DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grief over cost of Drones

She was as happy as she was when I bought the 978 Harley, followed by the 1998 Geezer Glide. She encourages me to fly with both feet planted. Getting to old to take a tumble, and I think death by drones are less than crumpled bodies and metal. She allowed [?] me to buy my camera and lens right at $7,200.00. Along with my drone DIRECT from China, and the cool little add parts. Harley's are for sale.

Old saying. You get what you pay for.
Imagine if you bought a $50 Drone from K-Mart and you got 1 flight out of it.
Then the abuse would have been greater.
You have to learn, with them, you are fighting an uphill battle.
Tell her she needs a new dress and she'll forget about the drone.

My wife actually gave me my Mini last Christmas. She thought it would be a lower cost alternative to my other hobbies (spending $300+ on a little piece of live coral or flying to far off lands to scuba dive).

She didn’t start complaining until the Mini’s bigger siblings started to appear. ?
I also enjoy both scuba diving and my home reefs, although my wife started both with me. Having a tank wipeout can be extremely expensive, especially when it happens while you are on a dive vacation (and the person watching the aquariums didn't want to bother your vacation when the tanks started crashing...).

Reactions: pelagic_one
Having a tank wipeout can be extremely expensive, especially when it happens while you are on a dive vacation (and the person watching the aquariums didn't want to bother your vacation when the tanks started crashing...).
I manage our tanks BVLOS with Neptune Apex + Trident, and our LFS has key-access for emergencies. It’s kinda like sending my MP out on a round-the-corner Litchi mission. No crashes on either yet, thankfully, but I’m trusting the software so far.

Everything I spend for my hobbies cost me two times what it cost everyone else. For every dollar I spend my wife spends the same amount on something she wants. It’s usually jewelry. I have to factor in the 2X before I decide to buy a new “toy”. Keeps me in check.
And you think you are alone in that?

I'm a long range shooter so drones seem like a free ride in comparison. But I would guess that the Gent with the Large Scale R/C Jet has most of us beat!

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I'm a long range shooter so drones seem like a free ride in comparison. But I would guess that the Gent with the Large Scale R/C Jet has most of us beat!

I'm into shooting, motorbikes, and river boating, so a drone seems cheap in comparison. The girlfriend has ordered herself an Air 2, so she can join me drone flying.

Never realized how "cheap" my other hobbies were until I got into photography. $2500 body here, $3000 lens there.. oops need a wide angle too, another $2000. Studio lights? Sure why not. Hmm, maybe play with video, need continuous lights, and lav mics also. Hmm, need a studio to do all this stuff in. ****, can't edit all this 4k video on my old PC, and definitely need dual 4k monitors. When I got my drone my wife was thrilled I had taken up a "cheap" hobby again.

Does your significant other give you grief over the cost of this hobby? I don't know what is wrong with my wife but she thinks my hobbies are a waste of money. She cannot believe what mavics cost.
Buy her some flowers and a box of chocolates. BTW, when is the last time you took her out for a nice dinner? (Well maybe that’s hard to do these days). My point is if you do nice things for a woman it pays itself back X10 in life.id be surprised if she gives you grief if you show you appreciate her once in a while.

Does your significant other give you grief over the cost of this hobby? I don't know what is wrong with my wife but she thinks my hobbies are a waste of money. She cannot believe what mavics cost.
Guitars and Amplifiers gets very expensive quick in a Metal Band. Get ur spouse
involved and addicted. Nothing wrong if ur saving the same things

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider

My ex said the same about the cost of hunting rifles, and wanted to know why I needed more than one. And she said my 57 Chevy was just an old car, and 20 minutes into our first fishing trip, she breaks out a book. You should read her this reply, it might shut her up.

My ex said the same about the cost of hunting rifles, and wanted to know why I needed more than one. And she said my 57 Chevy was just an old car, and 20 minutes into our first fishing trip, she breaks out a book. You should read her this reply, it might shut her up.

Did you two not date a few years, take drives in the old car, go hunting and fishing together, see if you are compatible, then get married?
Or did you go for a quick dinner on date one, and elope to Vegas?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmo4