DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Harper's Ferry National Park, West Virginia - Preserved/Restored Civil War Era town

macfawlty

Reactions
This morning's flights, only 90 minutes from DC. The intersection of MD, WV and VA at the junction of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers.

Spent most of my 4 batteries filming, but took a few pics of the town for these panos. My launchpad is visible to the right of center on the high bluff. A popular vantage point next to an abandoned hotel. The trestle bridge in the right foreground is now a pedestrian bridge crossing the Potomac River and into a tunnel through the cliff face (in shadow in the a.m.). A nice hike up for a similar vantage point as my Mavic.

The 2nd bridge is the working track that comes through the tunnel to the train station right in town.

If you live in the DC area, this is a wonderful place to practice your cinematic moves. Most of the town and land on both sides of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers is National Park land, but you can fly from near the hotel (at the end of East RIdge St.), from the water (with a boat) or walk out on a rock island when the water level allows (been low for the last few weeks). In the fall, it's a very colorful scene. I'm practicing a variety of moves in preparation for peak color.DJI_0349-54.jpg

DJI_0359-64.jpg

You weren’t actually flying in the National Park Area were you?? If so you’re about to become a casualty of the National Park
legal System. I would stronglyur you to take down any and all info pertaining to the flights you made. If not share more please, the pics are simply amazing. Absolutely some of the best I’ve seen without question. It does look like you know the rules and that youre good. Just fantastic!

Tell me if was from the M2Zoom that these wonderful photos were shot from.

You weren’t actually flying in the National Park Area were you?? If so you’re about to become a casualty of the National Park
legal System. I would stronglyur you to take down any and all info pertaining to the flights you made. If not share more please, the pics are simply amazing. Absolutely some of the best I’ve seen without question. It does look like you know the rules and that youre good. Just fantastic!

I know Harper's Ferry pretty well. I respect the National Park restrictions always. Launch areas here are very limited as much of the town is in the National Park including both river banks on the West Virginia (town) side. The entire Maryland side of the Potomac River is the C&O Canal National Park (to the right of my photos) and that extends from Washington DC nearly 200 miles to Cumberland, MD. (I know 'cause I live on the MD side) The Virginia side of the Shenandoah River (the left side of the photos) is also National Park land.

As I mentioned, the bluff by the abandoned hotel is not in the National Park. It's pretty easy to find, just uphill from the town, park your car at the end of the street. I can also put my kayak into either river, which is not part of the National Park. That's how I get around the park restrictions, which is acceptable.

Great pics! Interesting location and narrative.
Gonna post some of the video?

Here's a video from the same perspective. I think I went into a tree briefly at the tail end of this clip (not shown). There's a tall, steep cliff face opposite the town with a large old painted advertisement barely visible ('Mennen's Borated Toilet Powder'). I didn't shoot the cliff face this time 'cause it's in shadow in the a.m. I'll have to post some clips from last year. My altitude is pretty high as you can see, with part of the cliff at the right side of the frame at the end.

Last edited:
Well, to be quite Frank, I figured it was the M2P, I was hoping the Zoom took those Photos. I know the M2P does a great job with videos.

Well, to be quite Frank, I figured it was the M2P, I was hoping the Zoom took those Photos. I know the M2P does a great job with videos.
I’m sure the zoom takes equally good photos. I don’t use the automated pano mode. Easy enough to take 5 or 6 shots with 65% overlap, export to pano in Photoshop after Lightroom edits. There’s quite a bit of latitude in the RAW format.

How did you get permission to fly there? I thought that whole area was considered a national park. I dont live far from there in MD and have looked into flying there because of the great scenery, but have never even tried because all charts and apps show a red line around pretty much the whole area. Did you get permission from the park service? If so I would really like to know who you spoke with and get their contact information, so I could maybe get permission to fly there myself. The pictures are awesome by the way.
This morning's flights, only 90 minutes from DC. The intersection of MD, WV and VA at the junction of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers.

Spent most of my 4 batteries filming, but took a few pics of the town for these panos. My launchpad is visible to the right of center on the high bluff. A popular vantage point next to an abandoned hotel. The trestle bridge in the right foreground is now a pedestrian bridge crossing the Potomac River and into a tunnel through the cliff face (in shadow in the a.m.). A nice hike up for a similar vantage point as my Mavic.

The 2nd bridge is the working track that comes through the tunnel to the train station right in town.

If you live in the DC area, this is a wonderful place to practice your cinematic moves. Most of the town and land on both sides of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers is National Park land, but you can fly from near the hotel (at the end of East RIdge St.), from the water (with a boat) or walk out on a rock island when the water level allows (been low for the last few weeks). In the fall, it's a very colorful scene. I'm practicing a variety of moves in preparation for peak color.View attachment 81773

View attachment 81774

How did you get permission to fly there? I thought that whole area was considered a national park. I dont live far from there in MD and have looked into flying there because of the great scenery, but have never even tried because all charts and apps show a red line around pretty much the whole area. Did you get permission from the park service? If so I would really like to know who you spoke with and get their contact information, so I could maybe get permission to fly there myself. The pictures are awesome by the way.

I've flown there a handful of times over the last year. It's really a great place to practice your moves. So many opportunities with all of the features presented all in one spot. If you read through the thread here, you'll know exactly where to launch that is NOT in the park boundaries. I'm flying over the two rivers most of the time, not over the park or other areas where there are people. On google maps, it's called 'Hilltop View' on E. Ridge St. Hilltop View

I was there on Sunday morning. Morning is a good time to fly. The sun lights up the town, fog lifting from the rivers. The cliff face is in shadow in the morning, but it gets sun starting from midday to late afternoon. So, save some batteries for later in the day. Parking is available at the abandoned hotel, but parking in town is impossible, so pack a lunch or grab something in town before heading up to the launch. You may find parking up from the town on Washington St. and walk down to town for a lunch break. The launch is not as close to town as it appears the map as it's all uphill to the bluff.

So, get up there and practice. A few weeks and we'll see some fall colors coming in. I'll have to post my video clips from last fall.

some trains on the tracks next time please

Yeh, I know. What good is footage of train tracks without a train? One came through as I was setting up, but didn't see another. Like I said, I'm practicing up for the fall season and I'll make sure I capture the train next time. Mostly freight trains on the weekend I believe, but I'll have to check the Amtrak schedule.

Okay I know exactly where your talking about, well most of it. I'm not familiar with the abandoned hotel you mentioned. When I go there I usually park at the off site lot and ride one of the buses over. I definitely know what you mean about trying to park in the town, its next to impossible during main tourist season. I'm for sure going to head over this weekend, the weather is going to be great.
I've flown there a handful of times over the last year. It's really a great place to practice your moves. So many opportunities with all of the features presented all in one spot. If you read through the thread here, you'll know exactly where to launch that is NOT in the park boundaries. I'm flying over the two rivers most of the time, not over the park or other areas where there are people. On google maps, it's called 'Hilltop View' on E. Ridge St. Hilltop View

I was there on Sunday morning. Morning is a good time to fly. The sun lights up the town, fog lifting from the rivers. The cliff face is in shadow in the morning, but it gets sun starting from midday to late afternoon. So, save some batteries for later in the day. Parking is available at the abandoned hotel, but parking in town is impossible, so pack a lunch or grab something in town before heading up to the launch. You may find parking up from the town on Washington St. and walk down to town for a lunch break. The launch is not as close to town as it appears the map as it's all uphill to the bluff.

So, get up there and practice. A few weeks and we'll see some fall colors coming in. I'll have to post my video clips from last fall.

Okay I know exactly where your talking about, well most of it. I'm not familiar with the abandoned hotel you mentioned. When I go there I usually park at the off site lot and ride one of the buses over. I definitely know what you mean about trying to park in the town, its next to impossible during main tourist season. I'm for sure going to head over this weekend, the weather is going to be great.

You won't have any problems finding it from the google maps link. There are people visiting the lookout throughout the day and the flagpole area with your best vantage point isn't real big, but it's easy enough to launch quickly. If need be, you can land in the grassy area directly adjacent. I'd definitely split your flying, mid-morning, then save some batteries for mid-afternoon. You don't need to get there real early 'cause the sun has to rise above the ridge line to light up the town and railroad bridges.

It's a great place to fly. Try not to fly over the town and National Park so as not to annoy the rangers. Don't fly over the people on top of Weverton Cliffs. Most of your flying is over the Potomac anyway. If for some reason someone calls the Park Police to complain, they could drive up the hill for a chat. I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but you'll want plausible deniability in any case.

Yeh, I know. What good is footage of train tracks without a train? One came through as I was setting up, but didn't see another. Like I said, I'm practicing up for the fall season and I'll make sure I capture the train next time. Mostly freight trains on the weekend I believe, but I'll have to check the Amtrak schedule.
John Brown would be proud of you!

I know Harper's Ferry pretty well. I respect the National Park restrictions always. Launch areas here are very limited as much of the town is in the National Park including both river banks on the West Virginia (town) side. The entire Maryland side of the Potomac River is the C&O Canal National Park (to the right of my photos) and that extends from Washington DC nearly 200 miles to Cumberland, MD. (I know 'cause I live on the MD side) The Virginia side of the Shenandoah River (the left side of the photos) is also National Park land.

As I mentioned, the bluff by the abandoned hotel is not in the National Park. It's pretty easy to find, just uphill from the town, park your car at the end of the street. I can also put my kayak into either river, which is not part of the National Park. That's how I get around the park restrictions, which is acceptable.
That's fantastic! I love the area so much. My Wife just came home from a week long Conference in Gettysburg, one of my favorite places in history. Been there long before I started flying and we're going back next Summer on Vacation. While I'll not be flying I intend to need a new DSLR by the time we come home. They have added so many enhancements to the area it's just stunning. It's absolutely how now it's treated with the Honor and Respect it truly deserves. Your pictures are just breath taking. I'd love to see even more. I can't wait to go to Harper's Ferry and walk the town.

That's fantastic! I love the area so much. My Wife just came home from a week long Conference in Gettysburg, one of my favorite places in history. Been there long before I started flying and we're going back next Summer on Vacation. While I'll not be flying I intend to need a new DSLR by the time we come home. They have added so many enhancements to the area it's just stunning. It's absolutely how now it's treated with the Honor and Respect it truly deserves. Your pictures are just breath taking. I'd love to see even more. I can't wait to go to Harper's Ferry and walk the town.
Here's some more pics from last month. Light quality was poor that day, very hazy, blue and muted. I did the best I could with color grading.

48964443448_516ca60b3c_o.jpg48965171812_a4616a5d90_o.jpg

Reactions: Tweeter and PAW
It still looks very stunning. You really hit a home run on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair