DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anyone tried iPad mini 6 as remote screen yet?

I don't think the Mini's have improved much dealing with bright sunlight.

Some of the Apple products get hot and the screen dims to help stay cool.

I used to fly with a Mini 4 and a four sided hood similar to this one if I couldn't find a shade tree or wear a sombrero.

I ended up purchasing a Tripltek Pro 7" last year and like it a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gagey52
Mini6 works for me. Sun hasn’t ever been a problem. I’ve lived in it for several decades. I just use a big hat and find shade to stand in. That’s been the routine for all the years I’ve lived here. The faster processor is a real benefit.

Just bought the mini 6 I am looking for the longer usb c cord for the R1 N1 controller. Usb-c to Usb- c . Help

Just bought the mini 6 I am looking for the longer usb c cord for the R1 N1 controller. Usb-c to Usb- c . Help

A tablet adapter like this should allow the use of the stock cable that DJI provides.

I used a similar one for my Mini 4 before I purchased a Tripltek tablet .

This is my opinion from the few years I have been flying. I have some apps that require IOS so for them I have used the iPad 7, iPad 8, and a iPad 10.5 Pro. The average iPad only has 500 nits brightness and the pros usually have around 600 nits brightness.

apple-ipad-spec.jpg
As stated above the iPad's will dim in the sun and even shut down due to heat which can be a issue when you are on a job site trying to accomplish your work for the day. This can happen even with no case on it and using a sun hood.

If you have the money and are not forced to use a IOS device due to using a particular app. I would encourage you to look at the Tripltek 8 Pro. It is very bright and will not shut down or dim on you in the middle of flight. Also with its 12200mAh battery it will last ALL day!
Here you can see brightness test or the new iPad 12 Pro M1 vs a Tripltek

Reactions: MA2 317
This is my opinion from the few years I have been flying. I have some apps that require IOS so for them I have used the iPad 7, iPad 8, and a iPad 10.5 Pro. The average iPad only has 500 nits brightness and the pros usually have around 600 nits brightness.

View attachment 141987
As stated above the iPad's will dim in the sun and even shut down due to heat which can be a issue when you are on a job site trying to accomplish your work for the day. This can happen even with no case on it and using a sun hood.

If you have the money and are not forced to use a IOS device due to using a particular app. I would encourage you to look at the Tripltek 8 Pro. It is very bright and will not shut down or dim on you in the middle of flight. Also with its 12200mAh battery it will last ALL day!
Here you can see brightness test or the new iPad 12 Pro M1 vs a Tripltek

Why do ipads dim in the sun? That would be very annoying and possibly a dealbreaker for me. I don't think the DJI Fly apps really push these hardware on the ipads when running.

I am guessing this always happens? If so then I see the ipad being useless as a drone screen remote.
Depends I guess on how much you intend to use the device and the temp/humidity of your location in the sun and heat of the day. Where I am located at during the hot humid summer months it is a problem for me. I have had to stop flying and land the craft on many job sites due to it dimming and not being able to tell if I was taking the photos/video I needed or just shutting down due to heat build up.
I don't dislike the iPad as a device in general and must use them for particular jobs due to app being used. I do wish Apple would build a military spec device or something for outdoor use in general vs something for your office or living room.

I was just giving my honest opinion on what device works great in the direct sun and being able to handle that all day long.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002