DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grief over cost of Drones

Luckily my wife supports me about my drone, and has talked about getting her own. Of course I had it before we got married a couple of years ago. ;)

welcome to the club ,you should know by now that you are not allowed to spend your hard earned cash on a hobby that she has no interest in

Does your significant other give you grief over the cost of this hobby? I don't know what is wrong with my wife but she thinks my hobbies are a waste of money. She cannot believe what mavics cost.
Actually it can be cheaper than other RC hobbies. Tell her you want to get into RC turbine aircraft. Many cost between 10-20K:
DSC04128p.jpg

Does your significant other give you grief over the cost of this hobby? I don't know what is wrong with my wife but she thinks my hobbies are a waste of money. She cannot believe what mavics cost.
Lots of hobbys are expensive and when you get really into it it gets costly.
Golf is one for example. Played by a wide variety of people and equiptment, like drones range from 100s to thousands of dollars not to mention the fee everytime you go out.
Fishing is also expensive, tackle and the boat and rods and gas and all that also add up.

Theres are very common examples of hobbys and i think you can definetly drone for a cheaper value the higher end drones are more appealling to get the most out of your hobby.

My wife actually gave me my Mini last Christmas. She thought it would be a lower cost alternative to my other hobbies (spending $300+ on a little piece of live coral or flying to far off lands to scuba dive).

She didn’t start complaining until the Mini’s bigger siblings start to appear. ?

Last edited:
Actually it can be cheaper than other RC hobbies...
View attachment 104042
I would drop all my other hobbies if I could have a Blue Angels model aircraft that would just float in the air if I let go of the sticks. Well, I kind of have one...

849DDE8A-BC30-481C-BD46-98970E6F5ADF.jpeg

Lots of hobbys are expensive and when you get really into it it gets costly.

That's exactly what i was thinking although the advantage of drones is they don't take up a lot of space and they're not easy to tell apart if you're not familiar with them. Same with cameras and lenses many of which look very similar.

Bicycles on the other hand...much more tricky to hide.

My wife bought the MM for me because I hemmed and hawwed too long over spending the money on it. Then after I bought the MA2 but before I opened it she tried to talk me into returning it to buy a more expensive one. I chose not too for now because I have a lot to learn and the MM and MA2 should last me a long time.

My camera Cost $2500 and I have another $5000 in lenses. My fly rod cost $500 and peripherals another $500. My BMW motorcycle cost $20K, gas, insurance and maintenance another $200 a month. I gave up astronomy that I was into for $4000. Mavic Mini $400 period! But I do take the camera, fly rod and Mini on the bike ;)

I would drop all my other hobbies if I could have a Blue Angels model aircraft that would just float in the air if I let go of the sticks. Well, I kind of have one...

View attachment 104054
Nice job on the color scheme. Yeah losing a big plane like that sucks. I was photographing a different buddies plane when he ditched a similar jet. All he said was "my wife's gonna XXXXXXX kill me".

Come to think of it, we used to play Snooker and use a leather case (nice) that holds 5 sticks at a cost of $2,500, not alot but young kid was eyeing it when we was at the pool hall one night like he was going to grab and run. I kept him at arms lenght, alot of money to lose all at once. Kind of what worries me about a Drones, cost vs experience.

$2000 drone + $5000 iMac Pro for video post processing for me...

$7000 digital embroidery sewing machine for her...

It’s all about balance. At our age, we deserve it.

I'm not married, but my girlfriend thinks that my drone is cool.

Reactions: E90RAW
If you ever had been involved in racing (motorcycle, cars, or boats) you never say drones are expensive ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147