DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone heard of a Mavic damaging property? (USA)

Is that State Farm coverage for your drone in case of loss (like comprehensive insurance for a car) or does it also include liability coverage for damage that may be done to another's property or a person from your drone? Those are two different types of coverage.

First, you are not actually "in business" if you can't afford the insurance, etc., but you are still liable - and no one in their right mind will hire you. Second, as with all liability, you can't begin to imagine what you might damage or how, or what will be claimed.

I apologize for not answer your questions - which I will give to your second question. Stay in school and take some business classes; hire on with a reputable "drone" company part-time/intern and make sure you are indemnified thru them. While still in school and working for the company, take the time to set your business up right & log as much flying time as you can.

I have completed 30 paid missions with my MP and can offer this bit of experience on the topic of insurance.

VeriFly is great if you are doing less than say 7 flights a month or so because after that you start paying more per month than if you had your own liability insurance.

Plus as BD0G says be sure to read the fine print. I did one mission that was in the area of a private heliport and the price jumped to $25 per hour. I had to check a box that confirmed I contacted the heliport operator and got permission to fly there. Time was wasting and it took over 2 hours for the guy to call me back with permission. My point here is if I checked the box without getting permission (lying) and I had an accident VeriFly would have just cause to deny any claim.

My biggest fear is the same as InvisibleName mentioned above. Hitting someone in the eye or other part of the face. Especially a child.

I had an accident where a blade came off at about 100' AGL and the MP flew wildly in circles and crashed hard enough to the ground to cause about $400 worth of damage. Of course I wasn't flying over people but there were people about a block away and I don't know how far an errant 3-blade Mavic Pro can travel. This is where I worry about hitting someone in the face. For the record I don't think you have to worry about blades coming off in flight. My situation was that I replaced the blades onsite (mistake) at the start of the mission and my hands were very cold and prevented me from doing or verifying a proper installation.

Currently my liability insurance is covered by the company that supplies most of my commercial missions. That's a good thing...
Otherwise I use VeriFly but I am sure to check the fine points as discussed.
My own MP and property is covered by something called an Inland Marine policy from State Farm.

I'm not saying this is how everybody should do it I'm saying this has worked for me...

State Farm only charged me $60

I think maybe the difference is $700 is an average cost for a liability policy (injury to a person or property other than yourself) and $70 is an average cost for a policy that covers your own equipment only.
I'm no insurance expert though...

First article, Drone did hit helicopter, 2nd article is not verified but if true think about the lawsuit. Helicopter guy is in deep poo over his "accident".

Hit and damage my windshield in any way at all is $1,400 plus installation. I don't care if you barely chip it or if you fully crack it, it's your fault and you'll fix it to how it was before: with an OEM replacement.

LOL - Good luck with that, Mr Muh Lexus. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Late to the party comment here, but there was a dash cam video of a drone bouncing off a car's windscreen on the Sydney Harbor bridge a while ago.
Apparent the drone hit the bridge and fell into the car.
An illegal flight so highly unlikely to have had insurance.

Hello there,

This is an open-ended question. I am just looking for some guidance based on your experiences, or your knowledge.

I recently got FAA certified and I’m looking to launch an aerial photography business. At the moment, I will be working alone, but I am doing this that way I can legally register my drone for commercial use.
Since this is my own corporation, I know that I will be responsible for any damage to a client’s property, as well as my own property. The thing is, I’m a full time college student, do not currently have a job, and I cannot really afford State Farm’s $700/year insurance premiums. However I have DJI Care for my Mavic in case I crash it working for a client.
My reasoning is that a Mavic is very light and I have not heard of one breaking someone’s window or busting into someone’s roof. The Mavic also has obstacle avoidance to prevent certain accidents.

What I would like to know from you is, have you ever heard of a small drone doing $500+ damages to property? And if you were in this situation like I am, what would you do?

Your responses are appreciated.
For $75 a year you can join AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) which will provide you with $2.5 million insurance coverage. However that may not apply to commercial applications.

For $75 a year you can join AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) which will provide you with $2.5 million insurance coverage. However that may not apply to commercial applications.

AMA has a separate policy available for for commercial operators.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61