DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hard lesson learned

RMundy806

Reactions
So just as I was becoming comfortable, I did something stupid. While flying at the beach, I didn't want to chance getting sand in the motors so I attempted a hand landing. Luckily I only received a minor laceration to my thumb. My MA2 however hit the concrete from about 4 ft. I don't see any physical damage to the craft. I will of course change all the props. Should I be worried about my next flight?

Nope, you should be fine. Well, you will find out soon enough, but those blades are knives sharp. I have scars on my forearm from 7 years ago, when I stupidly started my DJI 550 on my work bench. I impress all the girls with those now lol.

I have a mavic air 2 that I have flown into a tree doing like 60 km an hour and she still flies like a beauty. if there’s something wrong with it you will notice as soon as you takeoff I suggest trying it in a big open space prior to flying over objects just to make sure. The app usually won’t let you takeoff if there’s a major issue. recently active track had a moment of itself and I decided to go right into the only telephone pole near me well following me on my scooter but even that only broke one of the back legs. but when I picked up the unit I could hear stuff rattling inside so I decided to send it in as I have refresh. Trust me you don’t want to do that if you don’t have to as you will miss flying right away even though the whole replacement only takes a few weeks. Anyways my point is these Mavics are built very well and can take away more of a beating then you would think. if you’re worried about scratches then get a wrap they make it more waterproof and will cover all that plus you’ll be probably one of the only ones with a crazy color drone. in the future if you keep your hands flat and press down on the stick that makes the drone go up and down it should land smoothly right in your hand without the blades hitting you the only time the blades it hit me was when I tried to do a toss launch ha ha

A few things can get damaged :

Gimbal
put the craft into hovering, rock the craft sideway by moving the aileron stick between the limits quickly. The video feed should keep steady. Repeat for the elevator.

Fly around and see if the orientation of the camera can be kept unchanged. Check if panning controls work properly.

IMU
do an IMU calibration. If it can be done, the IMU should be basically OK

obstacle avoidance cameras
check if obstacle avoidance work

So just as I was becoming comfortable, I did something stupid. While flying at the beach, I didn't want to chance getting sand in the motors so I attempted a hand landing. Luckily I only received a minor laceration to my thumb. My MA2 however hit the concrete from about 4 ft. I don't see any physical damage to the craft. I will of course change all the props. Should I be worried about my next flight?
It's possible damage the sensors. The are mechanical and even if they seem fine now the shock could cause a sudden failure.
To be sure probably unlikely if they test ok now, but something to consider.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair