DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hawaii Maui trip planned

rc51tofuman

Reactions
Hello all
We have a planned trip in November for 7 days to Maui.
I would like to recreational/fly my Mavic out there if at all possible. Any thoughts/recommendations?

We are staying at the Westin villa property.

Or should I just leave the Mavic home?

Thankyou in advance

Hello all
We have a planned trip in November for 7 days to Maui.
I would like to recreational/fly my Mavic out there if at all possible. Any thoughts/recommendations?

We are staying at the Westin villa property.

Or should I just leave the Mavic home?

Thankyou in advance
My advice would be to bring the Mavic. I never leave my drone if I'm going somewhere interesting. If we go on a walk, I bring my drone. Everywhere I go, my Mavic comes with me (That's a bit of an exageration but you get the point):):p Considering it's a Mavic, you don't really have an excuse. If it was a Phantom, then that's another story, but the Mavic can almost fit in your pocket! It small, and easy to carry around so why not? Considering you're going to Maui, it's almost abominable not to bring it!

Can the Mavic drone be traveled with by way of checked in luggage?

Sorry for the newbie question

Batteries must be separated from the drone. Drone must be in carryon. Contact your carrier for more specifics.
Actually, I’ve recently checked-in my drone and accessories in the hard case, and had the batteries in my carry-on backpack on my last few trips to Hawaii. This was flying on either Hawaiian or Southwest Airlines.

Maui is less restrictive than Oahu as there’s rarely any low-flying military aircraft, as you would see from at least four flying military bases on Oahu. Stay away from Kahului Airport for obvious reason. Use your LAANC app for the Kapalua and Kaanapali area, but Lahaina is surprisingly okay to fly. Hotel resort security guards will ask you not to fly from their property, but there’s enough public areas from which to fly. Have fun!

Please take caution around downhill streams during and after the heavy rain, as flash flood fatalities have taken place there recently around the Hana area. Rains start up again by your November trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: antonebear
Actually, I’ve checked-in my drone and accessories in the hard case, and had the batteries in my carry-on backpack on my last few trips to Hawaii. This was flying on either Hawaiian or Southwest Airlines.

Maui is less restrictive than Oahu as there’s rarely any low-flying military aircraft, as you would see from at least four flying military bases on Oahu. Stay away from Kahului Airport for obvious reason. Use yours LAANC app for the Kapalua and Kaanapali area, but Lahaina is surprisingly okay to fly. Hotel resort security guards will ask you not to fly from their property, but there’s enough public areas from which to fly. Have fun!

Please take caution around downhill streams during and after the heavy rain, as flash flood fatalities have taken place there recently around the Hana area..
Thankyou

Reactions: pelagic_one
Get an app like KittyHawk and check you locations out when you get there. They will tell you most of where you can fly and the NFZ's.

As stated, around the airport would be a definite no, but down around Hana and on the backside Haleakala would be great flying. Even going up on Haleakala for a sunrise would be great with a drone. Being a NP, I'd make sure it was good to fly up there.

Should also be some awesome flying up around Kaanapali / Kapula on west shore.

Even going up on Haleakala for a sunrise would be great with a drone. Being a NP, I'd make sure it was good to fly up there.
Awesome advice for other Maui spots, but as mentioned and reminded to me many times on the forum, National Parks are strictly no-drone zones.

But I will do what’s legal to get that shot. I’m thinking there are enough open flying spots near Keokea on the west foothills of Mount Haleakala to head up and get the sunrise, with just enough battery in a M2P/Z or MA2 to get back down. What’s not legal would be the BVLOS situation created by the distance. With early morning tour helicopters trying to get that same shot, more location scouting is needed.

I‘m planning to be on Maui in May, so I’ll share what I find out. It’s rough out there, but someone’s gotta do it! :cool:

Hopefully a Local or recent visitor can give other tips/spots sooner.

Reactions: rc51tofuman
Posting right now from one of the Westin properties on Maui.
Best advice: DO NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR MAVIC 2 PRO.
I have flown with my M2P on United, American, Delta and Alaska. I bring 3 batteries, each stored in a separate "explosion proof" bag. Including the drone and the Smart Controller, all are kept in my carry-on luggage. Each time I go through security, I report that I am carrying the drone and its lithium batteries in my carry-on. Never a problem. None of the airlines allow you to transport the batteries in the cargo hold.

As reported by others, there are restrictions due to several airports and Mount Haleakala which is a national park. You will find numerous locations along the Road to Hana. The best views, in my opinion, are usually from offshore. This trip, I found the northwest corner to be especially rugged and very impressive to see. This area is less treacherous and less traveled than the Road to Hana.

Attachments

• Maui - NW Corner - 031621 - Copy.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: rc51tofuman
Hello.

TAKE YOUR MAVIC! You never know when you just might get lucky [emoji106]. I use a nice camera backpack (Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 that has removable/adjustable Velcro dividers. It holds a lot. Mav 2, 4 spare batteries, smart controller, Mav2 original remote for back-up, iPad, etc. etc. If requested I can provide pics on how I have mine configured). It just fit under the seat in front of me (barely). Unless you have a hard case for your Mavic that can be locked, (TSA approved lock of course) take your drone in a carry on of some type if possible for your situation.

I was in Maui (Kihei) March of 2020. (Heading back next month again so don’t hate on me [emoji38]) I was flying from shore over the water about 100-150 yards out. Just minding my own business and just having fun when I spotted this guy. Please forgive some of the shoddy camera work ?.

Mahalo

Hello.

TAKE YOUR MAVIC! You never know when you just might get lucky [emoji106]. I use a nice camera backpack (Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 that has removable/adjustable Velcro dividers. It holds a lot. Mav 2, 4 spare batteries, smart controller, Mav2 original remote for back-up, iPad, etc. etc. If requested I can provide pics on how I have mine configured). It just fit under the seat in front of me (barely). Unless you have a hard case for your Mavic that can be locked, (TSA approved lock of course) take your drone in a carry on of some type if possible for your situation.

I was in Maui (Kihei) March of 2020. (Heading back next month again so don’t hate on me [emoji38]) I was flying from shore over the water about 100-150 yards out. Just minding my own business and just having fun when I spotted this guy. Please forgive some of the shoddy camera work [emoji1787].

Mahalo

Very cool
Thanks

Hello again... Not sure which airline you're taking to Hawaii, but here is a link to Alaska Airlines Lithium battery and drone policy. Scroll down about halfway for battery and drone info.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vishal@12