DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand left take-off with CSC

m3sgal

Reactions
When placing the drone on hand, and then initiating a CSC (both sticks down and inwards), the motors start to spin waiting for you to take-off with the left stick. However, I noticed that if I don't touch the left stick, and instead left the hand with the drone up then away from the drone, then the drone will actually initiate take-off and holds itself in the air.
I'm wondering if this is still a safe way to take-off, as I couldn't find it in the manual

Reactions: ff22
Officially the drone is not supposed to be hand launched so you will not be able to find it in the manual.

Hand launching is just invented by users through trials and errors so no one is authoritative enough to give you a definitive answer. If people have tried it a number of times and it works consistently, then I guess it will be regraded as safe.

However, I noticed that if I don't touch the left stick, and instead left the hand with the drone up then away from the drone, then the drone will actually initiate take-off and holds itself in the air.
Yes, this is a known thing. And it's nice to do that :)
But I don't use CSC, i just use option in the mobile app to take off from hand.

I have a Tello and it has the option to "throw to launch" which seems to work reliably. It does take some courage to throw the drone out into the unknown, hoping that it will do its stuff! The procedure involved spinning up the props to idle and gently throwing the drone out and forwards. The IMU senses this movement and powers up the props further to initiate a hover.

The MM seems to behave in a very similar way when the props are spun up to idle with the CSC stick maneuvre. I'm not advocating trying to "throw-launch" the MM, but the operation described in post #1 is essentially a very gentle and controlled version of the same move.

I use that hover out of my hand approach quite frequently. Watch out for a slight drift on 'take off', for me it tends to be forward and sometimes sideways and I am left wondering if I tilt my hand slightly.

Perfect. I find this to be the best for me, since I can launch from anywhere without needing a pad or clean level surface. Plus, it requires less coordination between me, the drone, and the controller, as I can focus on lefting the drone and moving out of its way, regaining my hands back.
I don't trust auto take-off from hand. Not after I once attempted it and one motor got stuck and it flipped. With the CSC at least I can check the motors, then left it gently.
If only there was an easier way to initiate motor spinning other than the CSC, it is still difficult with one hand. Wish there was a dedicated switch...

I've never used the CSC, and I've only used hand launch and recoveries...I just use the icon on left side of screen for takeoffs and landings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada