DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GS4 and Mavic 2 Pro?

Disco4wd

Reactions
I have used DJI Ground Station 4.0 in the past on my Phantom 2 (on a PC) and just wondering if it will work with a Mavic 2 Pro?
From what I've seen, DJI seem to put everything out to suit iPhone/iPad for some, annoying, unknown reason.
I'd really like to be able to run GS4 under Win 10 if possible without having to go to something like UGCS.
Any advice appreciated.

I'd really like to be able to run GS4 under Win 10 if possible without having to go to something like UGCS
These days DJI Ground Station only runs on iPads.
But there are plenty of mapping apps that run on Adroid tablets.
Have a look at DroneDeploy.

It says” Microsoft Windows XP 32bits
Microsoft Windows Vista 32/64 bits
Microsoft Windows 7 32/64 bits
Microsoft Windows 8 32/64 bits”
in the SPECS

in the SPECS
It also says 2014.
That's a very old product that DJI didn't push very much back in the day.

• Sad
Reactions: THE CYBORG
in the SPECS
Thanks..
nothing showing up in your post if you had a link.
It's probably a link to the DJI site that shows GS4 .. but it's the version I've already got and is now unsupported.
Just wanted to find out if anyone was able to use the older version with a Mavic .. maybe hacked
Was a good program and I don't for the life of me understand why DJI have only got it for iPhone now!!
What sort of progressive company limits itself to another company (Apple) that's only got <15% market share when Android has 85%+ in the mobile phone arena and Microsoft, like them or not, has by far the greatest share of the PC market. (I'm talking about the GS4 version here .. not the current GS Pro for iPhone/Android.)

Thanks..
nothing showing up in your post if you had a link.
It's probably a link to the DJI site that shows GS4 .. but it's the version I've already got and is now unsupported.
Just wanted to find out if anyone was able to use the older version with a Mavic .. maybe hacked
Was a good program and I don't for the life of me understand why DJI have only got it for iPhone now!!
What sort of progressive company limits itself to another company (Apple) that's only got <15% market share when Android has 85%+ in the mobile phone arena
and Microsoft, like them or not, has by far the greatest share of the PC market. (I'm talking about the GS4 version here .. not the current GS Pro for iPhone/Android.)

First whoever told you DJI was a progressive company?:oops: I understand your frustration on wanting a free app (Or even paid) But you have to do a bit of history on DJI and their prior releases. When the releases after the P2 came, those being the Inspire 1 and P3 Series. DJI did not include any smart functions or autonomous flight functions. They somewhat advertised that these aircraft could do them but "hid" (For those who couldn't actually read marketing BS?) that it would be a SDK and third parties that would have to write the programs for it to happen.

And happen it did, there was a complete onslaught and shootout of third party apps that hit the market. Each fighting for top of the line features, best bang for your buck and product dominance. Some had easy to learn interfaces, some were much more in depth and required a Engineering degree due to feature set :p In the end the winner and still champion of the SDK shootout is the well known Litchi App. Some of the others that charged plans and subscriptions folded or developers gave up and moved on. There are free programs out there, there are pay programs out there, the choice is yours. On this, yes DJI did concede eventually and gave us firmware (Inspire and P3) that included the SDK and their versions of some Autonomous functions that were popular but no where near what the third parties had already released...You asked why..here is why.......

The SDK is partly free and partly a charge depends on what the developer is using what part for and level of application(s) So DJI is in the money game, and what company isn't? DJI Sells SDK and while I am not sure how it all works from there I think basically they make a great bit of money from it. Why would they invest their engineers to give away a free product and basically cut their own throat on their SDK program? Answer...they wouldn't.

People already own these third party programs (Like me, I have had Litchi for 4 years (paid once and flown 4 DJI products on it) DJI has little interest in marketing their own software, and I suspect that the latest GSPro was a side endeavor by one of their Apple Engineering staff side who took it upon himself to develop it...DJI gets no money from the free app, nor does that developer(s) he gets a "ataboy" and DJI get's sales because it is available.

As far as market share of Android vs. Apple. I have been flying full size aircraft since I was 14. I have been flying RC for over 30 years and flying DJI since before the P3 days....I know of no pilots (Full Size) that do not use Apple products over a Android based system. Not saying they aren't out there. The Android system is a complete mess and that is another story (But one well known) Apple is a proprietary system and closed. Thus it is easy to market to that segment as you know it will just work. With Android it is a crap shoot at best...it is what it is.

Giving things out for free is not DJI's marketing concept. They know that adding a few features into their new models are marketing and sales enhancements and they sell more given these feature sets. That market, SDK 3rd party apps is pretty much over, those people that use them have already bought them. The newer crowd that are now able to "Afford" DJI products now are just a trickle of what was previously sold. That market was the P3,P4 and first Mavic. That ship has sailed. You either have been using it for years and already bought what you needed or are a newer pilot that may help with sales and development of the third parties that paid or will pay money to DJI for the SDK. So again if it doesn't help DJI then they will leave sleeping dogs lie and take what is left of the old market share. That is my take on the whole thing I went through it and observed, I might be right or wrong on some things, but it should give you some incite on why things are what they are. :) Simply if DJI thought there was a dollar to make, they would make it.;)

Other than that and PC based systems..I don't like it anymore than you...I hate the "Phone" generation..Thumb flipping fools :p But guess what..Litchi covered that in their marketing genius as well.. You pay a small price for their system and you can do it PC, Apple or even Android...I told you they are the King...just get Litchi and be done with it...it is causing you way to much stress over the whole matter (And no, I have no affiliation with DJI or Litchi ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Facherty
aren't out there. The Android system is a complete mess and that is another story (But one well known) Apple is a proprietary system and closed. Thus it is easy to market to that segment as you know it will just work. With Android it is a crap shoot at best...it is what it is.
I take it you are an Apple fanboy ;) Personally I hate them, I inherited an iMac and did persevere with the thing for a time but now it is back in it’s box to never turn on again and it’s back to the PC I built.
I got an iPad to use with me drones because that’s the recommendation by most, it is the only device I had problems flying with – blank screen while in flight, gave it to my son & back to Android.
So you can probably tell I am an Android / PC man.
By the way my Smart Controller is Android ?
I don’t want to start the Apple v Android thing again, just saying Apple isn’t for everyone.

Reactions: Disco4wd
I take it you are an Apple fanboy ;) Personally I hate them, I inherited an iMac and did persevere with the thing for a time but now it is back in it’s box to never turn on again and it’s back to the PC I built.
I got an iPad to use with me drones because that’s the recommendation by most, it is the only device I had problems flying with – blank screen while in flight, gave it to my son & back to Android.
So you can probably tell I am an Android / PC man.
By the way my Smart Controller is Android ?
I don’t want to start the Apple v Android thing again, just saying Apple isn’t for everyone.
No sir..got me wrong. I am Android through and through... My Daily phone is and has always been Android. But like you I learned way back when, Apple was the smart bet..So I cringed and bought the darn iPad (my first ever) when I bought my P3P..I mean they just work..I have never had a issue with Apple and DJI. And from watching these and about 100 threads daily nor do about 99% of people that use them for DJI products. The biggest issue I see is when people try and take shortcuts with Apple products, just doesn't work in most situations. You get Apple, you better get Apple approved accessories, and get a Apple that can handle whatever DJI your flying...basically that's it...Open box, plug it in and fly! In the day the only real Android product that could fly DJI realiably was the Nvidia tablet, since discontinued. But since I already have Apple and it will work for at least 3 more years (my projection for DJI use) ..I have no need to go back to try Android for DJI.

I mean this in no disrespect, but us Android guys just don't get Apple and how they work, so we get frustrated and ditch them, much like you report. You should know I also have a SC, and you can bet if DJI could have made it a Apple (Which Apple would never allow) it would be. :p

I love my PC and I love my Android Phone...and I just kinda like that my Apple products (I have gone through one upgrade) work perfect for DJI...that's just that kind sir. ;)

Last edited:
First whoever told you DJI was a progressive company?:oops: I understand your frustration on wanting a free app (Or even paid) But you have to do a bit of history on DJI and their prior releases. When the releases after the P2 came, those being the Inspire 1 and P3 Series. DJI did not include any smart functions or autonomous flight functions. They somewhat advertised that these aircraft could do them but "hid" (For those who couldn't actually read marketing BS?) that it would be a SDK and third parties that would have to write the programs for it to happen.

And happen it did, there was a complete onslaught and shootout of third party apps that hit the market. Each fighting for top of the line features, best bang for your buck and product dominance. Some had easy to learn interfaces, some were much more in depth and required a Engineering degree due to feature set :p In the end the winner and still champion of the SDK shootout is the well known Litchi App. Some of the others that charged plans and subscriptions folded or developers gave up and moved on. There are free programs out there, there are pay programs out there, the choice is yours. On this, yes DJI did concede eventually and gave us firmware (Inspire and P3) that included the SDK and their versions of some Autonomous functions that were popular but no where near what the third parties had already released...You asked why..here is why.......

The SDK is partly free and partly a charge depends on what the developer is using what part for and level of application(s) So DJI is in the money game, and what company isn't? DJI Sells SDK and while I am not sure how it all works from there I think basically they make a great bit of money from it. Why would they invest their engineers to give away a free product and basically cut their own throat on their SDK program? Answer...they wouldn't.

