DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Great Law Enforcement Interaction

CC Rider

Reactions
On Sunday I was flying in nearby Lewes, Delaware, a popular historical summer resort that has the distinction of being "The First Town in the First State." Very parochial, very conservative, very stodgy, with a very wide line of demarcation between the old bloods who still run the Town and the influx of new people (cha ching!!) who have moved into the area and assumed their own place in the scheme of things

I was flying to capture footage of the large ferry boats that transport cars and people from Lewes to Cape May, NJ, some 75 minutes by ferry across the Delaware Bay. Being under the authority of the Delaware River Boat Authority (kind of the maritime version of the FAA in Delaware) I had previously checked to see if drone flying was permitted in the area and found a letter that allowed it. So off I went.

I obtained some excellent footage of two ferries coming and leaving the Port, finished my filming, packed up, and was about to leave the area I was flying from when a local Lewes Town police officer pulled up to talk to me. I was ready for whatever was about to come my way.

Folks, the gentleman could not have been nicer, more friendly, more informed or more fair. In fact, I wish I had written down his name so I could send his superiors a letter attesting to how well he conducted himself with me, accorded me respect the entire time, and never once established even a hint of an "Us and Them" dynamic. In short, that officer is VERY well suited for his particular job in dealing with the public and he treated me in an inclusive manner instead of approaching me as if I were an outsider doing something shady or suspect.

Basically, the officer said he stopped by just to make contact with me because I was engaged in some non-ordinary activities for the ferry Port (which did not bother me or offend me whatsoever. Why should it? He's just doing his job.). He immediately informed me that all was fine, that drone flying was permitted in the area, then he asked to see my FAA registration information, which is not only on my drones but is also always in my pocket when I fly in a cut-to-size format.

Once he saw that, we just spent some time talking, I answered some drone-related questions he had, specifics about my Mavic, and so on. He did advise me to not fly over the ferries as the DRBA stated such occurrences are a distraction for them during docking, which just makes common sense - and which I had inadvertently done while positioning my Mavic for a particular shot I was trying to get. The officer had seen that error on my part, and he did NOT make a big deal about it. Instead, he just suggested I avoid doing that again in the future. Period. We shook hands several times, I complimented him on his understanding about current drone laws and how well he handled me and conducted himself in an authoritative yet very reasonable manner that day and told him how, as a man, I appreciated his treatment of me, and left quite happy.

My point is that not every law enforcement agent out there is automatically anti-drone or anti-drone pilot, and so we as pilots should endeavor to be cooperative, professional, and up to par with clean hands whenever we have dealings with them. By having my FAA registration instantly available to him when he lawfully requested seeing it, I demonstrated my complete desire to cooperate with him and the Law and that I knew what my FAA obligations are - which instantly stopped a whole bunch of questions that COULD have been thrown my way. In short, this fine officer simply was NOT out to get me.

My Father was a Philadelphia City police officer for 8 years, from 1957-65. I remember him telling me that whenever he was on a street, it became HIS street, and that is the way I should treat and respect law enforcement every time I engaged with them, even for something as simple as a speeding ticket. Well, Dad was right. Out in public, law enforcement has the ultimate say during the moment you engage with them. If you think they mishandled a situation, then your only recourse is to take them to Court or file a complaint against them, or both. But during the moment on the streets, law enforcement rules. Therefore, I strongly suggest that all drone pilots always be mentally prepared while flying for a tap on their shoulder from law enforcement so they are prepared to be responsive, accurate, in line with all FAA regs, and be ready and willing to simply talk the situation out with them.

For me, it's the only way to fly.

I've had nothing but positive interactions so far (4 total). All polite, pleasant, and never refused to fly. Hopefully, that won't change :)

Reactions: CC Rider
Today I was threatened with arrest if I did not fly over my yard. That it is a FAA crime and the feds can come and get me. That came from my local police.

The police officer in the OP's post... very well informed.

The police office in Racenviper's post... needs to read the Constitution (again?).

Reactions: CC Rider
Good post, and I am hoping this is a hint of the future reaction nationwide!

"Metro Police Authority of Genesee County" and she got all of her vaild info from a retired prosecutor.

Nice to see the positive encounter for the OP. It sounds as if the officer is just "that kind of guy". He's a compliment to his city. I also think that it's nice to see that he was properly informed. With all of the changes unfolding, it's nice to see that someone sees it as important to keep up to date. Maybe it was the officer himself, or maybe it was his superiors that have their act together.

Nice to see!

On Sunday I was flying in nearby Lewes, Delaware, a popular historical summer resort that has the distinction of being "The First Town in the First State." Very parochial, very conservative, very stodgy, with a very wide line of demarcation between the old bloods who still run the Town and the influx of new people (cha ching!!) who have moved into the area and assumed their own place in the scheme of things

I was flying to capture footage of the large ferry boats that transport cars and people from Lewes to Cape May, NJ, some 75 minutes by ferry across the Delaware Bay. Being under the authority of the Delaware River Boat Authority (kind of the maritime version of the FAA in Delaware) I had previously checked to see if drone flying was permitted in the area and found a letter that allowed it. So off I went.

I obtained some excellent footage of two ferries coming and leaving the Port, finished my filming, packed up, and was about to leave the area I was flying from when a local Lewes Town police officer pulled up to talk to me. I was ready for whatever was about to come my way.

Folks, the gentleman could not have been nicer, more friendly, more informed or more fair. In fact, I wish I had written down his name so I could send his superiors a letter attesting to how well he conducted himself with me, accorded me respect the entire time, and never once established even a hint of an "Us and Them" dynamic. In short, that officer is VERY well suited for his particular job in dealing with the public and he treated me in an inclusive manner instead of approaching me as if I were an outsider doing something shady or suspect.

Basically, the officer said he stopped by just to make contact with me because I was engaged in some non-ordinary activities for the ferry Port (which did not bother me or offend me whatsoever. Why should it? He's just doing his job.). He immediately informed me that all was fine, that drone flying was permitted in the area, then he asked to see my FAA registration information, which is not only on my drones but is also always in my pocket when I fly in a cut-to-size format.

Once he saw that, we just spent some time talking, I answered some drone-related questions he had, specifics about my Mavic, and so on. He did advise me to not fly over the ferries as the DRBA stated such occurrences are a distraction for them during docking, which just makes common sense - and which I had inadvertently done while positioning my Mavic for a particular shot I was trying to get. The officer had seen that error on my part, and he did NOT make a big deal about it. Instead, he just suggested I avoid doing that again in the future. Period. We shook hands several times, I complimented him on his understanding about current drone laws and how well he handled me and conducted himself in an authoritative yet very reasonable manner that day and told him how, as a man, I appreciated his treatment of me, and left quite happy.

My point is that not every law enforcement agent out there is automatically anti-drone or anti-drone pilot, and so we as pilots should endeavor to be cooperative, professional, and up to par with clean hands whenever we have dealings with them. By having my FAA registration instantly available to him when he lawfully requested seeing it, I demonstrated my complete desire to cooperate with him and the Law and that I knew what my FAA obligations are - which instantly stopped a whole bunch of questions that COULD have been thrown my way. In short, this fine officer simply was NOT out to get me.

My Father was a Philadelphia City police officer for 8 years, from 1957-65. I remember him telling me that whenever he was on a street, it became HIS street, and that is the way I should treat and respect law enforcement every time I engaged with them, even for something as simple as a speeding ticket. Well, Dad was right. Out in public, law enforcement has the ultimate say during the moment you engage with them. If you think they mishandled a situation, then your only recourse is to take them to Court or file a complaint against them, or both. But during the moment on the streets, law enforcement rules. Therefore, I strongly suggest that all drone pilots always be mentally prepared while flying for a tap on their shoulder from law enforcement so they are prepared to be responsive, accurate, in line with all FAA regs, and be ready and willing to simply talk the situation out with them.

Will you be posting the video? Too bad Cape Henlopen State Park is such a hassle and cost money to get a permit to fly there!

Will you be posting the video? Too bad Cape Henlopen State Park is such a hassle and cost money to get a permit to fly there!

Yes, I am planning on posting the final Cape May-Lewes Ferry video here in the Mavic Photo and Video Section once I have the footage edited down. I got a lot of good stuff that day, including some excellent footage of the ferry complex and docking area themselves that look real nice. I flew my Mavic 4000' feet out to sea to meet an incoming ferry that departed Cape May, NJ bound for Lewes, DE. Flew in front of the ferry for a bit, then let it pass slowly under me as it neared Port, then I flew in behind it and documented the docking and debarking. Should make for some good video.

I also went into the downtown area of Lewes later that day and filmed the popular Canal area filled with yachts, boats, etc.,and then flew over the business section, all of which I plan on turning into a video travelogue and posting on YouTube by adding some tidbits of history and local flavor via a voice over so people can better appreciate what they're seeing. I LOVE seeing other people's drone footage, especially their territories, but I often wish I knew more about what I am watching. A few moments of a VO, captions, anything to punch it up isn't too hard to do and adds a lot to the experience, in my opinion.

And yes, flying Cape Henlopen should be a no-brainer and begs to be seen via drones. But State Parks are the only places in Delaware where drones are not permitted, which is a shame. Flying over the Cape's dunes would be an absolute blast! Lots of natural beauty and real estate to be captured within those protected State lands, bird and wildlife areas, and fisheries, too. Ah, well. At least the rest is open for flying.

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing it and then heading that way for some flights. I actually emailed the State Parks department for DE and the person I emailed back and forth with said it was $75 dollars to apply for a permit (each time you want to fly!) and was subject to approval. I replied thanks but no thanks and I would stick with the state of MD where all state parks allow drones to be flown for free!!! He never replied back.... LOL

I have found Cyber Drone Police to be more annoying than regular cops.

So... did you two make out at the end?

Just messing around, thats pretty cool. Almost all my encounters(3 of them) were kind of bitter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian