DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greece drone laws

Great. I will definitely take on your advices and as always fly safe.

Reactions: MacPap
nice shots. I am wondering did you had any signal issues when making these shots in the heart of Athens?
well.. I was "high" but believe it or not just behind the Parthenon I've lost rc connection.. I was frozen.. but luckily all worked well cause Mavic got back home rth :) I never knew was was the problem.. but I had to disconnect cable and reload Dji go app in order to gain control on Mavic!

I was in Athens.. took all precautions and tried to be away from people.. I loved it:

Nice! I didn't actually fly IN Athens, just outside the city and on some of the islands. That said, I got the drone the evening before I left...flew it once in the dark in my front yard then went to Athens. If I were there today I'd totally fly it in Athens...I just didn't have the confidence to do it then as it was so new.

Not as if anyone in Greece would listen. I reckon flights around the 1-3pm mark during their siestas would be best as all the babies would be asleep and away while you can go out and grab your footage without bothering anyone.

Does anyone know of any restrictions in Kos, Greece? I'm trying to understand the map provided from the government. I'm planning on staying in the south west of the island and I obviously don't want to get in trouble, especially in a foreign country that has arrested people for taking photos (albeit these people were foolishly recording military bases).

I understand that Greece has its own system of applying for flight permission on a flight by flight basis, but how is that supposed to work for
a) people randomly wanting to capturing something on the fly or unplanned
b) People who aren't Greek (i.e. tourists) and don't have social security numbers for filling out these requests?

full

Does anyone know of any restrictions in Kos, Greece? I'm trying to understand the map provided from the government. I'm planning on staying in the south west of the island and I obviously don't want to get in trouble, especially in a foreign country that has arrested people for taking photos (albeit these people were foolishly recording military bases).

I understand that Greece has its own system of applying for flight permission on a flight by flight basis, but how is that supposed to work for
a) people randomly wanting to capturing something on the fly or unplanned
b) People who aren't Greek (i.e. tourists) and don't have social security numbers for filling out these requests?

full
my friend the best is to follow rules but in countries like Italy and Greece thank God there is also something called "good sense" that means don't show off, don't bother people(privacy), keep yourself away from too many eyes and be HIGH enough so that none will hear or see the mavic! 70 meters in a city or where there are cars you'll never hear a beep and also you can see your mavic but do you really think someone is gonna look up in the sky looking for drones? lol :) still fly safe.. take your drone Rhodes is an amazing island!

Reactions: peros550
What does "acitve / future permitted fragments" mean on the Drone Aware page?

Greece is quite tolerant with drones but there are a few things to know:

Before anything, it will differentiate your drone based on its weight:
CAT0 = for drones weighting less than 1 kg
CAT1 = for drones weighting between 1 & 4 kg
CAT2 = for drones weighting between 4 & 25 kg

But also will identify what is your flight's purpose:
Open Flight = flights with drones weighting less than 25 kg staying in visual contact & away from people & crowds.
Specific Flight = drone flight likely to pose significant risks on people.
Certified Flight = drone flight that need the same requirement as for a manned flight, you will need permit, license & airworthiness certificates for these.

It also has several restriction zones that you can identify thanks to this map
greece-drone-laws

From then, you can fly:
- up to 122 m and no further than 500 m from you
- during daytime only and away from any urban area or public infrastructure
- 8kms away from airports
- a few more minor conditions have been listed here.

If your drone weights more than 4kgs: you will need an insurance and a greek translated license
If you wish to fly outside the above conditions you will have to apply for a permission.

Hope this helps.

Everything will go well untill...

Someone for whatever reason has a fit, maybe even not related to you flying a drone but, you're aperfect target. Beside that, contrary to most Greek people nowadays, as a tourist you are considered to have money. Lots of money, and what will be more tempting for a state that needs exactly that?
Right, you'll pay.

So, before you take of, sit down and think about what you are going to do, what the consequences may be if you do something illegal and if you then want and can live with the consequences. If you say "Yes", that's fine, just don't complain afterwards about those stupid Greeks that took your moeny "for just flying..."

I've emailed the Hellenic CAA before, and basically, they were polite but stern. There's an 8km airport ring fence (which is ridiculous).

HCAA%20Consumer%20Drone%20Leaflet%20-%20EN.jpg

I took mine 4 weeks ago without issue, but be aware the DJI warning zones are different to Greek HCAA rules. Real shame - but they are behind the times really.

I've emailed the Hellenic CAA before, and basically, they were polite but stern. There's an 8km airport ring fence (which is ridiculous).

HCAA%20Consumer%20Drone%20Leaflet%20-%20EN.jpg

I took mine 4 weeks ago without issue, but be aware the DJI warning zones are different to Greek HCAA rules. Real shame - but they are behind the times really.
The EASA wide laws come in next year. That should simplify things somewhat.

8km from an airport is fairly big and rules out most islands. Philippines is 10km!

Reactions: GiT Airways
The EASA wide laws come in next year. That should simplify things somewhat.

8km from an airport is fairly big and rules out most islands. Philippines is 10km!

I think it's "idiot proofing" the area near the airport, which is in itself, a joke as idiots will ignore the rules! More drone user bashing, sadly.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka