DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grief over cost of Drones

Drones are expensive, and they can fall out of the sky....stringent regulations and negative comments in the media don’t help. A good dose of masochism is needed too.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Does your significant other give you grief over the cost of this hobby? I don't know what is wrong with my wife but she thinks my hobbies are a waste of money. She cannot believe what mavics cost.
been married 65 years, went on our honeymoon to Canada on a fishing trip, guys your married to to wrong women

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
been married 65 years, went on our honeymoon to Canada on a fishing trip, guys your married to to wrong women

I tend to agree.
Some people rush into marriage, not really knowing each other.
I have a life rule, three years dating minimum, before the wedding.

Reactions: 23tony
There are a lot of things some women buy, that would seem to be a waste of money to guys. Eg. Jewelry, lots of handbags and shoes.
Shopping is also a waste of time. I’d rather be out flying.

I was going to say this. Add up the jewelry, shoes, handbags, and especially clothes that have been worn one time. It will most likely make a fleet of UAVs look cheap.

My GF probably has 75+ pair of shoes and an easy $100K in jewelry, I don't give her **** about that and I get none for my toys. UAVs, race cars, motorcycles and cameras. Whatever our system is for the tolerance on spending by either must be working, we've been together 20+ years and still like/love each other.

If there is constant friction over any of this, perhaps there are other issues that bear investigating?

I've been reading this thread trying to think of ANY hobby that doesn't end up getting really expensive. I can't think of any. SCUBA, shooting sports, motorcycles or cars, music, video/filmmaking, gardening, any of those you could easily drop $thousands into. Even scrapbooking can get expensive.

Does your significant other give you grief over the cost of this hobby? I don't know what is wrong with my wife but she thinks my hobbies are a waste of money. She cannot believe what mavics cost.
It was actually opposite for me. My wife wanted a drone for photography and i somewhat resisted before giving in. She did not really have an interest in flying (just wants the pictures) so left the drone learning curve up to me. I am glad i bought it because its actually enjoyable. Unlike my scuba and boating hobbby requiring $$ to maintain and run, this thing is great. No real service and basic inspections. Yes, the batteries seem expensive to replace but nothing like mainting a boat and scuba gear. Wish i had time to fly it more often.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I love drones - always have. My first drone was given to me as a gift, and I crashed that one (wasn't an expensive one thankfully).

I then purchased a Holystone drone at around £150 and thought that was a steep price - after around 150 flights, I decided this drone is actually awful.

I decided to look at DJI - I was already aware that they are the leading brand in the industry, but the prices made my jaw drop.

The Mavic Mini fly more combo went on sale for about £400 and I decided to take the plunge and buy it - well what an experience and game changer that drone was.

Put it this way, I've got an Air 2 (£950) arriving tomorrow. Once someone sees what a quality drone is capable of, and the multi purpose use a drone can have, they would understand.

Also when flying my Mini, its managed to convince 3 people to buy one, just from demoing it to them for about 5 minutes at most.

Tell her she's starting to sound like your ex-wife. when she says "I didn't know you were married before," Just say, "I wasn't....."

1592114379929.png

Like a few posts above, a DSLR lens can cost more than my MA2.

No kidding. When my youngest sister got married her and her husband were working minimum wage jobs and couldn't afford a pro photographer so ask me to do the job. Checked with church, photography was allowed, but no flash. Ended up spending $1600 on a wide to medium f2.8 telephoto lens. I swore never to do another wedding after that.

I spent less than that for my Mavic Pro, batteries, etc.

Get your license, earn money with them and then they support your hobby.

• Love
Reactions: itsneedtokno

I reread your original post and a few other things sprang to mind. Bear in mind I freely admit I don't know you or your wife and this is merely observation from admittedly warped point of view.

First off hobbies are by definition a waste of money. If they were intended to make money then they would be called a job.
Does your wife have hobbies? How much money does she spend on them?
Are any of your family going without food, clothes, safe housing or transportation because of the funding spent on hobbies? It's of course not an all inclusive list, but you get the point.

As I did mention in the previous post, are there other factors or issues at play here that we are not aware of that might need examination?

i was in charge of the air show at el toro, and you guys was there....usmc
Well that's not my jet...a little too expensive for me at this time. A few days ago we had a rash of crashes. I don't want to lose my Mavic and wouldn't be happy if I crashed it. At least I don't have anybody to complain about it but myself. But hobbies are expensive, plus things can and do go wrong. I've used my Mavic to search for planes that have gone down and it's surprising how hard it is to find them at times. A good friend lost this the other day.... costed him 15+K. It was easy to find but nothing was left.

Tudor Sharham.jpg

Tudor 1.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_