DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had a mild heart attack!

mad monkey

Reactions
I was out flying behind the house this evening and got notified 50%drone battery and low battery on controller 26% . I wasn't worried because I was just going to go for a short 200ft max run to check out some changes I made to the app settings.

All of a sudden I lost communication... App said disconnected and the drone started I believe to go into rth mode... Only I thought my launch site was the roof of my house..... Thankfully was looking like trying to land so worst case I'd have to get a ladder... But I wouldn't land. I quickly rebooted the controller and was able to regain control to hand land... But there was some real serious moments of terror that I was going to lose this brand new drone!

That's my story. Thanks.

That would have had me panicked too.

So to reconnect, you just powered the controller down and back up? I had a similar issue on my second flight ever, it just dropped connection and returned to home. I didn't know what to do in order to reconnect.

Glad it ended well.

Reactions: Bunraku and BMW Z4
When I started the flight everything was low charge. I didn't charge my controller in advance because I wanted to run it down before its second ever charge.

Yep I've had this one happen to me, drone was barely 200m away from me over the river and RC seemingly crashed. I reboot RC as it began to land and was able to regain control. Precision landing worked a treat as I let it land anyway and it did within a foot from takeoff. Seems to be more occurrences of this happening lately... i wonder if its a known bug?

Reactions: Chipmunksky
I hand landed mine yesterday after my remote went dead. I always fly up 30' and set the home point manually before going anywhere just to be absolutely certain that the home point is correct.

I made the mistake and didn't check my RC level before taking off and the thing charged my phone till it died.

Definitely need a stiff drink after that happens and your drone is a mile from home! That stand around looking towards the sky wondering where the hell the drone is and if it will ever make it back SUCKS!!!

What do you go into to set the home point manually?
Because I'm flying off my deck I want to set the home point in the grass instead. But I can't really launch from there (poor mobility issues)
I would like to know that as well, I usually just hover until I get a GPS lock, then go fly. Didn't know there was a way to set the point manually.

Reactions: Odom1957
I regularly set my homepoint different from my takeoff point, since I'm normally not in the middle of my yard when I take off.

Reactions: Astom22
I regularly set my homepoint different from my takeoff point, since I'm normally not in the middle of my yard when I take off.
So can you hover and set the homepoint, you don't have to land again, right? Thanks

Reactions: Odom1957
So can you hover and set the homepoint, you don't have to land again, right? Thanks

Yup! I fly out into the middle of my yard, set the homepoint while hovering about 30' up, then proceed as normal.

I tested this once using my landing pad and it came back and landed dead center on the pad, which was 50' away from my takeoff point.

Reactions: Astom22
Yup! I fly out into the middle of my yard, set the homepoint while hovering about 30' up, then proceed as normal.

I tested this once using my landing pad and it came back and landed dead center on the pad, which was 50' away from my takeoff point.
That's awesome, thanks for taking the time to share this in such detail. I will use this the next time I fly.

Reactions: Opabob and Odom1957
I was out flying behind the house this evening and got notified 50%drone battery and low battery on controller 26% . I wasn't worried because I was just going to go for a short 200ft max run to check out some changes I made to the app settings.

All of a sudden I lost communication... App said disconnected and the drone started I believe to go into rth mode... Only I thought my launch site was the roof of my house..... Thankfully was looking like trying to land so worst case I'd have to get a ladder... But I wouldn't land. I quickly rebooted the controller and was able to regain control to hand land... But there was some real serious moments of terror that I was going to lose this brand new drone!

That's my story. Thanks.

That's a very real experience for many of us new drone owners and enthusiasts. I'm glad that you and your drone are ok :)

Reactions: mad monkey
What do you go into to set the home point manually?
Because I'm flying off my deck I want to set the home point in the grass instead. But I can't really launch from there (poor mobility issues)

If you had someone stake down a landing pad in the grass for you, you could fly there manually and then re-launch from the pad, I would think, to set the home point. Maybe give that a try. Obviously this adds a step each time you fly, but I know that it might be easier in the end.

If you had someone stake down a landing pad in the grass for you, you could fly there manually and then re-launch from the pad, I would think, to set the home point. Maybe give that a try. Obviously this adds a step each time you fly, but I know that it might be easier in the end.
I've got a pad I've used a few times. But so far I've been limited to residential flying. So it's not the best at rth
I've gotten better at hand landing too which helps . Gotta bring it in sideways to avoid the sensors.

Yep I've had this one happen to me, drone was barely 200m away from me over the river and RC seemingly crashed. I reboot RC as it began to land and was able to regain control. Precision landing worked a treat as I let it land anyway and it did within a foot from takeoff. Seems to be more occurrences of this happening lately... i wonder if its a known bug?

Yeah, it's a "bug" alright! It's called DJI Go 4 Ver 4.2.20 to an Android. Plus I had a 4 second lag on the controls & unusable screen pixelation. I had to drop to version 4.2.16 to fix it.

Yeah, it's a "bug" alright! It's called DJI Go 4 Ver 4.2.20 to an Android. Plus I had a 4 second lag on the controls & unusable screen pixelation. I had to drop to version 4.2.16 to fix it.
Yes, I got this too, drone was unusable until I dropped back a few versions of the app.

When I started the flight everything was low charge. I didn't charge my controller in advance because I wanted to run it down before its second ever charge.

These batteries are li-ion, does NOT need to be “refreshed”. Keep them between 60-80% charge at all times to extend life, just like your smartphone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU