DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 - vacationing in Canada

copernicus

Reactions
I'll be vacationing in BC from the UK in a few weeks and was considering taking my new(ish) mini 2 with me. However, I did read some while ago the recommendation to "leave your drone at home". From what I can see the rules in Canada for a microdrone are similar to those in the UK, so as long as I avoid no-fly zones and National Parks there really shouldn't be a problem. And I don't need a registration for a drone this small. Is there anything I'm missing?

I'll be visiting pretty out-of-the-way places (isn't that most of Canada?) - big loop from Vancouver to Bella Coola, then to Vancouver Island by ferry. Probably fifth or sixth time to BC, lots of DSLR photos but drone footage adds a whole new dimension. Love it. Can't wait.

Reactions: YVRGUY
You are correct in your thinking, given the Mini 2 is under 249 grams.
BC is lovely...enjoy!

Just come back from 2 weeks+ in BC. Because it was out first time, we targeted most toristic places.
so we spent lots of time in national parks in east BC and Alberta : I did not use my Mini 2.
Also spent 3 days in Vancouver island, but a bit too windy.
Bottom line.. my Mini2 stayed folded..... A 1st time that I go in holidays and come back with no drone footage.
NB : There was also always lot of people around.... and as I heard people can call a special number to complain (do not know if it is really true for drone, but did see the sign for car infractions)

What a shame you didn't get the Mini 2 up in the air! Our rules are quite accommodating compared to the UK (I did the UK CAA exam this year and have a Flyer ID, so I'm familiar with both Canadian and UK rules).

Your sub-250g drone is classes as a "microdrone" and is not subject to most of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, such as having to fly 30m or more from bystanders, stay under 120m AGL, stay out of controlled airspace, etc. Following those rules anyway will help avoid breaking the "major" rule which does apply to microdrones: not flying recklessly or dangerously.

As a foreign operator/pilot of a drone under 250g you don't even need the special flight operations certificate that foreign operators of 250g - 25kg drones would require.

And we have no mandatory insurance requirement either.

That leaves you dealing with provincial and municipal rules, and many communities do have by-laws prohibiting drone use from city property, but private parking lots (your hotel for example) or quiet public streets are generally fine.

But I get it, I stayed near Heathrow my last trip to the UK, and probably could have found somewhere to fly from outside of their airspace with my Air 2S, but didn't have a lot of time to plan and was with demanding family members anyway, plus the nerves kicked in and ultimately didn't chance flight from anywhere at all.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
is not subject to most of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, such as ... stay under 120m AGL, stay out of controlled airspace, etc.
Can you clarify? Are you saying that a microdrone is NOT subject to the 120m height limit or controlled airspace restrictions? I thought these applies to all drones.

Also, I understand that flying within a National Park is not allowed - does this rule also apply to Provincial and State Parks?

Last edited:
We were in Vancouver three weeks ago and one evening we were watching a guy flying what I am sure was a sub 250 gm drone (not sure what model). After a short while he was approached a police officer and told to pack the thing away or face it being impounded. At no time was the drone being flown over people or getting in the way of the multitude of seaplanes which operate around the tourist sea front.
The guy obviously not wanting confrontation brought the drone down and packed it away.
Flying Shroppie

We were in Vancouver three weeks ago and one evening we were watching a guy flying what I am sure was a sub 250 gm drone (not sure what model). After a short while he was approached a police officer and told to pack the thing away or face it being impounded. At no time was the drone being flown over people or getting in the way of the multitude of seaplanes which operate around the tourist sea front.
The guy obviously not wanting confrontation brought the drone down and packed it away.
Flying Shroppie
Depending on where he was flying near the seaplanes, the airspace is controlled. There is also a helipad nearby within that controlled airspace.

Last edited:
Can you clarify? Are you saying that a microdrone is NOT subject to the 120m height limit or controlled airspace restrictions? I thought these applies to all drones.

Also, I understand that flying within a National Park is not allowed - does this rule also apply to Provincial and State Parks?

Depending on where he was flying near the seaplanes, the airspace is controlled. There is also a helipad nearby within that controlled airspace.
If the drone is under 250g, they can fly in controlled airspace - again, not in a manner that interferes with or poses a danger to aircraft.

If the drone is under 250g, they can fly in controlled airspace - again, not in a manner that interferes with or poses a danger to aircraft.
True, but there is an airport in the harbour that many are not aware of...
start at around the 5 min mark.

Attachments

• Vancouver airspace.png
    Vancouver airspace.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
How about in Restricted airspace?

I see some restricted (CYR) airspace, no airport close by, just farmland, a few scattered residences and businesses...are sub-250 gram "microdrones" OK there? Airspace designation says "Class F, Surface to 1100 feet"...

How about in Restricted airspace?

I see some restricted (CYR) airspace, no airport close by, just farmland, a few scattered residences and businesses...are sub-250 gram "microdrones" OK there? Airspace designation says "Class F, Surface to 1100 feet"...
A micro drone cannot fly in Restricted Class F (CYR) airspace.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
@Dronecation: Thank you! Don's summary of the rules, supported by the official summary (or the other way around if you prefer) is just what I needed.
And to answer my question, while you can't fly within a National Park, Don says that for most Provincial Parks you can't take off or land, which amounts to the same thing. But State Parks? I still don't know but I'd assume they are the same.

@Dronecation: Thank you! Don's summary of the rules, supported by the official summary (or the other way around if you prefer) is just what I needed.
And to answer my question, while you can't fly within a National Park, Don says that for most Provincial Parks you can't take off or land, which amounts to the same thing. But State Parks? I still don't know but I'd assume they are the same.
They are the same, along with city parks. You can fly through them providing you take off/land outside of the parks land.

Well, technically they could with permission of the Class F airspace operator.
CYR – This airspace denotes special-use restricted areas off limits to anyone without approval by the user agency. It is restricted airspace.
Then there is CYA airspace - Advisory airspace. This airspace is typically reserved for special use, including flight training, helicopter operations, hang gliding areas, etc.

From what I can see the rules in Canada for a microdrone are similar to those in the UK, so as long as I avoid no-fly zones and National Parks there really shouldn't be a problem.
Provincial parks in BC are also no-drone zones. Metro Vancouver parks too.

Use the NRC site selection tool to get a better idea of restrictions, but note that not all restrictions show up there (municipal ones are missing, for example):

Also steer clear of fire zones. Some idiots have been hampering fire fighting efforts by flying in the wrong place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_