DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Having a dedicated phone for flying how do I set it up so maps work?

Firedragon61

Reactions
I've dug out my Sony 10 to use instead of my Google pixel 4, you've guessed it my pixel won't work anymore because of the Android 11 up date. I've taken my Mavic mini out to day but after being pretty nervous about I actually had a very successful flight took it ft280 up ft950 away, the problem was i have no SIM in the Sony so just on WiFi when I launched the mini it said its updated the RTH and check it on map, there's map showing? But it did return home safely.two questions, was I taking a big risk and luck to get the drone back and if I'm going to use the Sony as my dedicated device for flying how do I get the maps on to the device? I did try to tethering and hot sporting the device to my pixel but even tho it said they were connected it didn't work and kept saying tethering error

Two questions, was I taking a big risk and luck to get the drone back
No .. RTH only depends on the drone recording a homepoint before you launch.
It has nothing to do with the map.
The map is just an optional accessory for flying and not really needed anyway.
if I'm going to use the Sony as my dedicated device for flying how do I get the maps on to the device?I did try to tethering and hot sporting the device to my pixel but even tho it said they were connected it didn't work and kept saying tethering error
Sort out your tethering issue and it should work just fine.
Or cache the maps at home on wifi.

Reactions: FlyoverDRN
No .. RTH only depends on the drone recording a homepoint before you launch.
It has nothing to do with the map.
The map is just an optional accessory for flying and not really needed anyway.

Sort out your tethering issue and it should work just fine.
Or cache the maps at home on wifi.
thanks for the response when you say cache the maps is this Google map or something else? Can't find anything on Google maps to let me do that? Sorry for being a bit thick but I've only just got into the hobby and still feeling my way round it

thanks for the response when you say cache the maps is this Google map or something else? Can't find anything on Google maps to let me do that? Sorry for being a bit thick but I've only just got into the hobby and still feeling my way round it
You cache maps in the app you use to fly.

In the Google maps app, click on your profile (top right) and you'll see an option for offline maps.

If you've got a Pixel, it might be possible to downgrade from the Android OS 11 update. Assuming it's unlocked or you've got developer access.
It was "mavicpilots members" that kept me from "doing" the update my Pixel 3xl. Thank You.

In the Google maps app, click on your profile (top right) and you'll see an option for offline maps.

Genuine question - can maps stored for offline use in the Google Maps app be used by the Fly app? I thought the Fly app cached it’s own maps.

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22
Genuine question - can maps stored for offline use in the Google Maps app be used by the Fly app? I thought the Fly app cached it’s own maps.
Since the app has its own map caching process, I imagine that's the one to use? But, like you, I'll wait to hear more.

Since the app has its own map caching process, I imagine that's the one to use? But, like you, I'll wait to hear more.

I've tried caching an area using just the Fly app (without opening Google Maps in the same area) and it works well so it would appear that the Maps app doesn't need to be involved in the process. There's a useful video here:

Reactions: Firedragon61
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580