DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hand luggage at the airport with drone from London to Italy, any airport security restriction?

Alchemist101

Reactions
HI All, next week I'm travelling for a weekend in Italy from London Stansted. In my hand luggage , to take with me on the plane, I want to bring my Mavic Pro and 3 batteries. Anyone know if there are any airport security restriction on this? Thank you

Last edited:
I came back from the Caribbean a month ago with my M2P & 3 batteries in my fly more bag. Mine was also hand luggage & didn’t have no problems at all.

We had to fly into France 1st (Charles degalle airport) then into Heathrow so had to go through two security checks, no problem.

You’ll be fineThumbswayup

Last edited:
Reactions: choo choo
I came back from the Caribbean a month ago with my M2P & 3 batteries in my fly more bag. Mine was also hand luggage & didn’t have no problems at all.

We had to fly into France 1st (Charles degalle airport) then into Heathrow so had to go through two security checks, no problem.

You’ll be fineThumbswayup
Thank you very helpful! Where did you fly in Caribbean?

Thank you very helpful! Where did you fly in Caribbean?

We were on the island of Sint-Maarten. That’s also where I bought my baby drone. I’ve been flying for a few years now but didn’t want to take my Inspire with me, to big.. hence why I bought the M2PThumbswayup

We were on the island of Sint-Maarten. That’s also where I bought my baby drone. I’ve been flying for a few years now but didn’t want to take my Inspire with me, to big.. hence why I bought the M2PThumbswayup
Ok, the reason of question is because I went in Cuba and os totally banned a drone. Thank you.

Ok, the reason of question is because I went in Cuba and os totally banned a drone. Thank you.

I’ve flown in Sint-Maarten loads of times with no problems at all. This year I saw quite a few drone flying about, one Inspire / loads of smaller Dji drones.

Have fun in Italy & enjoy your new toy.

Reactions: Alchemist101
HI All, next week I'm travelling for a weekend in Italy from London Stansted. In my hand luggage , to take with me on the plane, I want to bring my Mavic Pro and 3 batteries. Anyone know if there are any airport security restriction on this? Thank you

I’ve just returned from Rome to Uk. The only stipulation is that batteries have to go into carry on luggage NOT in the hold luggage.
You don’t need lipo bags, but if you want to be flashy, you can buy little plastic connector covers...or just use a strip of insulation tape across the connectors. They aren’t required, but for extra piece of mind and shows that you are aware of any risk.
The reason for batteries in hand luggage is simple...in the unlikely event they catch fire, the cabin crew would be immediately aware and can tackle it.
If they are in the hold luggage...well you can imagine the result at 37,000 feet.

Reactions: Porky
Good advice all around. I can only add.... Please contact the airline AND airport security and pose your plan to carry on your equipment. Ask them for advice in advance. I ask for names, job title, and the name of a person I should contact if I have problems when I arrive or go through security. Being able to say, " I talked with (name) and she said if I had problems you should contact (supervisor/authority)." it will help defuse any confusion.

Additionally I found this video loaded with good advice. (FWIW, ALL his videos are very helpful and factual).

Good advice all around. I can only add.... Please contact the airline AND airport security and pose your plan to carry on your equipment. Ask them for advice in advance. I ask for names, job title, and the name of a person I should contact if I have problems when I arrive or go through security. Being able to say, " I talked with (name) and she said if I had problems you should contact (supervisor/authority)." it will help defuse any confusion.

I didn’t do any of your comments & had no problem with my drone/batteries on my last trip or previous trips I’ve had. I think now days airport security see so many drones being taken on as hand luggage it’s the norm.. as taking cameras/equipment on board a plane. My drone was in a bag with all my charging equipment/GoPro cameras & so on but I didn’t even get a 2nd glance from security.

I’m not saying your wrong but you don’t want to make things more complicated than they are by contacting the airline/security about it.

I had no issues flying in and out of Italy this summer. I did notice that Lufthansa and Turkish air are a lot more concerned with carry-on bag weight than US carriers. They even had a scale at the gate at Malpensa. US carriers worry about size more than weight.

A little side note about flying in Italy is that everybody who approached me about flying my Mavic Air was very welcoming. They had questions, but it was all about learning. I flew in small town areas in the Alps including from an old fort on top of a mountain and there were no hassles at all. I live in San Francisco, and I still get nervous here when I want to fly because it feels like the city is a big no fly zone at times :)

I flew through London Heathrow twice last month, which will have the same policies as Stansted. Zero problems with the drone, and I volunteered the information that I had one each time through security. Once they asked me to turn it on (the battery light was enough - didn't need to fully power it on) and the usual explosives swab and I was on my way. iPads and Laptops have to come completely out of your bag - that was the only thing most people seemed to get caught up on because most people take out laptops, but not iPads.

Thank you everybody, you have been very helpful in your comments.
I decided to travel with hand baggage, inside the carry-on bag I will put:
- My drone Mavic Pro without battery and without propellers
- 3 batteries stored in 3 different battery safety case
- Mavic Pro remote controller
- 8 propellers
- printed sheet of rules and restrictions from the official UK website

fingers crossed and hopefully everything is fine!

Thank you!

Trust all our comments we have all put forward. We’ve all been there, seen that, done that, as the saying goes....

On your next trip you won’t even think about the worries of taking your drone, you’ll just take it just like everything else in your luggage.

Again have a save flight & great tripThumbswayup look forward to seeing some of your drone pics;)

HI All, next week I'm travelling for a weekend in Italy from London Stansted....I want to bring my Mavic Pro and 3 batteries. Anyone know if there are any airport security restriction on this? Thank you

I flew out of Luton with easy jet last week to Sicily. No issues. Everything packed to the best of my newbie knowledge. Batteries part drained and in a protective bag. The only issue is the local police where I’m staying have said I can’t fly it. [emoji30]
Bev

Batteries part drained and in a protective bag.
No airline in the world or airport security people will ever ask about the charge level of the batteries or Lipo bags.
There's no need at all for that.

Reactions: Porky
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada