DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hardshell case vs. backpack for MA2 - get both or is there a solution for both?

Taymar

Reactions
Hey all, recently got a MA2 fly more combo, and am looking for a sturdier way to transport it. I need something with enough protection to take with me on a plane, but I also need the comfort of a backpack for carrying the drone once at my destination.

I'm struggling with whether to just suck it up and buy a hardshell case AND a lighter backpack and swap everything over, or whether there is a backpack with enough protection to survive the overhead bins on a plane. Most of the backpacks I've seen seem to be hardshell on the back only.

I've read a few 'what bag should I get' threads and got a few ideas but would appreciate any advice specific to my problem.

thanks very much

This is what I currently use for my MA2 flymore combo. It's both a soft AND hardshell bag. I originally got it for my Mavic Pro, but it's so versatile and configurable. Read up on the specs. I bet you'll like it. It's a bit pricey, but buy once cry once I always say.

edit: there's a smaller version of this bag (BP200 I think), but with this bag you can carry all your drone, accessories or even perhaps 2 folding drones and whatever essential you may need on a flight. It's also a backpack, so it's perfect for hiking, biking, camping. Most of the time I just work out of it from the trunk of my car. Really love the hardshell aspect of it, so you know your gear won't easily get crushed.

Reactions: Taymar
For the last 8 months or so I’ve carried my MA2 or my Mini 2 in their DJI cases inside a climbing backpack (Back Diamond Speed 22) on several thousand miles of mountain bike rides. The drones in their cases within the backpack have not been damaged at all through 4 or 5 tumbling crashes, innumerable bumps from low hanging tree branches, my tossing the backpack up & down pouroffs, over fences and across creeks.

I don’t feel that I need a hard case, but if I was traveling and the drone could end up as checked baggage rather than carryon I’d probably consider one.

Howard

I had an old tamrac expedition Camara bag that I repurposed. Though it's a soft sided backpack the padding is heavy duty. I can carry 4 foldable drones along with all the batteries, chargers and controllers plus 2 huge powerbanks and tablets. If you hop on eBay you can find them from like $50( smaller expedition 3) up to about $250( expedition 8x)

Thanks all - I went with the Lowepro backpack that Longrifle linked. Seems like a good combo with the backpack convenience and hard shell protection.

Reactions: LongRifle
Thanks all - I went with the Lowepro backpack that Longrifle linked. Seems like a good combo with the backpack convenience and hard shell protection.
Nice. That one has been in my wishlist for awhile now. Let us know what you think of it after using for a bit

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost