DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone created a custom calibration profile in Lightroom for the Mavic 2 Pro?

CincyTriGuy

Reactions
I've noticed the Mavic 2 Pro consistently oversaturates blues in the shadows. I can't seem to get the blues, and the shadows, to a state within Lightroom that I'm really happy with and I usually need to take images over to Photoshop to really get the color right.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this about the blues, and if so do you have any Lightroom color correction settings you could share which consistently balances and corrects the color? For example, my Canon DSLR's consistently shoot warm so I have Lightroom import profiles specific to each camera which balances the color to my liking upon import. But for the life of me I just don't like the way the M2P exposes blues in the shadows and I have to fix it in Photoshop because I'm never happy with what I can do in Lightroom.

I've noticed the Mavic 2 Pro consistently oversaturates blues in the shadows. I can't seem to get the blues, and the shadows, to a state within Lightroom that I'm really happy with and I usually need to take images over to Photoshop to really get the color right.

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this about the blues, and if so do you have any Lightroom color correction settings you could share which consistently balances and corrects the color? For example, my Canon DSLR's consistently shoot warm so I have Lightroom import profiles specific to each camera which balances the color to my liking upon import. But for the life of me I just don't like the way the M2P exposes blues in the shadows and I have to fix it in Photoshop because I'm never happy with what I can do in Lightroom.
Mavic 2 D-Log LUT
LUT User Guide

This works for D-Log and is directly from DJI

LUT's are for video editing, Lightroom is for photo editing.

Videos are just a bunch of photos played back quickly. The process of imputing a pixel value into a color “Look Up Table“ to get a new pixel value is exactly the same. Those presets in Lightroom are just a collection of LUTs along with various sharpeninto preset levels. They can be found in the presets folder of the lightroom and photoshop app resources folder in your library

I've seen various LR presets for various drones but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for LR color calibration specific to the M2P. The idea is to get to a "correct" representation of each color which is fundamentally different from applying an effect preset; a preset is more about creating a specific "look".

Gotcha

I've seen various LR presets for various drones but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for LR color calibration specific to the M2P. The idea is to get to a "correct" representation of each color which is fundamentally different from applying an effect preset; a preset is more about creating a specific "look".

Thats what I sent you in the first post. There are “camera LUTs” which is designed and offered by the manufacturer to convert or “calibrate” a Log color profile into a typical color profile in post. Which is what I sent you.

There are also creative LUTs which are designed to give a certain “look.” However, the mechanics of how the two change the original pixels to the new value is the same.

I think I may try shooting an 18% gray card with my M2P and then use the white balance eye dropper in Lightroom to see how far off it is. Not sure if this will accomplish anything but I’m up for experimenting.

I think I may try shooting an 18% gray card with my M2P and then use the white balance eye dropper in Lightroom to see how far off it is. Not sure if this will accomplish anything but I’m up for experimenting.
I think it is worth a try. I've had some luck using one with color grading before.

Yea that is the only sure fire way to set white balance.

I think you are right, the OP is confusing color balance and the Lens Calibration module in LR which is used to correct lens distortion, chromatic aberration, etc.

The blues in his shadows is a white balance issue.

Thats what I sent you in the first post. There are “camera LUTs” which is designed and offered by the manufacturer to convert or “calibrate” a Log color profile into a typical color profile in post. Which is what I sent you.

There are also creative LUTs which are designed to give a certain “look.” However, the mechanics of how the two change the original pixels to the new value is the same.

Yes, I completely understand this. The reason I pushed back is because Lightroom had never never supported LUT's which makes this a moot point. However after doing some research I now see that a recent LR update does allow you to create a profile based off a LUT so I'm working through that now. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, I wasn't aware that feature had snuck in.

And to your other point, no, I'm not confusing color balance with white balance. Even when white balance is properly adjusted, this camera still has a tendency to oversaturate blues in the shadows.

Yes, I completely understand this. The reason I pushed back is because Lightroom had never never supported LUT's which makes this a moot point. However after doing some research I now see that a recent LR update does allow you to create a profile based off a LUT so I'm working through that now. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, I wasn't aware that feature had snuck in.

And to your other point, no, I'm not confusing color balance with white balance. Even when white balance is properly adjusted, this camera still has a tendency to oversaturate blues in the shadows.

In the “split-toning section” you can adjust the white balance, saturation, and remove remove hue selectively from highlights and shadows. In HSL you can selectivly adjust a single color. I find using adjusting the luminance of the blues helps with what you are experiencing.

You can also do a selective adjustment with the brush tool and then add a mask based on luminance to refine the area affected by the adjustment brush.

I know what what you mean by the blue in the shadows and you are right it’s not simply a matter of white balance.

I have been searching and I'm surprised there isn't a Lightroom profile available this device. I am considering making my own with an X-rite Color Checker. That should resolve all of these issues. I'm sure others have already made them, just doesn't seem that they're putting them online.

Reactions: justcruisin
I made profiles for my Mavic 1 Pro today with the Colorchecker Passport. So far I only have sunny afternoon and cloudy afternoon (4:30pm about 2 hours before sunset on Maui). Those along with ones for my Anafi and other cameras are here: Share

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov