DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has the mavic mini wind resistance been improved?

Korrd

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Hi there.

While it should be able to withstand winds up to 8 m/s (28.8 km/h), I was out flying today and noticed that it managed to do proper station keeping with winds of 44 km/h, which is also the maximum speed this bird can fly at on sports mode.

I was wondering whether it got an upgrade during one of its many software updates, or if it has always been like that.

Vic

No amount of software can overcome physics. It will rotate and throttle to it's max to try and hold position, but that doesn't mean it will be stable.

The wind rating is obviously less than the drone's max speed. It needs enough of a performance pad to make it home and to make good headway against a headwind. Depending on the the area and topography, wind can vary significantly from place to place even locally in your area. Where I live, in the lee of the Sierra of the prevailing wind, we can have it blowing like stink from one direction, then switch to almost the opposite almost instantly - it's called rotor turbulence, sort of like a wave breaking in the ocean. Similar or different phenomena occurs elsewhere, so that the wind speed you read on your anemometer won't be what the drone is experiencing. Bottom line, especially for for Mini, don't fly in strong conditions, wind often increases with altitude, that's the rule, but the rule doesn't always hold, sometimes there's a low altitude shear line that has the wind blowing at different speed and velocity, with often light to moderate turbulence at the shear line. Short final in my plane can be way different than turning base to final. Don't [push the envelope and don't be the former owner of a flyaway!

I am quite sure it was on 44 km/h winds as I measured it myself using an anemometer.

My question is: given that the specs say it can hold position on 8m/s winds, can it also do so at higher winds? Experimental evidence seems to indicate that it can do so, henceforth its specs on paper are purposefully conservative (possibly to avoid flyaways by unwary pilots).

While it should be able to withstand winds up to 8 m/s (28.8 km/h), I was out flying today and noticed that it managed to do proper station keeping with winds of 44 km/h
How reliable is that wind speed?
Where did it come from?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahb