DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

had a crash, getting gimble motor overloaded now

merk

Reactions
Hi All, first post here and unfortunately it's not a happy one. Although not as bad as it could be.

Was flying yesterday and got too close to some tree branches and lets just say i made a sudden landing. Fortunately i didn't crash into the tree just clipped the branches with the props. So it fell through the branches and landed in some brush, which is probably why it's pretty much intact. A few scrapes on the outside and the props were damaged but other then that it's working - except for the camera gimble. It keeps giving me a gimble motor overload. I took it for a short test flight indoors and it seemed to fly fine.

Amazingly i don't see any scratches on the camera or lens. And i can't see any damage on the gimble either. All the wires appear to be intact and there isnt any obvious damage i can see. The camera itself still works.

Any ideas as to what i can do/check to try and fix it? and does anyone know of any place in the sf/bay area that could repair it? hopefully by wed afternoon since i have a shoot scheduled then.

You probably damaged the gimbal ribbon cable and will need to replace it. Search the forum; you will find lots of info on the ribbon cable.

Reactions: Z953
There is a part of the ribbon that turns 90*. I didn't see a tiny 1/2mm to on the inside corner until I dismantled the ribbon to replace it.

Reactions: JeepDSL
There is a part of the ribbon that turns 90*. I didn't see a tiny 1/2mm to on the inside corner until I dismantled the ribbon to replace it.
I guess i'll have to try doing that when i get home - the gimbal calibration didnt do anything.

as far as i can tell the cable is intact. I literally can not see a single scratch anywhere on the camera or gimble. I'll attach some photos i took with my camera of it to show you. If you want to see it from a different angle just let me know. And I'll try the gimble reset, thanks.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

(sorry the image insert doesn't seem to be working)
As @Z953 indicated, there are parts of the ribbon that you really can't see until you take the gimbal apart. Even then, the cable may look fine to the naked eye but could have microscopic breaks in the conductive film. The ribbon cable is very fragile and seems to be one of the most problematic parts of the drone. Sometimes people have had problems with it right out of the box.

hey guys,
just got done replacing the cable and the camera is working now - mostly. When it goes through it's start up routine it seems to do it a little more violently then it did it previously. It sounds like the camera is actually hitting part of the housing because it's moving so abruptly. And it briefly flashes gimbal overload but then seems to be ok and the camera controls seem to work normally as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007