DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ground to bird height not accurate

Obviously not like those guys come on guy.....obviously your a new pilot or atleast to the mavic judging by join date.... I can see where your a little scared it's okay that will pass.....and i have gone for it ever since my p3p, p4p p4p mavic air spark, mavic pro mavic 2 zoom mavic 2 pro?
Don't let the baby picture fool you. In my opinion, encouraging people to "man-up" and hand catch is tantamount to encouraging someone to do dangerous things that are not necessary. Yes, many people do this and get away with it fine until they don't. But how many people will try to do this thanks to your encouragement and get injured seriously like the ones in the pictures or those who tried and almost died? How many young fools have almost lost an eye, nose, finger while practicing the manly art of hand catching this drone? Look at the pictures MM and ask those people how manly they feel now? There are old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old-bold pilots.

It seems to me that this forum that claims to be so interested in safety and following the regs would allow anyone to encourage the manly art of drone hand catching. I don't think DJI openly suggests anyone hand catch their drone. They may do so however through people who do videos and using psychological jabs like being a man and hand catching. There are people who can walk on the edge of a tall building ledge without falling but I don't suggest that either. There are those who juggle knives and eat fire but I don't suggest that either. So being a man has nothing to do with hand catching your drone any more than juggling knives.

dangerous things that are not necessary.

Except in many conditions where it is necessary and even more where its beneficial.

But how many people will try to do this thanks to your encouragement and get injured seriously like the ones in the pictures

Very few. Probably none. Got any figures to back that up?

or those who tried and almost died?

Almost died? Seriously?! Not being slightly over-dramatic there?
Also, the answer is none. Any figures to back that up?

How many young fools have almost lost an eye, nose, finger while practicing the manly art of hand catching this drone?

Most likely none. Got any figures to back that up?

Look at the pictures MM and ask those people how manly they feel now?

The very few people that have accidents hand catching after suffering a bruised ego and a slightly cut finger just man up and try it again and learn from it. And those people are very very few in numbers.
Looking at youtube more people get injured by accident on the things than hand catching.

There are old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old-bold pilots.

Firstly we're not talking pilots. We're talking people operating small, lightweight radio controlled toys with light weight spinning plastic thats incapable of doing serious damage.
Secondly, there are plenty of real world old, bold pilots. Without which the world would never have progressed.

It seems to me that this forum that claims to be so interested in safety and following the regs would allow anyone to encourage the manly art of drone hand catching.

Because hand catching, despite your clear terror and lack of understanding has not been shown to be unsafe at all and is essential in many areas to operate. There are also no "regulations" against it.

I don't think DJI openly suggests anyone hand catch their drone.

They also dont suggest you don't. They also dont suggest putting your face into a blender or balancing a kitchen sink on your head while flying. Thats a fairly pointless comment.

They may do so however through people who do videos and using psychological jabs like being a man and hand catching.

I know the internet is getting weaker and more snowflake like by the day but do you REALLY think someone is going to cry into their beer by being told to man up on the internet?!

There are people who can walk on the edge of a tall building ledge without falling but I don't suggest that either. There are those who juggle knives and eat fire but I don't suggest that either. So being a man has nothing to do with hand catching your drone any more than juggling knives.

You seem to think these are proven dangerous spinning blades of out of control death flying around. We're not trying to hand catch a jetranger here or juggle a combine harvester. We're grabbing a small, stable light weight bit of plastic that if it goes wrong might cut yourself. Its in the same risk category as holding/dropping a soldering iron.

You seem to have lost all sense of proportion here.

Edit:- Let's do this another way. How many people have crashed and lost or badly damaged their drone by taking off or landing in an area that was unsuitable when hand launch/catch would have been far less risky? There are plenty of youtube videos of people doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike4884 and Meta4
Yes, many people do this and get away with it fine until they don't. But how many people will try to do this thanks to your encouragement and get injured seriously like the ones in the pictures or those who tried and almost died?
Talk about exaggerating..
How many will try and get injured seriously? ..
Not many .. it would be a number close to zero.
like the ones in the pictures or those who tried and almost died?
You mean those compilations of injury pictures, mostly from carbon fibre propellers and many from non-drone RC planes? ...
How many were from hand catching small drones?
like the ones in the pictures or those who tried and almost died
How many tried hand catching and almost died ?
How many young fools have almost lost an eye, nose, finger while practicing the manly art of hand catching this drone?
Perhaps you can tell us, I'm not aware of any.
Look at the pictures MM and ask those people how manly they feel now?
Pictures of injuries from drone catching?
Can you find any? Or are you referring to the same old RC CF prop horror photos?
There are old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old-bold pilots.
We do dangerous things every day.
Using scissors, stairs, ladders, boiling water, driving on the highway, playing sport, etc.
These all kill many people each year but people continue to do them each day because there are responsible ways to do these things to reduce the risk to close to zero.
And the same goes for drone catching.

Reactions: Mike4884
I am going to retract one of my earlier statements about DJI not encouraging hand catching the M2. They do! It is on their forum and on this one. I realize that DJI has invested their advertising on selling this product as totally mobile and safe to hand catch. That's why you need to learn this skill in order to be totally mobile with your M2. I also understand that young men and some older ones as well, feel the need to encourage people to do things they consider to be a demonstration of manliness and belittle others who don't or won't do as they do. It is a form of egoism. I understand that many can hand catch their drones and more power to them. But encouraging others especially those who are new at the hobby to do that is irresponsible. Just ask these guys:HandCatch1.jpg
HandCatch2.jpg
HanCatch3.jpg
Now those are some manly scars! Don't you think?

Just ask these guys:
I'd like to ask them how they got those scars and how many were catching a Mavic.
Showing some prop injury photos is a bit dishonest when you have no way to tell they have anything to do with what you are implying they do.

All of those photos have been around since long before the Mavic was released.
Here's the details for one of those incidents ... from back in 2013.
Everytime i launch my X8 it's never any problems. That was until i mounted a bigger propeller. I went from 13x6 to 14x9.5 and my plane "suddenly" went out of my hand much faster than before!
The result is a painful hand and a lot of thinking :) Maybe some of you guys should think twice before you hand launch your new X8 or similar...

Fourteen inch CF propellers on an X8 (a big heavy drone) .. that doesn't really equate to catching a Mavic does it?

If you want to warn of the dangers of catching a Mavic, do your research and find out what the dangers actually are, what injuries have been recorded etc rather than using completely irrelevant scary images from large, old drones using large carbon fibre props.

Reactions: BigAl07
Turns out the FAA says its safer to be struck on the head by a drone than by a block of wood or concrete. I will retract all my safety concerns about hand catching the M2 when the FAA says its okay to do so. Here's What Happens When a Drone Falls On Your Head
It really seems to me that there is a concerted effort to squelch any perceived 'negative' comments about DJI drones or Amazon.com products that are supplementary products sold on Amazon.com on this forum by those I would refer to as 'the defenders'. Could it be there is some vested interest that outweighs safety concerns? You know like money? Just to be clear, I do consider hand catching the P3, P4 to be 'safer' than hand catching the M2. Also, I'm pretty sure that DJI doesn't concern itself with those kind of stats as it is not in their self-interest. For those bold and manly hand catchers, just turn off all the sensors and go for it. Those are only to prevent noobs from crashing their drones or slicing themselves or others to pieces. Who needs prop guards and proximity sensors?

Last edited:
I will retract all my safety concerns about hand catching the M2
If you want to campaign against hand catching, at least be honest about actual risks, real injury rates and images from confirmed Mavic incidents (if you can find any at all).

If you want to campaign against hand catching, at least be honest about actual risks, real injury rates and images from confirmed Mavic incidents (if you can find any at all).
You're campaigning for it aren't you? Who is more on the side of safety, you or me?

I am going to retract one of my earlier statements about DJI not encouraging hand catching the M2. They do! It is on their forum and on this one.

THIS is not a DJI owned, operated, supported forum. You need to get your FACTS straight my friend. . . .

That was not a Hand Catch in the normal way... That was a Music Singer on stage who reached up to grab an sUAS that was flying over him in Mexico in 2015. You can't cure stupid . . .

The above image was from an RC Airplane that was hand launched and has a rear mounted PUSHER prop. It's designed to be launched from a Catapult system but guy above thought he knew better... AND he had adder larger props to make matters worse (which is why the catapult system wouldn't work... DUH)

I've not seen that above pic before but I'm confident it's not from a Mavic series of sUAS. I'll research and report back here what I find if I find anything more . . . .

I think you might want to research what you're posting as FACT just a little bit more sir.

Reactions: dirkclod and Meta4
You're campaigning for it aren't you? Who is more on the side of safety, you or me?
The only thing I'm campaigning for is factual writing and truth in presenting a story.
Your images are irrelevant to what you are saying and you are pushing a non-factual story.
How I land my drone isn't part of the discussion and I'm not advocating any technique..

