DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Greece drone laws

Pete69

Reactions
I'm going in vacation to rhodos and planning to take my MP with me. Anyone knowing if I'll be allowed to fly. I did some research but I can't find some proper answers. I also wrote to the Greek aviation authority 3 weeks ago but no luck there either.

Long story short... Officially you have to apply for every fly you do and wait for approval.

here Drone Aware - GR

But and that is a big but. There are all the Natura 2000 regions you are not allowed to fly in. Plus you have to pay a tax (don't ask me how you'll do it as a visitor) for the period you ll be flying in the region.

I am from Greece guys, you don't need anything just have an insurance if you damage something.
Happy flying.

Reactions: Macc22nj
I just got back from Greece and flew all over. Plus, they have no law enforcement. LOL. I saw 2 or 3 cops in the two weeks I was there.

Reactions: Mikewilltakeyouto
I am from Greece guys, you don't need anything just have an insurance if you damage something.
Happy flying.
This is not correct. I am afraid that is not what the law on drones sais.

Last edited:
I just got back from Greece and flew all over. Plus, they have no law enforcement. LOL. I saw 2 or 3 cops in the two weeks I was there.
I am afraid that is not correct. Don't advise people to do things they may regret...

MacPap you may be right. Better, you're right.
The truth, however, is in what Dmspampis and Domodan said.
This is because we live in "banana republics" (There are laws. But ...)

Essentially: In Italy, as well in Greece, everything is possible.
Remember that Berlusconi was prime minister for several years.

I think this is a good example of "how things are made possible in Italy"

MacPap you may be right. Better, you're right.
The truth, however, is in what Dmspampis and Domodan said.
This is because we live in "banana republics" (There are laws. But ...)

Essentially: In Italy, as well in Greece, everything is possible.
Remember that Berlusconi was prime minister for several years.

I think this is a good example of "how things are made possible in Italy"
I may agree with you but it is a different thing to say to someone of the record and while having a beer "do as you like no one is going to be interested" and it is a completely different thing to suggest to someone that nothing is going to happen in a forum in written.
People are getting crazy with all this drone hysteria and if someone calls the police they will have to come and then one needs to be legal. Let alone if an accident happens. So we have to be careful as to what we advise people should or should not do.

Great. Thanks guys. I guess i'll have to fill the application form before each flight.

Reactions: MacPap
I am also from Greece. Yes there are laws in place, but unfortunately they are not enforced.

Stay away from flying over crowds/cities/airports and you should be fine. The law does not allow to fly over:
military bases, hospitals, archaeological sites, prisons, airports and some other points.

In general, try flying under 120m which is the maximum allowed altitude (if I can recall correctly) but try to fly high enough so that no one will be disturbed (let's say more than 50-60 meters). Fly responsibly and nobody will bother. I think you are obliged to keep VLOS.

I try to avoid taking off in front of people, I just don't like to have people or children around me asking things when I try to focus on my flight. We have some very good places for you to capture. Happy Vacations!

I am also from Greece. Yes there are laws in place, but unfortunately they are not enforced.

Stay away from flying over crowds/cities/airports and you should be fine. The law does not allow to fly over:
military bases, hospitals, archaeological sites, prisons, airports and some other points.

In general, try flying under 120m which is the maximum allowed altitude (if I can recall correctly) but try to fly high enough so that no one will be disturbed (let's say more than 50-60 meters). Fly responsibly and nobody will bother. I think you are obliged to keep VLOS.

I try to avoid taking off in front of people, I just don't like to have people or children around me asking things when I try to focus on my flight. We have some very good places for you to capture. Happy Vacations!

Thanks for your reply. Very useful to know. So in your opinion I'll we not need to register my flights?

I don't how somebody from abroad could register his flight with Greek Civil Aviation Authority.
In order to login to their portal , they ask for your login details from local tax authority. For simplicity reasons, they have interconnected their systems and used same login details!!

Thanks - this sounds reasonable. I'm going in October and am looking forward to shooting with Mavic and/or Spark.

Spark is a nice little drone. Maybe it would not even need to register for it, if you would use it with gestures over wifi etc...

FWIW, I posted a few videos here of shots I took in Greece. I flew out over Poseidons Temple. Nobody cared, including the people that worked there.

What you say there reflects more or less exactly what is going on.Including your advice.

Reactions: peros550
I recently took my Mavic to Rhodes. Before I went I found this Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority - News
I printed it and took it with me along with my insurance documents. Oddly I never came across the drone aware document that MacPap has linked. I managed to get a couple of flights in without anyone being in the least interested let alone bothered.

I recently took my Mavic to Rhodes. Before I went I found this Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority - News
I printed it and took it with me along with my insurance documents. Oddly I never came across the drone aware document that MacPap has linked. I managed to get a couple of flights in without anyone being in the least interested let alone bothered.

This is the truth. No one is gonna care about that maybe some old people are going to ask you "what is that strange think" maybe the policemen too (but I don't think so).
You have only to be careful and nothing more.....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan