitude I want).
3 - I then gently grab the craft from below.
4 - Once I have a firm grip, I quickly flip it over and the craft shuts down.

I used to do a throttle shutdown using the joysticks, but the flip is much easier and quicker to perform, and I can also let the controller drop (or set it down).

Are you talking Mini 3 Pro? I guess it uses the Fly app and there shouldn't be an option to deactivate downward sensors.
That's what it is for the Mavic 3/Classic/Cine.

Fastest/best way for me to handgrab my M3 Cine is to go into sports mode and have it facing me! It appears the downward facing sensor in the front doesn't care about something coming in from underneath.

Are you talking Mini 3 Pro? I guess it uses the Fly app and there shouldn't be an option to deactivate downward sensors.

Fastest/best way for me to handgrab my M3 Cine is to go into sports mode and have it facing me! It appears the downward facing sensor in the front doesn't care about something coming in from underneath.
I was going to ask the same. How do you turn the downward sensors off, I mean those which stop the drone about 2 feet above ground and then when satisfied that this is a suitable ground for landing allow the drone to land. I do not think you can. In sport mode the OAS is always off. Just as well you can turn the OAS off via Fly App in N and C mode.

I was going to ask the same. How do you turn the downward sensors off, I mean those which stop the drone about 2 feet above ground and then when satisfied that this is a suitable ground for landing allow the drone to land. I do not think you can. In sport mode the OAS is always off. Just as well you can turn the OAS off via Fly App in N and C mode.
Sorry, I'm using the Mavic 3 Pro.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

This is new to me. While I have tried grabbing the M3 in sports mode once, it did try and fight me somewhat but it was facing away. And I never liked catching in sports mode because of how quick or jerky it can be. BUT…if those front downward sensors do indeed ignore my hand, this is a very helpful find and post! I’ll try this within the next few days. Thanks.

This is new to me. While I have tried grabbing the M3 in sports mode once, it did try and fight me somewhat but it was facing away. And I never liked catching in sports mode because of how quick or jerky it can be. BUT…if those front downward sensors do indeed ignore my hand, this is a very helpful find and post! I’ll try this within the next few days. Thanks.
As far as I know you can not deactivate the downward sensors. You can turn off all front, back and up looking sensors via Fly App by turning the obstacle avoidance off but not the downward ones. In Sport mode the OAS is switched off by default

Last edited:
There is no way to disable the downward sensors on any DJI Fly drone.
The downward sensors are still active in Sport Mode.

You can turn off the obstacle avoidance in the fly app and avoid the jerky handling of SPort Mode.

What I do basically is, simply stretch out my palm, keep it wide open and rock steady and let the drone land on it. Attempting to catch it with your hand might result to the propellers slashing your fingers.

Reactions: MS Coast
What I do basically is, simply stretch out my palm, keep it wide open and rock steady and let the drone land on it. Attempting to catch it with your hand might result to the propellers slashing your fingers.
Exactly - as I wrote up in post #23 the drone will pause for 3 seconds before it commits to landing whether its the ground or your hand below the drone. This is from the Airdata logs for one of my flights showing the mode switches as just before the drone drops into my outstretched hand:

1672960261704-png.159127

The left stick is fully to the rear and stays there until the drone is in my hand and the props shut down.

If you move your hand to grab the drone it will try to avoid you - just wait and it will drop.

If this is still aiming to help Lomposlapos they are not interested in lowering their drone into their hand, see posts #2 & #3 of this thread. Their comments in the DJI forum thread are quite 'interesting'

Reactions: mobilehomer
  • Love
Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
However, Landing Protection can be toggled on/off via the Litchi app, or through the DroneHack app.
Convenient for earlier models that can work with Litchi.
Not much help for users of more recent models (like the OP) that can't run Litchi.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00