People already own these third party programs (Like me, I have had Litchi for 4 years (paid once and flown 4 DJI products on it) DJI has little interest in marketing their own software, and I suspect that the latest GSPro was a side endeavor by one of their Apple Engineering staff side who took it upon himself to develop it...DJI gets no money from the free app, nor does that developer(s) he gets a "ataboy" and DJI get's sales because it is available.

As far as market share of Android vs. Apple. I have been flying full size aircraft since I was 14. I have been flying RC for over 30 years and flying DJI since before the P3 days....I know of no pilots (Full Size) that do not use Apple products over a Android based system. Not saying they aren't out there. The Android system is a complete mess and that is another story (But one well known) Apple is a proprietary system and closed. Thus it is easy to market to that segment as you know it will just work. With Android it is a crap shoot at best...it is what it is.

Giving things out for free is not DJI's marketing concept. They know that adding a few features into their new models are marketing and sales enhancements and they sell more given these feature sets. That market, SDK 3rd party apps is pretty much over, those people that use them have already bought them. The newer crowd that are now able to "Afford" DJI products now are just a trickle of what was previously sold. That market was the P3,P4 and first Mavic. That ship has sailed. You either have been using it for years and already bought what you needed or are a newer pilot that may help with sales and development of the third parties that paid or will pay money to DJI for the SDK. So again if it doesn't help DJI then they will leave sleeping dogs lie and take what is left of the old market share. That is my take on the whole thing I went through it and observed, I might be right or wrong on some things, but it should give you some incite on why things are what they are. :) Simply if DJI thought there was a dollar to make, they would make it.;)

Other than that and PC based systems..I don't like it anymore than you...I hate the "Phone" generation..Thumb flipping fools :p But guess what..Litchi covered that in their marketing genius as well.. You pay a small price for their system and you can do it PC, Apple or even Android...I told you they are the King...just get Litchi and be done with it...it is causing you way to much stress over the whole matter (And no, I have no affiliation with DJI or Litchi ;)
thank you very much for that detailed insight .. and I think you are spot on in what you say.
It's just a shame that DJI doesn't provide a suitable software solution for a generally well built product. (I'm happy to pay for it)
It seem's to be a 'we're ONLY interested in selling you our product and we want NOTHING more to do with you after that' type of attitude. It leaves a sour taste in your mouth and a reluctance to ever buy another of their products.
But, they currently have a massive client base and won't be too worried. Maybe if the company get's into difficulty down the track .. they may come crawling back to us 'troublesome' agitators. :)
Thanks again .. stay safe!!

thank you very much for that detailed insight .. and I think you are spot on in what you say.
It's just a shame that DJI doesn't provide a suitable software solution for a generally well built product. (I'm happy to pay for it)
It seem's to be a 'we're ONLY interested in selling you our product and we want NOTHING more to do with you after that' type of attitude. It leaves a sour taste in your mouth and a reluctance to ever buy another of their products.
But, they currently have a massive client base and won't be too worried. Maybe if the company get's into difficulty down the track .. they may come crawling back to us 'troublesome' agitators. :)
Thanks again .. stay safe!!
Your quite welcome, but they did cover their bases and continue to with releasing SDK for their products...and just a note if they didn't care about their products or their customers they wouldn't routinely releases update and upgrades via firmware. Again if you don't have it..get Litchi..it gives you a whole new aircraft, Programing missions on a PC is so much easier for these tired old eyes, and you can sample run the mission..tells you times and everything, and has a easy learning curve (YouTube Videos) :) Remember to program everything high on first missions, you can adjust/modify saved flights down from there on site or back home on PC. And ALWAYS set a last way point extremely close to the home point. JFYI. ;)

Last edited:
Litchi..it gives you a whole new aircraft, Programing missions on a PC is so much easier for these tired old eyes, and you can sample run the mission..tells you times and everything, and has a easy learning curve (YouTube Videos) :) Remember to program everything high on first missions, you can adjust/modify saved flights down from there on site or back home on PC. And ALWAYS set a last way point extremely close to the home point. JFYI. ;)
Has Litchi any advantages for simply flying ? I don’t have any interest in programming missions, for me the fun is in the flying.

DJI do provide a free product for iPad users, and there are free options that are as good or better if you don't use an Apple device.
I pointed you toward one back in post #3.

Has Litchi any advantages for simply flying ? I don’t have any interest in programming missions, for me the fun is in the flying.
Not really.
Litchi's party trick is its waypoint implementation.

And it's not going to help the OP if he's wanting to use something like UGCS.
He needs a proper mapping app.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111