DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Grief over cost of Drones

Well that's not my jet...a little too expensive for me at this time. A few days ago we had a rash of crashes. I don't want to lose my Mavic and wouldn't be happy if I crashed it. At least I don't have anybody to complain about it but myself. But hobbies are expensive, plus things can and do go wrong. I've used my Mavic to search for planes that have gone down and it's surprising how hard it is to find them at times. A good friend lost this the other day.... costed him 15+K. It was easy to find but nothing was left.

View attachment 104969

View attachment 104971
I am also part of a DSAR group from Alabama....I do understand how hard it is to use a drone to search with and location people, things, etc.

Reactions: dronerdave
Like others here been married a long time 45 years and counting during this time my wife has supported me in all sorts of expensive hobbies. Photography (£ 10,000 +) over the years model building (£5,000 ish), had to buy a lathe and other tools, but that was her fault as I was goaded into it by her :rolleyes: . Astronomy (£50,000 and still rising). Now drones. Not actually flown it anywhere as yet due to our lockdown. just waiting for the BT35Es to arrive. The wife has her jewellery and other hobbies. But both of us still happy. Give and take is our motto for a good partnership. Oh! I forgot caravans, but that is another story.

Well that's not my jet...a little too expensive for me at this time. A few days ago we had a rash of crashes. I don't want to lose my Mavic and wouldn't be happy if I crashed it. At least I don't have anybody to complain about it but myself. But hobbies are expensive, plus things can and do go wrong. I've used my Mavic to search for planes that have gone down and it's surprising how hard it is to find them at times. A good friend lost this the other day.... costed him 15+K. It was easy to find but nothing was left.

View attachment 104969

View attachment 104971
How did he manage to crash it, out of curiosity.

• Wow
Reactions: Physopto
20 years ago a store selling fairly expensive recreational gear that was courting a customer new to skiing, diving, music, photography etc would reckon on $2000 being the sweet spot for an initial sales target. I don't know if that number is still the same. Gearheads you could upsell to fairly easily, of course. Obviously that target $ number is much higher if you're into driving race cars, flying planes, sailing etc

I just mention this to highlight the fact that manufacturers and stores do their homework on the potential market and maintain their product portfolios to meet the market, it's marketing 101

In my own case I was into skiing, diving, music and photography, not to mention big game fishing. I regard it as money well spent, memories and skills learned being priceless. I've never bothered to add it all up, believing you only live once.

Last edited:
Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
A tip stall during a fairly low level turn. Trying to get out of the stall he pushed the engine to full but never recovered and the jet plowed straight down into the ground. Oh and he's still married...I think :oops:

That sucks.
Glad the wife didn't throw him out though.

Got some great laughs out of this thread! Thank you all for that.

My wife loves my drone hobby and is amazed by the photos and videos. I’m also steadily building a small business out of it so I will have recovered what I spent on my M2P pretty soon.

As others mentioned, it’s about finding the right balance and supporting each other’s ideas, otherwise marriage would be no fun.

Fly safe!

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d