Reactions: BigAl07
THIS is not a DJI owned, operated, supported forum. You need to get your FACTS straight my friend. . . .

That was not a Hand Catch in the normal way... That was a Music Singer on stage who reached up to grab an sUAS that was flying over him in Mexico in 2015. You can't cure stupid . . .

The above image was from an RC Airplane that was hand launched and has a rear mounted PUSHER prop. It's designed to be launched from a Catapult system but guy above thought he knew better... AND he had adder larger props to make matters worse (which is why the catapult system wouldn't work... DUH)

I've not seen that above pic before but I'm confident it's not from a Mavic series of sUAS. I'll research and report back here what I find if I find anything more . . . .

I think you might want to research what you're posting as FACT just a little bit more sir.
I'll take your info on the pics as accurate and true. Now, would you or anyone on this forum deny that circumventing the sensors and their designed safety intentions to be 'manly' and hand catch those flying blades of potential finger cutting and bodily injuring capabilities be wise and 'manly'?

I'll take your info on the pics as accurate and true. Now, would you or anyone on this forum deny that circumventing the sensors and their designed safety intentions to be 'manly' and hand catch those flying blades of potential finger cutting and bodily injuring capabilities be wise and 'manly'?

I've not used the words MANLY so that's my only comment on that.

I hand catch 99% of the time and have for years now. I don't circumvent anything what so ever. My aircraft is still operating full sensors (it is a Mavic Platinum so YMMV) and I simply catch from a very specific angle. Ironically I have been "caught" by those blades more than a couple of times and other than hurting my ego I have no other injuries from those soft, flexible and pivoting blades.

For transparency I have also Hand Caught my Inspire (before I sold it) and do still hand catch my H520 with SIX (OMG 6??) spinning props.....

Hand Catching isn't for everyone and if you're not capable, comfortable, or you're uncertain then by ALL MEANS land the dang aircraft any way you want to. There's no need to create false scare tactics and show unrelated pictures to enhance your scare campaign.

The only thing I'm campaigning for is factual writing and truth in presenting a story.
Your images are irrelevant to what you are saying and you are pushing a non-factual story.
How I land my drone isn't part of the discussion and I'm not advocating any technique..
They are not irrelevant to the danger you suggest exposing others to. You are advocating hand catching as safe and a skill to be learned by droners? The pictures certainly express potential injury that you expose yourself to when hand catching any drone and especially this drone! The M2 has very little finger wiggle room for error when hand catching wouldn't you agree? What is the finger clearance from the whirling blades? I'll tell you it is less than 2 inches when grasping the body. Why do that if not necessary? For those flying their drone while mountain climbing forget about safety as it is not what you are after. Thrill seekers have their own agenda. Fine. Go fo it.
You know aerobatic pilots commonly do many things that a 'regular' everyday pilot would not and should not do. Wouldn't you agree? The analogy is appropriate possibly on a different scale. But if the goal here is safety before 'manliness' why are there several defenders here refusing to admit it?

Just to be clear, I do consider hand catching the P3, P4 to be 'safer' than hand catching the M2.

So still waiting for these facts and figures and examples of mavics injuring people while hand catching....

Why are you being dishonest - you dont want to hand catch. Fine. Your choice. But you then go on to exaggerate, invent fictitious danger and have no examples to back your cause.
We're still waiting for mavic injury examples and no RC prop high performance prop damage. Still waiting for those near fatalities you go on about.

[/quote] Also, I'm pretty sure that DJI doesn't concern itself with those kind of stats as it is not in their self-interest. [/quote]

Or they dont concern themselves because its a non issue. In the same way they probably aren't concerned that my kitchen wall is painted blue.

Those are only to prevent noobs from crashing their drones or slicing themselves or others to pieces.

So where are these examples of people slicing themselves on mavics as a result of hand catching? I once hurt my thumb hammering a nail into the wall - by your logic should everyone in the world stop using hammers and nails because they might kill themselves? What about crossing the road? That can be lethal - should we avoid that too? Eating nuts is a choking hazard too.

Who needs prop guards and proximity sensors?

Most people don't unless operating in a confined space.

We get it, you don't want to hand catch, you're terrified of hand catching, you don't know how to do it and dont feel confident doing it. That's fine. That's perfectly acceptable.
But to then go on inventing things claiming that nobody should do it and creating incidents where none exists is dishonest to the extreme.
The truth is a huge number of people hand launch and hand catch on a daily basis and somehow manage to not end up limbless or dead as a result. They're also less likely to damage their drone and can fly it from locations that would otherwise be impossible.
Most people are capable of gently grabbing an object in front of them - it doesn't exactly require much coordination. Yes you'll cut yourself if you put your fingers or face in the props in the same way you'll cut yourself face more if you stick your fingers and face into a desk fan. The solution is simple, dont put your fingers and face into big spinny things.

They are not irrelevant to the danger you suggest exposing others to. You are advocating hand catching as safe and a skill to be learned by droners? The pictures certainly express potential injury that you expose yourself to when hand catching any drone and especially this drone!
Pictures of injuries received from very different drones, swinging very different propellers and with completely unknown handling by unknown operators are irrelevant to your argument and do not express potential injury that you expose yourself to when hand catching any drone and especially this drone!
Especially not this drone.
I'm not advocating one way or another.
I'm just drawing your attention to the dishonesty of your campaign and the irrelevance of your selected "evidence".
That's not the way to win the hearts and minds.

Here you go again, putting 2+2 together and making 7. You're inventing things.

They are not irrelevant to the danger you suggest exposing others to.

Wheres the proof of danger with these small, plastic prop mavics? Proof needed.

You are advocating hand catching as safe and a skill to be learned by droners?

Why shouldn't people do it? Its substantially better for the drone in lots of cases and means its possible to fly from areas otherwise unsafe to use due to obstructions, movement and so on. You stand far less chance smashing it into obstacles, sucking up dust, damage prop blades and many other things. Lots of good reasons to do so.

The pictures certainly express potential injury that you expose yourself to when hand catching any drone and especially this drone!

Except none of the images you found relate to this drone. Different drones, different motors and different props. Again, dishonest.
Why "this" drone? Why is "this" drone special ? Where is your proof its different?

The M2 has very little finger wiggle room for error when hand catching wouldn't you agree?

Err no. Theres a clear gap of several inches between where you grab. Pretty much everyone is capable of moving their hands to an accuracy of a few inches in the same way most able bodied people are able to pick up a coffee mug or a pen without missing totally.
Nobody is trying to grab it from above through spinning props.

What is the finger clearance from the whirling blades? I'll tell you it is less than 2 inches when grasping the body.

Have you ever picked up a pen, coffee mug or any other object? It may shock you that it requires FAR more accuracy than 2 inches.

Why do that if not necessary?

Because its less damaging for the drone and far less risk of it crashing.

For those flying their drone while mountain climbing forget about safety as it is not what you are after.

Where did you get that nonsense from? Mountain climbing?! Oh look, another massive exaggeration and invention.

Lets go with some real world examples. Wanting to take off from a grassy sports pitch. The grass is long, 4-5 inches. There is NOWHERE you can put the mavic down to take off without the props hitting the grass, the gimbal being restricted and so on.

A nice, huge, empty sandy beach, maybe even on a slight slope. Theres no way you want it sucking sand into the motors, gimbal or the props getting chewed up by sand.

A big,flat concrete car park that has the usual drains, wiring and ducting underneath it. Take off from that your compass is shot and the drone will likely crash.

A small clearing in trees with a relatively rocky, uneven path. Putting the drone on the floor means its not level and the props will bang. So you hand launch above that.

Launching off a boat or obstructed deck where there are masts, wires, railings, things to interfere with the compass and possibly a rolling, moving floor.

Hundreds more examples of which its safer to hand launch and catch the drone and where its simply the best option.

Thrill seekers have their own agenda. Fine. Go fo it.

If you class someone flying from a park with slightly long grass or a car park as a thrill seeker you must live a very very shallow, uneventful life.

But if the goal here is safety before 'manliness' why are there several defenders here refusing to admit it?

Again you jump...and miss.

You claim safety. Yet again you fail to provide anything at all to backup your claim its unsafe. And there are LOTS of people out there doing this yet no evidence of injuries, fatalities, inter-dimensional time portals or anything else as a result.
I've given several examples where its safer to catch than try to take off or land it from the ground. Why are you refusing to admit it?

What was this thread about...Hand catching or
Ground to bird height not accurate . :)

Evidently one of the moderators and others including myself forgot about that? I can't help but add one more picture for all the hand catchers. So far, so good?SoFarSoGood.PNG

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS