DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Having trouble getting the controller and AC to talk...

New England Droning

Reactions
I live in class G airspace (in between but outside B and D) Just to be clear that I don't have any issues with DJI or Aloft where I am at...

I like to go straight up 100-200' and catch the sunsets and awesome cloud displays but sometimes I need to get off the ground in a minute or two to catch what is out there. But over the past couple of weeks on various occasions I turn on the controller, with the phone already connected, then I turn on the Mini2 and wait for them to connect.... and then I wait some more minutes go by... I turn off the controller and on and wait for them to connect... I turn off the AC and back on and nothing... eventually they do connect after 5-10 minutes of frustration...

I found last weekend at the Quechee balloon festival that turning on the controller brings up aloft instead of turning aloft of I minimized it on the phone and the controller and the AC were now connected. (I already knew there were no TFRs or restrictions in my area) So I went up and got a birds-eye view of the balloons.

a couple of nights ago I am sitting on my deck and I tried that again and no luck. minimized aloft and still would not talk to the AC and visa versa...

Ok... Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to go buy that $750 controller? I can spend the money but I want to know it will fix my issues and make it easier to get of the ground on the mark and not make me wait, and wait, and wait some more...

I hope that having patience, while a virtue is not the answer I get back... :)

You don't need any tablet or phone plugged in to connect the RC to the drone and fly and control it. Test connectivity with your device removed. If it won't connect or control the drone without a tablet, it won't with it either!

Reactions: New England Droning
You don't need any tablet or phone plugged in to connect the RC to the drone and fly and control it. Test connectivity with your device removed. If it won't connect or control the drone without a tablet, it won't with it either!
Never knew that... I will try that this morning and report back.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
You might need to give me more to go on. I tried to power on the drone and then the UC but it needs the phone to connect the two. I tried to push up on the joysticks and nothing happened. I had a slow flashing green light (6 flashes) and two slow red flashes repeating.
I then plugged the phone in and it all immediately connected and had no issues. I got the go fly instead of the connection directions. I flew it out 20' and back but way too windy. I landed (ok crashed into a tree at the edge of the deck, got snagged on the branch) turned it all off and back on again several times, and as of now... it's connecting and ready to fly no problem...

I thought pushing up on the controllers would start the props? I've looked through the settings and it only says emergency stop, nothing about manual start to the props... Anyway, we'll see the next time I take it out and see what it does...

You might need to give me more to go on. I tried to power on the drone and then the UC but it needs the phone to connect the two. I tried to push up on the joysticks and nothing happened. I had a slow flashing green light (6 flashes) and two slow red flashes repeating.
I thought pushing up on the controllers would start the props? I've looked through the settings and it only says emergency stop, nothing about manual start to the props... Anyway, we'll see the next time I take it out and see what it does...
Slow Green flashing = GPS enabled
Slow flashing Red = Low battery. Motors won't start so you can't take off with a low battery.
Led States.jpg

How to use the sticks to "Start/Stop" the motors when you have a charged battery...
StartStopMotors.jpg

Here's a link to the Mini 2 User Manual. Good idea to save the PDF and read it several times. It's amazing at what I pick up each time I read it. I like to think that with gaining experience I understand it better and has probably nothing to do with my age...

Suggest you retry using just the Flight Controller and the AC with a charged battery in it and spin up the motors. You don't need the phone to fly VLOS. At least that is how it is with my Mini 1. Give it a try and let us know how it works out with the Mini 2.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent