DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone read this study?

I think that the FAA lacks the man power/motivation to enforce anything minor....

Funny that the couple in UT was actually using a drone to spy on people in their homes. When random idiots ask me who im spying on I guess there is some basis for that....lol

Reactions: Blades
The new FL law sounds like a tort law that just allows lawsuits but no criminal penalties. Tort laws vary by state. This law sounds more like its attempting to protect people when they have "reasonable expectations of privacy."

As long as youre not literally in someone's backyard like the UT couple I wouldnt be too concerned.

Ive found that at about 350ft I can barely hear my MP. If you have annoying neighbors it might difficult to fly in your neighborhood. I recently had a neighbor say she called 911 while I was hovering when I first got my bird.

Theres a regional US section here on the forum. You should read/ask around there for where the FL folks are flying. Im sure theres a FL facebook drone group as well.

Ok thats good so how high should I be flying above as to not get someone trying to accuse me of spying on them? My neighbors are real busy body jerks and I'm sure the first time I take it up they would call the cops. I just got it and have only used it inside my house. I would like to fly it but where? A park? I know they stopped us from flying in parks now.
High enough you aren't looking in their windows.[emoji6] If someone calls you out, offer to show them what you've actually filmed and they may realize that the were not even noticing them when filming.

While the Mavic has a good camera, it's not Google Maps. If people understand what we actually film, they'd be much more comfortable. That said, don't hover and give them reason to worry.[emoji4]

I can't read anything more than the first page of the stories, even tapping into the various links I can't read the story... what am I missing?

I've struggled with this a little; I live in Australia where the privacy laws are bit more outcomes based, however I recently got on the wrong end of some abusive old jerk who accused my of spying on him - while flying in the public park that he lives adjacent to. He demanded that I show him all my footage or he'd call the police, which I told him he was welcome to do. While I agree that showing these people footage of what we're actually shooting would appease them, isn't our privacy also protected? I asked him to show me his camera roll on his phone because I thought he'd been taking photos of me; he refused because it was private without noticing the irony of the situation.

You know at the end of the day I think we're at yet another frontier of the privacy domain - how many people would have been comfortable with putting their whole life on social media 20 years ago? I think as the tech proliferates, perceptions will change, but it'll take time.

From a more legal perspective, hierarchical legislation doesn't necessarily 'trump' lower level laws, they're designed to be complimentary. In this example, being allowed to fly your UAV under the FAA regulations doesn't permit you to break state based privacy laws - you have to comply with both. As always, both legislation and common law usually lag technological and social advances, so something will always sit in this grey space of 'not really sure how to deal with it'. These things are usually clarified by either a prosecution or a tort, or a successful defence against either. Just hope you're not the test case...

People are really twitchy about this, some of them anyway. I think we should respect that. Stay above 200 feet and keep moving and I don't think anyone will think you are spying on them.

I have spoken to my neighbors prior to receiving my MP, explained my position and offered to show them video at any point, and that if there is any situation talk before running too the law.

Reactions: geigy and Blades
Maybe DJI could offer an accessory to drop leaflets to the neighbors :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sound