DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had my first real crash - Mini SE

rjwmorrell

Reactions
So it finally happened. I was shooting footage in my town, and trying to set up a shot where the Mini SE rises up from just above a planter sitting between traffic lanes, and then reveals the "main" street of the town. Anyway, as I was maneuvering it above the flowers, I misjudged the distance to the road sign at the end of the planter (which also serves as a traffic separator island).

The aft port side propellers made contact with the metal road sign and the aircraft lost lift at the rear and landed in the dirt in the planter on the aft end. I retrieved it easily enough and the only damage seems to be the loss of both rear sets of propellers. The end of one was chipped off by about 3-4mm, and the other on that same pair had some fraying. The aft starboard props showed slight damage, no chipping or fraying - they could probably have still been used.

I cleaned off all the dirt after the aircraft's dirt nap, and replaced both rear sets of props (my only spares... I have more on order). Replacing was a cinch, even with the DJI screwdriver that was included that everyone complains about. I ran a full compass and IMU calibration afterwards. No error codes appeared.

HOWEVER, the aft port motor was spinning rough and clicking when stopping and starting for the next few cycles. I test flew it after the props were replaced, and other than that there were no issues. The motor clicking went away after a couple of short flights.

I was lucky this time, I know. And I'm glad it was the smaller Mini SE, it would be easier on the pocketbook if it needed proper repairs or replacement. This was the first real crash other than bussing some leaves off a tree branch at low altitude in one of its earliest flights and also tipping over upside down on the grass below.

Anyway that's my story!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78