DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Grey Mare's Tail, Moffat - flown with NTS permission - October 2024

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
A long day out on Tuesday to film a spectacular waterfall - one that needed some planning and liaison with NTS to get permission to fly from their land.

Grey Mare's Tail is a 60m waterfall in the Scottish Borders, about 3 hrs drive from home. We applied for permission to fly about a month ago via email - use the link on the website.

The lady responsible for arranging things came back within 24 hrs asking a few questions - was it a commercial flight, did we have Op ID and Public Liability Insurance - they need £2M cover - what drones and how many were in the air at any time, and what day and time were we wanting to book.

I responded with all the info, apart from the preferred date as I needed to see what the weather would be like, so we were approved, and a specific date would be agreed on the Thursday the week before. We were put in touch with the local Ranger and their Manager, who were very happy to accommodate us.

By Thursday the weather forecast was looking ok for Tuesday, but not perfect, so we set that day for our flight, and were then informed that the Moffatt road was shut between 9am and 4pm, so an earlier start than planned was required...

We left home at 530am, and arrived at the Falls at 830am, to be greeted by one of the rangers, who was happy to see us and looking forward to seeing what we could capture. It was dry, with some clouds, cold and fairly windy, so we wrapped up and set ourselves up for the flight...

Air 3 had 2 flights, the first and last of the location, and the AVATA1 flew 2 batteries, to get in closer and personal...

It is an interesting site, and one I hope we have done justice...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I just watched it again. I've a 65" OLED LG TV and I'm just glad that I do to watch your video clips of Scottish locations. Asking and receiving permission turned out brilliantly for you. I bet the rangers and others would have been impressed. Great work.

• Love
Reactions: AlbionDrones
I just watched it again. I've a 65" OLED LG TV and I'm just glad that I do to watch your video clips of Scottish locations. Asking and receiving permission turned out brilliantly for you. I bet the rangers and others would have been impressed. Great work.
Thanks, we have the 55" LG 4H HDR OLED TV, it is an amazing bit of kit...

Yeah, very nice shots from a breathtaking location, the waterfall seems never ending.
Great job you have done also the preparations really exemplary.
One thing I missed… the sound from the water would help to get more immersion.

Ciao Rob

Yeah, very nice shots from a breathtaking location, the waterfall seems never ending.
Great job you have done also the preparations really exemplary.
One thing I missed… the sound from the water would help to get more immersion.

Ciao Rob
Thanks Rob... hmm, I thought about adding the water sounds, but didn't want it to overwhelm the music... Its a difficult choice, sometimes it enhances, sometimes it can be too much...

Reactions: Jatekman
A long day out on Tuesday to film a spectacular waterfall - one that needed some planning and liaison with NTS to get permission to fly from their land.

Grey Mare's Tail is a 60m waterfall in the Scottish Borders, about 3 hrs drive from home. We applied for permission to fly about a month ago via email - use the link on the website.

The lady responsible for arranging things came back within 24 hrs asking a few questions - was it a commercial flight, did we have Op ID and Public Liability Insurance - they need £2M cover - what drones and how many were in the air at any time, and what day and time were we wanting to book.

I responded with all the info, apart from the preferred date as I needed to see what the weather would be like, so we were approved, and a specific date would be agreed on the Thursday the week before. We were put in touch with the local Ranger and their Manager, who were very happy to accommodate us.

By Thursday the weather forecast was looking ok for Tuesday, but not perfect, so we set that day for our flight, and were then informed that the Moffatt road was shut between 9am and 4pm, so an earlier start than planned was required...

We left home at 530am, and arrived at the Falls at 830am, to be greeted by one of the rangers, who was happy to see us and looking forward to seeing what we could capture. It was dry, with some clouds, cold and fairly windy, so we wrapped up and set ourselves up for the flight...

Air 3 had 2 flights, the first and last of the location, and the AVATA1 flew 2 batteries, to get in closer and personal...

My Dear, you have done it justice. What a great video. Thanks.

• Love
Absolutely stunning! I see from the title this is from an Air 3 did you color grade or is this straight out of the camera? Thank you so much for sharing the stunning landscape of your part of the world.

Last edited:
  • Love
It's an amazing video! It is very well-flown and put together. Another favorite for me.

My Dear, you have done it justice. What a great video. Thanks.
Thank you kindly... Appreciate the kind words :)

Love the way you caught the moon at the top of the falls with the Avata.
Yup, I saw it there when we arrived, and it was right where it would show well...

Absolutely stunning! I see from the title this is from an Air 3 did you color grade or is this straight out of the camera? Thank you so much for sharing the stunning landscape of your part of the world.
Thank you, for watching and for making such a nice comment. TBH this was both AIR3 and AVATA1, both recording in auto mode at 4k 60fps and set to -0.3 on the exposure - the AIR3 had an ND4/CPL filter...
I tend to balance the exposure and colours between the drones using DaVinci Resolve, and do a little colour grading to bring out the colours at different levels - usually no more than 2 to 6 increase on saturation in Dark and Shadow and 1 or 2 in the Light / Highlight range...

It's an amazing video! It is very well-flown and put together. Another favorite for me.
Thank you, it means a lot to know they are appreciated...

Just beautiful

• Love
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wforakerjr